Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums 2024

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
New Four Tet album out today... drinking coffee and listening to this whilst i work. First impressions are very good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My favorite album of the year so far is the quite stunning release from Julia Holter. Simply put, it’s beautiful and magical. So much that me and the missus both have a vinyl each.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Not an album yet, but the lead single from Einsturzende Nuebauten's latest is a banger

Nice. As an aside, I see Blixa from time to time. He used to have an office in the next door apartment block and his kids go to the nearby school. I also saw him sitting in a local bar, on his own, in a big furry coat for hours one evening looking more and more sinister as the evening progressed.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Nice. As an aside, I see Blixa from time to time. He used to have an office in the next door apartment block and his kids go to the nearby school. I also saw him sitting in a local bar, on his own, in a big furry coat for hours one evening looking more and more sinister as the evening progressed.
Brilliant...I bet breezing up to him asking for a selfie not a good idea

The new album out today as excellent as always...Nice trip to London to see them in September booked up

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
My favorite album of the year so far is the quite stunning release from Julia Holter. Simply put, it’s beautiful and magical. So much that me and the missus both have a vinyl each.
Not sure if you've ever heard of him, but can I recommend a DJ called Stephen McCauley? His recent shows are on BBC Sounds - in particular you might like the Celtronic 2024 episode. He plays quite a lot of mainstream indie stuff (all fine but stuff you've heard before) but also downtempo electronic stuff most of which I would never hear anywhere else (and is really good IMO).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure if you've ever heard of him, but can I recommend a DJ called Stephen McCauley? His recent shows are on BBC Sounds - in particular you might like the Celtronic 2024 episode. He plays quite a lot of mainstream indie stuff (all fine but stuff you've heard before) but also downtempo electronic stuff most of which I would never hear anywhere else (and is really good IMO).
Thanks for this, and no I haven't heard of him. I’ll give it a listen and report back.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Been a quite frankly ridiculous year for UK so far with really good projects from Potter Paper, Ghetts, Unknown T, Jimmy, Rimzee, Songer & Marnz Malone*

Highlight for me though is Marnz recording a very solid verse from his jail cell, only for Potter to drop one of the verses of the year.

*Probably a list for @Pogue Mahone and not many more people tbh :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had a lovely evening at Rhinoceros (a Japanese style jazz listening bar) listening to a pre-release playback of Shabaka Hutchings’ new album.

Look forward to @Machiavelli thoughts on this long player.

5979CA49-20C7-42F2-9D89-EAEF75CF79DA.jpeg
D4342CE5-F839-486E-939A-7456AA04B0C0.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

boik

The new Libertines album is very good.

Reminds me a lot of some of Blur’s more recent output.

Some great songwriting and very well produced.
"Very well produced" is a phrase that instinctively puts me off something. Probably the reason why I prefer most bands first albums, before the record companies pay for someone big to produce it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, but haven't listened in a while. I saw her play at Komedia about a decade ago.
Possibly on the same tour I saw her. Her last two albums have drifted away from the more conventional song structures of her past long players. I love her current one...seeing her tomorrow night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here