Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums 2024

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
First purchase of the year is the Bill Ryder-Jones record ‘Iechyd Da’. Lovely record, lots of clear influences (SFA, Flaming Lips, The Beatles) and all the better for it. There are some great moments in this and flows like a dream.

He’s playing Chalk in March too with a full band and additional players, which will be nice.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Good to hear another good review for that album. my copy is in the post. I particularly liked the Far Out magazine comments "For Fans Of: crying on a Sunday while watching Planet Earth III, pledging an inspired £5 to WWF and binging on Earl Grey, following 12 pints on Saturday."

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
First purchase of the year is the Bill Ryder-Jones record ‘Iechyd Da’. Lovely record, lots of clear influences (SFA, Flaming Lips, The Beatles) and all the better for it. There are some great moments in this and flows like a dream.

He’s playing Chalk in March too with a full band and additional players, which will be nice.
Just listened to this the other day, and I really enjoyed it. Good writing, and lovely production. You mention influences: I thought I heard clear homage to Sparklehorse at times, and I’m more than fine with that.

It will be interesting to hear how it translates live, given all the choral and string parts.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just listened to this the other day, and I really enjoyed it. Good writing, and lovely production. You mention influences: I thought I heard clear homage to Sparklehorse at times, and I’m more than fine with that.

It will be interesting to hear how it translates live, given all the choral and string parts.
I just listened to this this morning. Very good. I heard Spiritualised and Velvet Underground.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

This album is a thing of beauty

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
New Smile and Gruff Rhys albums on Friday I think. I have bought tickets to see The Smle as the newly named Uber Eats Music Theatre.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House

Yep mine too

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The quite mesmerising Julia Holter has a new album and tour in the spring. Tour tickets aside, I have also managed to get an invite for a listening session and Q&A next week. Need to think of some questions to ask her.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bumper day for new music today. New releases from Gruff Rhys, Ty Segall and The Smile.

If this were Sky, it would be called Super Friday or something.

I'm kicking off with Gruff and coffee....a lovely way to start a Friday.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Bumper day for new music today. New releases from Gruff Rhys, Ty Segall and The Smile.

If this were Sky, it would be called Super Friday or something.

I'm kicking off with Gruff and coffee....a lovely way to start a Friday.
Yup, also looking forward to checking this out…

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This is almost certainly going to be in my Top 10 at the end of the year.

'The Album' by Bright & Black features classical compositions performed by the Baltic Sea Philharmonic. The compositions themselves have been written by musicians from some of the biggest metal bands around - members of Opeth, Meshuggah, Apocalyptica, Entomed A.D. are all involved amongst others.

It's fantastic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just giving Wall of Eyes a first spin. Read the Room is my pick so far (which is another way of saying, I'm only three songs in).
Not as 'immediate' as the first album BUT it's a grower......

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

I thought it odd that Resident hadn't fulfilled this order yet but it seems that the label weren't anticipating quite so much demand. The vinyl is out of stock everywhere.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This is almost certainly going to be in my Top 10 at the end of the year.

'The Album' by Bright & Black features classical compositions performed by the Baltic Sea Philharmonic. The compositions themselves have been written by musicians from some of the biggest metal bands around - members of Opeth, Meshuggah, Apocalyptica, Entomed A.D. are all involved amongst others.

It's fantastic.

That is terrific.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been listening to the new Gruff Rhys album a lot. There are some absolutely lovely moments on it...as usual.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Instead of the Luton game I went to the office of Domino Records and had a play back of the new Julia Holter album with her in attendance. There were 10-15 of us in this lady's office listening and then we could talk to Julia. The office is essentially a ground floor apartment which they share with Ninja Tune. A great experience listening to and talking with Julia.

Whilst waiting I was having a nose at some Pavement albums (a band I know a lot about but have rarely if ever listened to), and the last Steve Mason album, in this lady's office and she said they were promos and could keep them.

I'm happy with how my Tuesday went.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here