Alex Ferguson - "helping out" certain championship clubs.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
If he was sending RVP and Rooney to p'Boro then I think you would have a point to moan about (or at least the team who get relegated instead of Boro would) but these are 18/19/20 year olds were talking about. Hardly superstars are they?

Every industry in the world has people doing favours for mates or using contacts that they know so why not football?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I get fed up with hearing about the red nosed whinger. I really think he is getting too big for the game. He constantly goes over the top with his slagging off of officials, rival managers and players who have the temerity to disagree with his views. His snide remarks about Pardew forgetting the " Help " he has given him is just one of loads of examples. I just wish he would get his Champions League trophy and bugger off.

Great record -excellent manager but does seem to believe he is bigger than the game. time to go please.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Correct. Flatts was long before Dick TIGHt took over. I think the fact that Hoyte and Barrett were so shite shouldn't mask the fact they also lent us Steve Sidwell.

You forgot to mention Valur Gislason, who is in my top 5 worst Albion players ever. I think he'd have to have loaned us Fabregas to counteract the Gislason effect.

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
You forgot to mention Valur Gislason, who is in my top 5 worst Albion players ever. I think he'd have to have loaned us Fabregas to counteract the Gislason effect.

Oh I hadn't forgotten that complete pile of gash, but like Flatts he was pre-Dick Knight. And you're right, he was definitely top 5 worst ever. Am I right in thinking he played in the same side as Michael Mahoney-Johnson on one occassion? A truly dark time for The Albion that was.

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
This does not bother me as much as the Watford set up. I think the money men coming in and changing a team so dramatically with out actually spending any money (well very little money) just goes against the grain.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oh I hadn't forgotten that complete pile of gash, but like Flatts he was pre-Dick Knight. And you're right, he was definitely top 5 worst ever. Am I right in thinking he played in the same side as Michael Mahoney-Johnson on one occassion? A truly dark time for The Albion that was.

Gislason played at Priestfield so he was definitely in the DK era. I don't think he played in the same team as MMJ - he was a few months earlier IIRC - but MMJ was certainly another shocker.

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
Gislason played at Priestfield so he was definitely in the DK era. I don't think he played in the same team as MMJ - he was a few months earlier IIRC - but MMJ was certainly another shocker.

I stand corrected Sir. As a matter of interest who are your all time top 5? I think I'd have to go :

Gislason
MMJ
Ashley Neal
Damien Hilton
Geoff Cooper

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I stand corrected Sir. As a matter of interest who are your all time top 5? I think I'd have to go :

Gislason
MMJ
Ashley Neal
Damien Hilton
Geoff Cooper

I'd have the same top 3 definitely and GC is a good call, I'd forgotten him. I think I'd have Joe Dixon in there somewhere - I've never seen a footballer look less interested. I'd like to have a place for Tony Burns, a goalie more interested in his hair than stopping shots.

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
I'd have the same top 3 definitely and GC is a good call, I'd forgotten him. I think I'd have Joe Dixon in there somewhere - I've never seen a footballer look less interested. I'd like to have a place for Tony Burns, a goalie more interested in his hair than stopping shots.

Like me, you go back a long way. I remember Burns. I'd have to say the other Hilton, Pat, from the 73-74 era was pretty dire as well.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
It happens a lot in football, friends help each other out, with the ferguson family it is more obeverse!, however I am sure most people including you would help a friend or family member out if you could, I know I would!, for exampleif i was manager of West Bromwich Albion and you was manager of Tamworth I would help you!, I promise!

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
But surely thats one of the perks of having a certain manager. Would we have played Chelsea in the summer if we had Russell Slade as our manager still? What's the main reason we drew Vicente to the club? I didn't see people complaining then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports