Albums Thread - 2015

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And I'm getting through repeated plays of Sugar Now by Cristobal and the Sea. Get if you like Fleet Foxes, The Magic Numbers and bilingual lyrics, which I do.There's even a little nod to dub.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm a bit late to the Föllakzoid party but boy what an album. Some obvious nods to kraut rock and wonderfully hypnotic and thoroughly enjoyable.
Same. Really enjoyable but I don't think I'd want to listen to it all day.

Beach House - 'Depression Cherry'

One of my favourite dream pop bands with a very subdued but quite gorgeous album. I might even go so far as to say that this is up here with the very best dream pop I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot, esp the Scandinavians). It really is music to daydream to. Highly recommended.
Enjoying this one at the moment. :thumbsup:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
ANOTHER new Beach House album out 16 Oct ..bonkers (in a good way).

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The new track of the upcoming Deerhunter album - Breaker - is absolutely bloody amazing. With this and Snakeskin I cannot wait to hear this album in full!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Enjoyed this review of John Grant's new album, especially the first paragraph:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/01/john-grant-grey-tickles-black-pressure-review

And I'm getting more and more attached to Julia Holter's new album. There's a lot of talk associating Joanna Newsom with Kate Bush. I don't know Newsom's work, but I've heard a track or two of hers on 6 Music, and it seems as though she wants to sound like Kate Bush. I think Holter is far more like Bush, not because she's trying to sound like her, but because there's a creativity and other-worldliness to her work that is inspiring. Track 8 on the album is one of the best songs I've heard this year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any thoughts on the new PIL long player? Opening track sounds a bit Sleaford Mods. Some good moments and I love the last track Shooom with it's techno styling and rant vocal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Enjoyed this review of John Grant's new album, especially the first paragraph:

Think this album will be quite special. I have tickets to see him again in November.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Looking forward tot his to, like you say both tracks are excellent, playing in Hove later this month.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Any thoughts on the new PIL long player? Opening track sounds a bit Sleaford Mods. Some good moments and I love the last track Shooom with it's techno styling and rant vocal.

Now Johnny Rotten performing live for The Sex Pistols in the 70s is one of the most exciting things to behold. John Lydon, by contrast, I find entirely tiresome. I think I've heard that Sleaford Mods-esque track and that just about says it all, he's derivative, and a has-been. Derivative has-beens, in my book, should be ignored, so this post is an example of a performative contradiction.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
My favourites so far
Richard Thompson - Still
Roisin Murphy - Hairless Toys
Yo La Tengo - Stuff Like That There
The Fall - Sublingual Tablet
Haven't got round to the new Low lp and I am looking forward to the new Euros Childs one too.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Now Johnny Rotten performing live for The Sex Pistols in the 70s is one of the most exciting things to behold. John Lydon, by contrast, I find entirely tiresome. I think I've heard that Sleaford Mods-esque track and that just about says it all, he's derivative, and a has-been. Derivative has-beens, in my book, should be ignored, so this post is an example of a performative contradiction.

In contrast it continues to get a suprising number of repeat plays from me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been sent the new John Grant long player by those lovely people Rough Trade. First listen I was a bit meh; possibly because of the ridiculous level of expectation I have heaped upon it. Very very pleased to say it's a grower. Some truly wonderful songs are now starting to appear.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I have been sent the new John Grant long player by those lovely people Rough Trade. First listen I was a bit meh; possibly because of the ridiculous level of expectation I have heaped upon it. Very very pleased to say it's a grower. Some truly wonderful songs are now starting to appear.

Will give it another go, wasn't that keen on first listen.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Will give it another go, wasn't that keen on first listen.

After Pale Green Ghosts it was kind of hard to know where he'd take it. For me that took confessional singer / songwriter to its outer limits. I'm pleasantly impressed with the new one, LOVE the track with Tracey Thorn on.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
After Pale Green Ghosts it was kind of hard to know where he'd take it. For me that took confessional singer / songwriter to its outer limits. I'm pleasantly impressed with the new one, LOVE the track with Tracey Thorn on.

Thought that was the stand out track to. I'm sure the rest will grow on me.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Kiwi, acoustic folk. Any fans of Joan Shelley or similarly the singer/songwriter stuff, this is wonderful. Truly special.

51rK+tGyS8L.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I agree completely. It's what ruined it for Antony Hegarty in my opinion. I think I even said on here that I was worried that JG would box himself into a corner if he kept on banging on about his issues in his music. Got to say that i love the new album from first listen. There's the old school piano ballads that he does the best, no-one comes near and then the funkier stuff is very cool. Got to love his habit of name-dropping too. From Joan Baez to GG Allin via Angie Dickinson. This is a magnificent album. The Tracey Thorn song is, as you say, just lovely. I'm so pleased and relieved it's not another collection of confessionals. He's just brilliant. Stand out track for me is Global Warming.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
An album that I've been returning to again and again is Waxahatchee's 'Ivy Tripp'. Sort of fuzzy lo-fi guitar indie folk with lots of Pixies, REM influences. It wasn't an instant hit with me but it just gets better and better with every listen. The album has her playing at various times fey indie, grunge and three minute pop. If you're a fan of Sea of Bees, Courtney Barnett and especially Frankie Cosmos and the like then I think you'll like this too.

This is the grunge (lite)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJOUIA_rDI

and this is the pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLNT_R7IKY

seriously, how good are those songs?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports