Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion v Saints - atmosphere

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Watched the Luton highlights from last night - only 1,000 but sounded great in comparison to the piped in stuff. All depends on the performance I guess, Charlton were crap so their fans weren't particularly loud, Luton were good so their crowd were - same as it has always been. Only weird thing was when Norwich equalised and their bench were the only people in the whole ground celebrating.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Those that managed to get a ticket should firstly be over the moon and secondly go batshit mental and storm the away end vigorously waving bags of Werthers , 2 meters apart obviously .

All joking apart I would like to think those that do go will give it a bloody good go vocally , interestingly the Charlton manager was less than impressed with the Charlton fans last night , saying " the only thing I could hear from the fans was people moaning rather than getting behind the team" .

Of course we don't have any moaners in our ranks do we .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Watched the Luton highlights from last night - only 1,000 but sounded great in comparison to the piped in stuff. All depends on the performance I guess, Charlton were crap so their fans weren't particularly loud, Luton were good so their crowd were - same as it has always been. Only weird thing was when Norwich equalised and their bench were the only people in the whole ground celebrating.

I really dont get this shit. If the team you support are not doing well, you sing louder to help them to be better, no? Its how it works pretty much in every other league. That weird penalistic culture - "if you dont perform, we dont sing" - really has no winner except the opponents.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I really dont get this shit. If the team you support are not doing well, you sing louder to help them to be better, no? Its how it works pretty much in every other league. That weird penalistic culture - "if you dont perform, we dont sing" - really has no winner except the opponents.

It isn't as simple as not doing well though.
The fans singing/player's performance is a symbiotic relationship

In my experience, the fans will respond with more increased singing when their team:

- goes behind
- scores
- starts getting under the cosh
- is battling in a sustained rearguard action against a much better team.

If the player's respond positively, then the singing increases, but when there is little/no response from the players, the singing tends to die off.
If the players don't turn up, it's hard to get a sustained response from the crowd (overall)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Are air horns permitted?

tenor.gif

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Come on, we live in the real world, not a happy clappy world when what we should do actually plays out...
I will admit to plenty of times watching the Albion over the years, when we have played poorly or just been outclassed when I have thought what is the point, the sick feeling in your stomach as another pass goes astray, the groan and hands clasped together resting on my bald bonce when we fail to clear or are just playing utter shite... I don't feel like singing, I don't feel like geeing the players up, I am not the one on several grand a week, just to be honest, sometimes don't feel players are worthy of my effort to encourage them, it works two ways...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Is that correct? Have checked the Ground Regulations and they are not specified. Anything that could be used as a weapon is banned however so suppose that could catch it. Have asked the Club to clarify.

One of the blokes I go with used to take one for the first few seasons but is no longer allowed to!

I’ll be intrigued to hear what response you get.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It isn't as simple as not doing well though.
The fans singing/player's performance is a symbiotic relationship

In my experience, the fans will respond with more increased singing when their team:

- goes behind
- scores
- starts getting under the cosh
- is battling in a sustained rearguard action against a much better team.

If the player's respond positively, then the singing increases, but when there is little/no response from the players, the singing tends to die off.
If the players don't turn up, it's hard to get a sustained response from the crowd (overall)

Absolutely! If the game turns out to be a bit of a damp squib, the crowd will reflect that. In response to [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION], I have supported the Albion through thick and thin. I go to games to watch my team play football. Sadly, my mood is often dictated by this in the moment, and if we are playing poorly it hurts on an illogically personal level. In caring that much it is often hard to be something other than a reflection of what is happening on the pitch. Football is never as simple as losing = singing more. Charlton fans have had a far harder last decade than we have, and their support can hardly be put in to doubt because they don't sing when their team don't turn up. You've also got to remember that expectations are ridiculously high as we've not been allowed to go for so long, and this was the first opportunity for Charlton fans to see their team (finally) under new ownership. Reacting to your team being dominated by much weaker opposition by being feverishly upbeat doesn't really make sense.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Atmosphere was great for the Chelsea Friendly, I really should not have been surprised at what a noise 2K exited fans can make.

Whitehawk have a brilliant atmosphere with a fraction of that. Just hope the team turn up, going to be a tough game.

el punal

Atmosphere was great for the Chelsea Friendly, I really should not have been surprised at what a noise 2K exited fans can make.

Whitehawk have a brilliant atmosphere with a fraction of that. Just hope the team turn up, going to be a tough game.

I must admit 2K exiting fans can make a hell of a din going into the concourse - whether they’re excited or not depends on how good the game was. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here