Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I have been sent the new John Grant long player by those lovely people Rough Trade. First listen I was a bit meh; possibly because of the ridiculous level of expectation I have heaped upon it. Very very pleased to say it's a grower. Some truly wonderful songs are now starting to appear.

Is it back to being more like Queen of Denmark? I remain unconvinced by the gone electro of Pale Green Ghosts (realise I'm in the minority here.)

Just read further down and seen someone mention Tracy Thorn so I'm guessing not.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is it back to being more like Queen of Denmark? I remain unconvinced by the gone electro of Pale Green Ghosts (realise I'm in the minority here.)

Just read further down and seen someone mention Tracy Thorn so I'm guessing not.

Hmm.. not sure if you'll be totally enamoured with this album then. The Gus Gus techno influence is still very evident in this new album too. Amazing to think he can go from the Americana-laden sound of The Czars to full blown techno. Can't be too many musicians who can claim that range.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Albums that have left me cold:

Hurts - Surrender

They've not gone anywhere since their first album. This new one is auto-tuned to hell and by the sounds of it deliberately pitched for lots of commercial radio play. Maybe I'm just not their target audience.

Ben Folds - So There

I've listened to it 3 times and no track has stuck. Not sure I'll bother again. Ballads by numbers.

New Order - Music Complete

Terribly pedestrian. They've lost their knack and all that's left is run of the mill electro and cheesy disco. I quite like the guitar based tune (can't remember the name) but other than that - nope.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The album is certainly not a return to QoD. Sonically it's a continuation of Pale Green Ghosts idea but with the benefits of a bigger budget and a big name producer. It's sounds a more accomplished and confident step up and slightly away from PGG. The electronics sound funkier; the balladry more lush and fuller in sound. If PGG didn't win you over I'll be interested if this does.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've been enjoying Rival Consoles, Girl Band, Holter, Protomartyr over the past week or so.

All really strong. It's hard to believe that a band as young as Girl Band have got it so right.

Shame the Protomartyr/ Sauna Youth show is the same night as Deerhunter. Still not totally made my mind up.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The album is certainly not a return to QoD. Sonically it's a continuation of Pale Green Ghosts idea but with the benefits of a bigger budget and a big name producer. It's sounds a more accomplished and confident step up and slightly away from PGG. The electronics sound funkier; the balladry more lush and fuller in sound. If PGG didn't win you over I'll be interested if this does.

Interest slightly piqued. Just didn't think his voice went with the music on PGG. Will give it a go and report back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interest slightly piqued. Just didn't think his voice went with the music on PGG. Will give it a go and report back.

You might be in luck then, as he does play around with the effects on his vocal in a few tracks.

Please do report back; I'm keen to hear what you think.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003

It feels like a natural progression to me. First track very QofD then move into PGG and develops. Weight of expectation was great but I was impressed. Looking forward to seeing/hearing it live.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It feels like a natural progression to me. First track very QofD then move into PGG and develops. Weight of expectation was great but I was impressed. Looking forward to seeing/hearing it live.

It's stuck on play now. Loving the wonky pop of Down Here.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Has anyone had much of a chance to spend some time with the Deerhunter album? Gave it a cursory listen just now, surprised by how upfront the vocals and production are, it appears to be the most straight forward thing they've done. Need a few more listens to work out if it's any good or not.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Has anyone had much of a chance to spend some time with the Deerhunter album? Gave it a cursory listen just now, surprised by how upfront the vocals and production are, it appears to be the most straight forward thing they've done. Need a few more listens to work out if it's any good or not.

My personal jury is still out. There seem to be some nice moments, but nothing that says this is an album to come back to again and again. Still, early days......

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
My personal jury is still out. There seem to be some nice moments, but nothing that says this is an album to come back to again and again. Still, early days......

What was the last one of theirs you did go back to time and time again? Probably Microcastle/ Weird Era for me. I liked bits of Halcyon and enjoyed Monomania, whilst simultaneously thinking it was a bit lazy.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
What was the last one of theirs you did go back to time and time again? Probably Microcastle/ Weird Era for me. I liked bits of Halcyon and enjoyed Monomania, whilst simultaneously thinking it was a bit lazy.

I'm happy to listen to all of them except Monomania every now and then. However, they've always included a proportion of needless filler tracks on their albums which sound like they took minimum effort to write and record - which serve to make the killer tracks stand out even more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here