Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Managers since 1987

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not again , Do any of you truly remember Barry Lloyd. Taking a half decent team and trying to find gems in non league football at the expense of better players. In bed with a dodgy board. OK had a good season which was followed by relagation. I remember becoming so frustrated by him and his lack of relationships with the fans while he continued to chain smoke by the pitch. I reckon he was involved with the financial downfall , very dodgy bloke

Adams
Taylor
Gritt - heart says this one

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Barry Lloyd-Very mixed some great players brought in(nelson,codner,bissett)but never has a manager had such a crap pr profile.Licked up too much to stanley and archer and should off walked a season before he did.

Liam Brady -Very over rated but had some good contacts at least he stood up to the wankers running the club and helped set the ball rolling for Dick Knight

Jimmy Case-Poor bloke top player top bloke but a pile of shite as the manager (ashley neal,derek allan,gary hobson)

Steve Gritt :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: kept us up sacked to soon

Jeff Wood :jester: :jester: :jester: nice bloke though

Micky Adams
By a country mile the reason we are punching above our weight the man was tailor made for the albions needs at the time was and always will be my best manager ever at the albion

Peter Talyor
Used the club to better himself how can blame him even if Knight had given him lots of money to spend still would of quit

Hinsh
Dick Knight biggest mistake

Steve Coppell
Great manager and if we had still had him we would of gone up as champs and be mid table by now.Coppell loved this club and wanted to stay again enough said

Mark Mcghee
Not as good as some have said but not as bad as others have said.Mcghee has been used to working with a lot bigger budgets and has made some howlers in the market.How ever should be given till the end of the season at least

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Dougal said:
Not again , Do any of you truly remember Barry Lloyd. Taking a half decent team and trying to find gems in non league football at the expense of better players. In bed with a dodgy board. OK had a good season which was followed by relagation. I remember becoming so frustrated by him and his lack of relationships with the fans while he continued to chain smoke by the pitch. I reckon he was involved with the financial downfall , very dodgy bloke

Adams
Taylor
Gritt - heart says this one

Yeah I agree all was not good in the world of Lloyd, but he did put together a half decent team for a couple of seasons. It was his continued gambles in the non league that finally killed him off, though if Mark Gall hadn't got injured / thrown out I think he might have been around a bit longer - for better or worse!

Mark (better than Small) Farrington was a total disaster for him, and I agree I think he got too invovled with the board and some of the decisions that were being taken at the time. Didn't he want us to move to Beeding cement works? In the end I was glad he went.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As far as Lloyd as concerned I believe Harty (who at the time was no Lloyd fan) enjoys telling the tale of how Lloyd offered Archer "outside" :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

If only Lloydy had a chance to smash that c unts face in.

I believe that Lloydy was 100% Albion even tho he was out of his depth. Bit like Graham Taylor and Magoo.

Last edited:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
As far as Lloyd as concerned I believe Harty (who at the time was no Lloyd fan) enjoys telling the tale of how Lloyd offered Archer "outside" :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

If only Lloydy had a chance to smash that c unts face in.

I believe that Lloydy was 100% Albion even tho he was out of his depth. Bit like Graham Taylor and Magoo.

Lloyd was in the job for 6 years took as up once took us down twice and got as one game away from the old 1st divison he was not out of his depth just such a crap pr man thats why the fans never loved him

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think the Gritt case is an excellent parallel to our current situation. You can only do so much with limited resources and can only punch above your weight for so long.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Voroshilov said:
I think the Gritt case is an excellent parallel to our current situation. You can only do so much with limited resources and can only punch above your weight for so long.

agreed, but I don't think MAgoo can punch at his own weight

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Legendary as Gritt was, he was very lucky to have such a good Goldstone crowd behind the team for those last 12-15 home games.

Away we couldnt buy a point but in front of the North Stand we were awesome!!

Case was toilet, players wanted Wood in, fans didnt!

Adams and Coppell stand out as best managers we've had in my time since I started following back in the 80s.

zefarelly said:
1 - no he f***ing hasn't, he rode on someone elses work/back to scrape us into the championship, kept us up with a lot of luck, now he's been found out and we're going down.

2 bollocks, he built a good squad that won and played entertaining football, pretty consistently

hmmmm i seem to recall a sizeable Adams out chanting session
around the time we lost 3-2 to chester

and yes he did get lucky with Zamora. I thought that 100k on a kid was a HUIGE gamble for us (welll not really a gamble because we knew how good he was) but Adamns also signed Aiden Newhouse, Jamie Campbell, Phil Stant, Martin Thomas, David cameron, Darren Freeman, Mark cartwright, . When it came to chosing players he had no prior knowledge of, his record was in and out

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
1 McGhee - who else has kept us at this standard since 1991? Adams had loads more dough to spend in Div 3!

2 Adams - passion and standards were quality

3 Coppell - committed to the cause.. just not for long enough

4 Gritt - gave his all.. shafted by having to release players

5 Taylor - did what was necessary, but no great shakes. Compare his dire celebration speech in the dressing room compared to the antics when we won the play offs

6 Brady - provided hope when there was none. Would have done better in other times

7 Horton - Entertainment

8 Lloyd - better relations with fans would have served him better

9 Case - heart in the right place, but no idea of training and tactics. Apparently Fozzie said the training was running round a field 40 times

10 Hinsh - way out of his depth

11 Wood - hopelessly outclassed

- Booker - doesn't count as manager

I need teepee

Jul 30, 2005
Hove
I would have to say Adams as top man, with Gritt coming a close second for the great escape.
I also reckon if Liam Brady managed us under a better regime his record would be fantastic. His international contacts are second to none and would have brought in some very good players.

I need teepee said:
I would have to say Adams as top man, with Gritt coming a close second for the great escape.
I also reckon if Liam Brady managed us under a better regime his record would be fantastic. His international contacts are second to none and would have brought in some very good players.

Is that a call for McGhee out and Brady back in? ;)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:

If Archer had signed that contract we would have been playing at Beeding for the past 5 years FACT forget all the rubbish about refused planning permission for asbestos and transport etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here