Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Anyone else getting tickets to Nick Caves film album launch at the dukes? Not many left.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Seems to be running 8-11 Sept. The splendid Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival is on 9-11 Sept this year, so will have to look to go on the 8th.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Another thumbs up for the new Melt Yourself Down.

Also listening to The Painted Bird (a new ensemble playing John Zorn tunes) and I recently discovered the Canadian trio Big|Brave (but the album Au De La came out last year). They are on Southern Lord so that'll give a rough idea of their sound!

I've had a scoot through your recommended bands. Will get that new Big Brave thing and The Painted Bird too, but can you recommend one album each from Trio VD, Roller Trio and Zu.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've never seen this before, a 360 degree Youtube video. It's a new track from Wild Palms new album 'Live Together, Eat Each Other'. I'm not too sure of the song itself, it's a bit wishy-washy until the last minute of the tune but the way that you can play around with the angle of the video is very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ame2zJYjPOM

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone else getting tickets to Nick Caves film album launch at the dukes? Not many left.

Trying to but tickets not on sale yet. As an aside he seems to have another film soundtrack for release plus there's a tour in the pipeline. Good news.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I've had a scoot through your recommended bands. Will get that new Big Brave thing and The Painted Bird too, but can you recommend one album each from Trio VD, Roller Trio and Zu.

Not a lot to chose from with TrioVD and Roller Trio. I'd recommend Maze and Roller Trio respectively though.

With Zu, I'd suggest Carboniferous or Cortar Todo. Both a good reflection of the baritone sax blowing, heavy overdriven bass and drums that their known for. They released a Cd with Mats Gustafson a few years ago but I don't have that. Zu played that Wire curated festival a couple of years ago. They played the Albert in the afternoon on the same night that Swans played.

Speaking of which, 12 days and counting until the new Swans album is released.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been listening this evening to a new album by Fiona Brice 'Postcards From'. It's a classical music album with just violin, piano and cello and each tune named after a place. She's well known in the pop world having done orchestral arrangements for Kanye West, Jarvis Cocker, John Grant et al and this is her first solo album. The piano pieces especially remind me of Olafur Arnalds and overall the album has been perfect for a Sunday night.

https://soundcloud.com/fiona-brice/sets/postcards-from-fiona-brice

There's even a remix of the track 'Berlin' on Youtube that sounds to my ears kind of like the very start of a Trance track before the beat kicks in.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Speaking of which, 12 days and counting until the new Swans album is released.

I can't help but be put off by the Gira quite possibly being a rapist thing and the moreso the disgusting reaction of a lot of Swans fans to the allegation.

On that sort of subject - did anyone see this that kicked off at Glastonwick at the weekend first hand or know any of the background? It's not really my scene. This guy sounds disgusting - https://www.facebook.com/thetuts/posts/1192722900758659

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Have heard three good tracks off of this, hope it appears before August.

Haley-Bonar---Impossible-Dream---(LP---Download).png

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Currently very much enjoying the Gold Panda album 'Good Luck and Do Your Best'. I very much recommend it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Thanks for the heads up on the Gold Panda, will check it out. I've been listening a lot to the Moonface and Siinai album - 'My Best Human Face' and loving every minute of it. They have a bit of an 80s vocals sound but to a heavy driving guitar sound, a bit difficult to describe especially his vocals - he does sound like someone but can't put my finger on it - but well worth a listen. This track especially is real "up and at 'em".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_77XUg95Q8

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thanks for the heads up on the Gold Panda, will check it out. I've been listening a lot to the Moonface and Siinai album - 'My Best Human Face' and loving every minute of it. They have a bit of an 80s vocals sound but to a heavy driving guitar sound, a bit difficult to describe especially his vocals - he does sound like someone but can't put my finger on it - but well worth a listen. This track especially is real "up and at 'em".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_77XUg95Q8

Thanks for sharing this, I bloody love Spencer Krug. I was obsessed by Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer. Fairly sure it was my AOTY for 2009.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We're obviously (approaching) half way through the year:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/jun/08/the-best-albums-of-2016-so-far

Any thoughts on this, or anyone want to offer their own list?

Ha! Thanks for posting this. Goes to show how much good new music is out there. I thought I listened to a lot of music and but I've only heard 3 of the 20 albums listed (Radiohead, James Blake, Anohni). I'll have a shufti through my music and try to come up with a best of list - although it's more likely to be just a 'most listened to'.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ha! Thanks for posting this. Goes to show how much good new music is out there. I thought I listened to a lot of music and but I've only heard 3 of the 20 albums listed (Radiohead, James Blake, Anohni). I'll have a shufti through my music and try to come up with a best of list - although it's more likely to be just a 'most listened to'.

Surprised that you haven't heard Blackstar or The Hope Six Demolition Project. I suspect that the latter will be in an end of the year list for me, as will Anohni and, hopefully, Radiohead, although I'm yet to hear that yet.
I'd be interested to see your list, as you're a prodigious contributor to this thread, but the volume of your output doesn't chime with my listening and buying patterns.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surprised that you haven't heard Blackstar or The Hope Six Demolition Project. I suspect that the latter will be in an end of the year list for me, as will Anohni and, hopefully, Radiohead, although I'm yet to hear that yet.
I'd be interested to see your list, as you're a prodigious contributor to this thread, but the volume of your output doesn't chime with my listening and buying patterns.

The Hope Six and the Algiers album are getting a lot of turntable time with me currently. It's difficul to say which PJ albums are her best as they're so varied but I am coming round to the idea this is hers. I also banged on about how Let England Shake was a complete work of art on all levels; this is next level. The stories about, and back lashes associated with, certain songs are interesting on their own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here