Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alcohol related violent crime

simon195

Sep 11, 2007
ban the stuff, or make it all alcahol free ...simple

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
What about a complete ban of alcohol in supermarkets and get rid of off licences, if you want a drink go to the pub or brew your own (If you're having a party you can get a keg from your local brewery). However this might drive cheap alcohol under ground, however it would make it harder to come by

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Nothing should be banned. As soon as governments get involved things go wrong. If anything teach children to respect alcohol. There are no problems like this in countries like Italy and France. They seem to have a different attitude all together.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Put a higher punishment on alcohol related crime / drunk and disorderly etc.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Agreed.
Either that, or make the alcohol content in booze so small that you'd have to drown before you got drunk.
It's a stupid 'high', if it can be even called that.

I do agree with this, i never drink anything over 4% but i really wouldnt care if it was only 1% or less. But again it's alcohol being consumed by loose cannons where the biggest problem lies

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Stop promotional sales of alcohol - from happy hours in pubs to discounts in supermarkets; from Diamond White to vintage champagne. You don't get cigarette promotions.

True if pints costed £3 a pint say, then it would be more diificult for the scum, who are causing much of the violence, to be able to afford, also perhaps upping the drinking age to say 22

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Put a higher punishment on alcohol related crime / drunk and disorderly etc.

I am not sure that really works. Generally, people are not in control of themselves to think about punishments.

Why not change our whole way of being?

For a start, pubs and clubs have to change their whole attitude. Frequently, I am sold alcohol when they should not be doing so. Thankfully for them and the residents of London, I am a lover and not a fighter.

I don't think the happy hour abolishment will make many inroads. People are always going to find a way to get booze cheaply.

It is no surprise that we, as a nation, tend to go mad on a Friday or Saturday. We work the longest hours, we commute the furthest and we have the least bank holidays in the whole of Europe (probably).

I am working on a plan.

Lush

Mods' Pet
People are always going to find a way to get booze cheaply.

True - but don't you think that not flogging it cheap in pubs, clubs and supermarkets would help? Happy hours/booze deals in supermarkets seem to make binge drinking acceptable. I think there's a lot to learn from what's happened to smoking.

Don't get me started on Carnage UK ...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
True - but don't you think that not flogging it cheap in pubs, clubs and supermarkets would help? Happy hours/booze deals in supermarkets seem to make binge drinking acceptable. I think there's a lot to learn from what's happened to smoking.

Don't get me started on Carnage UK ...

Possibly, but the only way is to increase tax massively and that would be too much for any political party.

I think we need to get to the root of the cause. Alcohol is much cheaper in many of our sister countries in Europe, but they do not have the same sort of problems.

I think it would be a short term fix and wrongly punish those that are capable/willing to abide by unwriten and writen rules.

I am coming up with a dossier to send to the Government :sadbastardalert:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
True if pints costed £3 a pint say, then it would be more diificult for the scum, who are causing much of the violence, to be able to afford, also perhaps upping the drinking age to say 22

Raising the age as in Ammerica doesnt sort the problem. Minors still get alcohol and the problem is pushed underground or out into the streets and parks rather then in pubs and clubs.

On the contient it is common for children to be given alcohol (albeit watered down wine) with their meals,

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton
I am not sure that really works. Generally, people are not in control of themselves to think about punishments.

Why not change our whole way of being?

For a start, pubs and clubs have to change their whole attitude. Frequently, I am sold alcohol when they should not be doing so. Thankfully for them and the residents of London, I am a lover and not a fighter.

I don't think the happy hour abolishment will make many inroads. People are always going to find a way to get booze cheaply.

It is no surprise that we, as a nation, tend to go mad on a Friday or Saturday. We work the longest hours, we commute the furthest and we have the least bank holidays in the whole of Europe (probably).

I am working on a plan.

But they are in control before they start drinking, so punishments can work in my opinion if its done properly.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
1. A graduated introduction:
weak beer/cider (under 3%) at age 16
normal beer (under 5%) at age 18
wines and spirits at age 21​

2. Stop selling alcohol in supermarkets, only in pubs (with off sales for taking home)

3. Automatic 1 year ban from all licensed premises in town if convicted of an alcohol related crime and the publishing of name/address/photo in local paper.

4. Fine the parents of kids found drunk in the street.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But they are in control before they start drinking, so punishments can work in my opinion if its done properly.

I am sure most people believe they are in control before they commit a crime (unless pre-planned).

Have you never nipped out for a swift pint and ended up drinking dry a brewery? Luckily for society, I assume you are capable of getting home without breaking laws along the way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
After reading about the guy that got beaten to death after someome stole his girlfriends haloween hat. This is just one case of thousands that happen every year

What's the solution?

What would you do if you were in power?

firstly, fortunatly ( in a perverse, wider context, not to ignore the personal tragedy) this was acatually a isolated and extreme case. thats why it was in all the papers, the day someone gets killed in a drunken fight and we dont hear about it nationally, thats the day to really worry. there isnt an immediate solution unless you want to ban all alcohol, and i for one would be steadfast against that. some education might help, who knows. i dont know where the reality stops and the media hype begins anymore on this subject, as an ex doorman in London who only had to deal with a handfull of serious situations and nothing like this. i think the issue is a wider one, people who have no sence of responsibilty either personally or for the rest of society. alcohol isnt really the problem, to paraphrase Goldie Looking Chain: alcohol doesnt start fights, people do.

Stop promotional sales of alcohol - from happy hours in pubs to discounts in supermarkets; from Diamond White to vintage champagne. You don't get cigarette promotions.

this is NOT the problem. the incident occured at 3:30am in Sutton and there are few notable promotions here ( i live here). the "promotions" thing as far as i can tell is a northern thing, at least i've never found a £10 all you can drink in the south east and happy hour usually means cocktails for £4 rather than £6.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here