Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alcohol related violent crime

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Legalize Marijuana. People will be chilled not Pissed/Agro - Problem solved.

Marijuana - Everyone will sit at home eating and laughing.
Booze - People out Causing damage to property and damage.

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
There seems to be a lot of good ideas mentioned-of which the government is too weak
to introduce. It makes you wonder how much money political parties get from the drinks
industry!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There seems to be a lot of good ideas mentioned-of which the government is too weak
to introduce. It makes you wonder how much money political parties get from the drinks
industry!

I honestly don't think it's that simple. No matter how much you raise prices, for example, the people who drink simply to get drunk will still find a way to pay for it. Look at smoking: the one group of society in which smoking has not declined significantly in recent years is the poorest. If people on income support can find a hundred & fifty quid a month for fags, so they'll always do the same for other vices like drinking.

The desire to go out, get ruined and twat someone comes from your background and moral standing, not the fact you've had a drink. We all like a drink, but 99% of us don't feel the need to fight as a result, therefore the only way to get to the bottom of it is to target the underlying attitude of those who do.

And I've never yet heard a convincing solution to that problem.

1. A graduated introduction:
weak beer/cider (under 3%) at age 16
normal beer (under 5%) at age 18
wines and spirits at age 21​

2. Stop selling alcohol in supermarkets, only in pubs (with off sales for taking home)

3. Automatic 1 year ban from all licensed premises in town if convicted of an alcohol related crime and the publishing of name/address/photo in local paper.

4. Fine the parents of kids found drunk in the street.

5. Carry MACE or pepper spray, and f*** UP any little scumbag who has a go, with a quality dose to give him summat to think on for a few hours of pain. :thumbsup:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Vary, very simple solution.

Alcohol ASBO's - Twaddle!

Banning 'Happy Hours' - Twaddle!

Enforce the current laws as they stand. It is illegal for a landlord to serve a drunk - enforce it. It is illegal to be drunk and disorderly in a public place - enforce it. It is illegal to serve under 18's - enforce it.

Simples.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Force kebab shops to shut before the pubs chuck out. Shame to punish innocent kebab shop owners but kebab shops act as a magnet for ferals and usually feature somewhere in these horror stories.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The desire to go out, get ruined and twat someone comes from your background and moral standing, not the fact you've had a drink. We all like a drink, but 99% of us don't feel the need to fight as a result, therefore the only way to get to the bottom of it is to target the underlying attitude of those who do.

in a nutshell. not all, but i'd wager that most people involved in fights when drunk get involved when sober. Alcohol (like all drugs) is a mood enhancer: if you are happy, it makes you merry, if you are depressed takes you down, if aggressive it makes you violent.

how much do political parties get from the drinks industry? well, the government certainly gets billions in excise and the indsutry employs hundreds of thousands.

Enforce the current laws as they stand. It is illegal for a landlord to serve a drunk - enforce it.

this seems to be the elephant in the room. the laws exist, but people say you cant enforce them. somehow the answer is to create new laws... which wont be enforced? if they can be, then why not the existing ones? doesnt make sence does it, only serves the politicians being seen to do somthing.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Scum bread Scum, I think we are too far down the line to ever get the problem under control. It all comes down to education and being brought up properly. Labour have tried pushing family values with incentives for married families etc etc but too many people not fit to be parents, they then produce these c nts that have screws loose which comes out when off head

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think we need to get to the root of the cause. Alcohol is much cheaper in many of our sister countries in Europe, but they do not have the same sort of problems.

This is largely true, I have lived in two European countries with far more liberal drinking laws than exist in the UK (Belgium and the Netherlands)...from my recollection town centres were safe places to be after dark and at weekends, largely free from alcohol fuelled mayhem...the only times I ever saw any trouble it involved British people.

I think it is down to attitudes, on the Continent alcohol is largely respected, whereas in the UK it is abused...until we can change that the current issues regarding alcohol consumption will continue unabated.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
First, start with the breweries, bars and clubs. This industry - having made its profit - then dumps its waste(d) products into the street for the emergency services to clear up.

Second, allow the NHS/hospitals/ambulance service to fully charge for the treatment given to those under the influence caused by their being under the influence. Why should we have to pay?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I know it's a bit archaic, but public humiliation punishments, could be a good deterrant for those who cause violence whilst under the influence

They go out on the Friday get pissed, cause violence , then sober up on the saturday, with one of these humiliation techniques

Attachments

• humiliation_mask.thumb.jpg
    humiliation_mask.thumb.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_5420.JPG
    100_5420.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 35
  • abc_gma_boy_sign_080208_ms.jpg
    abc_gma_boy_sign_080208_ms.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 37
  • scoldsbridles14753b7xl8.jpg
    scoldsbridles14753b7xl8.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 44
  • 225px-Pillory_9105377.jpg
    225px-Pillory_9105377.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 36

Nov 7, 2009
3. Automatic 1 year ban from all licensed premises in town if convicted of an alcohol related crime and the publishing of name/address/photo in local paper

If convicted? No chance of that happening. People are wasting their time having this debate as under any party it'll still be the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here