Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Leader of Sons of Kemet is Shabaka Hutchings. He also plays in Melt Yourself Down and is in the Floating Point touring group. Tom Skinner plays drums in both groups as well. Check out their first release, Burn, too.

I have quite a few The Thing releases. I'd recommend Bag It and Boot. I love their cover of the nail will burn on Shake. They've done a few collaborations with luminaries such as Thurston Moore and Ken Vandermark over the years.

There's also groups like Troyka, Trio VD and Roller Trio who are at that cutting edge UK jazz scene. They're worth checking out.

Thing + Neneh Cherry too.
Thanks for all of this. I don't know about Trio VD and Roller Trio, so will check those out. Given all this, I'm presuming I don't need to bang on about how good last year's Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival was, and that there's one going ahead this year, same weekend as last year in mid-September.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Would go along with that Pigbag association, although I do find it difficult to find links with other bands, as MYD are characterised by such an eclectic and distinctive combination of sounds, styles and influences.

I'd agree MYD's sound is eclectic. I'd would suggest though that James Chance and the Contortions is an influence.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Thing + Neneh Cherry too.
Thanks for all of this. I don't know about Trio VD and Roller Trio, so will check those out. Given all this, I'm presuming I don't need to bang on about how good last year's Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival was, and that there's one going ahead this year, same weekend as last year in mid-September.

Of course, Cherry Thing, superb.
I'll throw one more Uk recommendation your way, Led Bib. A London five piece with two saxes but I don't think part of the Fire Collective.
I was gutted to miss last years alternative jazz festival due to bad domestic planning! (wife away and home alone with the kids) but will hope to be there this year.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Of course, Cherry Thing, superb.
I'll throw one more Uk recommendation your way, Led Bib. A London five piece with two saxes but I don't think part of the Fire Collective.
I was gutted to miss last years alternative jazz festival due to bad domestic planning! (wife away and home alone with the kids) but will hope to be there this year.

Yup. I know Led Bib, but since you mention Fire (Collective), I also trust you're aware of Fire! and Fire! Orchestra, two more of Mats Gustaffson's projects.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Yup. I know Led Bib, but since you mention Fire (Collective), I also trust you're aware of Fire! and Fire! Orchestra, two more of Mats Gustaffson's projects.

Lol, I think we have similar tastes! We corresponded about Phronesis the other week too.

Broadening the euro jazz core spectrum, Italian trio, Zu?

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
The Thing did that album a few years ago with Neneh Cherry with a great version of Suicides Dream Baby Dream on it?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Phonesis are great. Saw them live at The Cockpit Jazz in the Round, bass player is one of best I've seen. Good to see some jazz fans on here. Maybe we need a separate thread....

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Thing did that album a few years ago with Neneh Cherry with a great version of Suicides Dream Baby Dream on it?

They did indeed. I'm of the view that their new album is their best yet, although the redoubtable one might differ on that. If you like them, try Fire! and Fire! Orchestra too. They're both Mats Gustaffson's projects, the former a three-piece similar to The Thing but a little more restrained, the latter is an extended version that can go up to about 28 members.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Some good jazz influenced stuff this month.

Melanio De Biasio has a new EP out. Blackened Cities. Haven't heard it properly yet but No Deal was my album of 2014, and she doesnt do too much, her voice is incredible.

Melt Yourself Down - Last Evenings, stripped down Algerian influenced punk funk, reminds me a bit of Rip Rig and Panic in places.

Pressure 75 - Meltdown. - Love this, again stripped down and got the funk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvAVdygFJ7U

Cheers for that one bolded in particular :thumbsup:

It's a very good description of a great, energetic album. I'd tried to imagine what it sounded like from your description and wasn't far off, though I have heard the second track on 6 Music a couple of times and it stood out on there too.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Phoria - Volition

Another album out on Friday and this is a Brighton-based band. They've been around for a few years with a couple of EPs to their name but this is their first full LP. At it's fastest it's the sort of electro-pop that bands such as Hurts do well, radio-friendly with catchy hooks and beats. At other times it's more James Blake or Autechre and they are quite keen on throwing in choral and classical instrumentation. I've been listening to it tonight and I'm quite impressed. I do wonder though that this dreamy, breathless singing style will become cliched and old hat soon as it is very popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdZsAtDuPfQ

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The black and white cover looking to me like a still from an Anton Corbijn video and the album title 'Transmission' both reference Joy Division (if somewhat obliquely) in my opinion and it doesn't end there. The music itself has a certain intense, impersonal feel to it that I also feel when listening to Joy Division. The first track is 12 minutes long with the first few minutes being drone gradually replaced with a fuzzy techno. It's a welcome return for the London duo with a very bass heavy collection of tunes. The whole album works on so many levels that it's impossible to try to pigeon-hole it with a single genre description, there's electronica, all-out techno, experimental sound - it's like no other Death In Vegas album before it. I think it's going to be one of those that you will have to keep going back to, to try to get your head around it all. It's going to be on quite a few end of year best of lists though, I reckon.

This track 'You Disco I Freak' is a techno-lite Chemical Brothers-esque number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-nlvSKFLs8

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A few more:

Britta Phillips - Luck or Magic
Luna bassist and partner of Dean Wareham with an album comprising originals and covers. Her voice makes this album, she has an excellent singing voice and can mix the styles with ease. The album moves from country to 70s Carpenters/Dusty Springfield/Evie Sands ballads to 80s synths effortlessly. It's not got anything particularly novel although the slowed down synth version of The Cars 'Drive' is interesting but what she does do, she does very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrOpkUxhntE

On Dead Waves - Ondeadwaves
A collaboration between Essex singer/songwriter Polly Scattergood and Maps' James Chapman. I've been a big fan of Polly's for a long time but her career seemed to have stalled recently and her music was stuck in a bit of a rut. This sees a departure from her usual electro-pop towards a bit of country-folk, a bit of downtempo pop and a cinematic feel to a few tracks. It's the first time I've heard her duet and I think she sounds better for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9-HZK7yXwg

Jarvis Cocker - Likely Stories EP
The soundtrack to the TV series based on Neil Gaiman's short stories, each track compliments each other with all 4 tunes being variations on a theme and sharing little hooks, riffs and the like. This is all too short for my liking, I've listened to this EP so many times already and I'd rank it as good as any solo work I've head of his. Sadly, no links but it might be on Spotify or iTunes.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Calling [MENTION=21731]JCL666[/MENTION]. Here's that new Avalanches track ' Frank Sinatra'. Not sure it's all that. It's okay, it's very catchy but not jaw-dropping 'wow'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjfspM5sDIA

The new album 'Wildflowers' is confirmed as out on 8th July.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...-song-and-video-and-reveal-full-album-details

Hmmmmm

Not quite what I was hoping for. The main riff sounds like something from their first album, but..... it doesn't really do that much. It's kind of interesting from about 3 minutes onwards as the sound of music sample kicks in.

Not really an MF Doom fan either.

Jul 7, 2003
Looking forward to the release of the new Volbeat album out tomorrow

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I keep returning to that Whitney album and also Beth Orton's new one.

Another I've been listening to this morning is London singer/songwriter Gabriel Bruce ' Come All Sufferers'. It's a cross between David Bowie, Nick Cave and The Cult to my ears. It's a shame that I can't find a stream for Sacred Heart or the title track from the album but here's a couple of tracks from the album. I wasn't too sure at first but it's growing on me after the third or fourth listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf8SqdKvQ-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWtX7JpDRlk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here