Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Managers since 1987

Here are the last 11 managers/caretakers we have had (I hope I have them in order).

I would like to know where NSC ranks these guys against each other.

Magoo
Coppell
Hinsh
Taylor
Booker
Adams
Wood
Horton
Gritt
Case
Brady
Lloyd

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
1) Coppell: He took over a team hopelessly adrift, and nearly kept them up. He then proceeded to waltz through the opening third of the following season leaving us top of the table with game in hand.

2)Adams: For beginning the revolution, giving us pride back in our team and allowing us to have a debate about how BAD it would be to be RELEGATED to the third tier.(remember when promtion to the third tier was a distant dream? )

3: McGhee: Two succesful season against one that is going increasingly pear-shaped.

4: Gritt: For the first 6months. How he managed to revive a team which was not so much dying as decomposing is beyond me. I'll not mention the first 6months of the following season.

5: Taylor: A very succesful stewardship steering us to our second succesive promotion and league title.

6: Lloyd: Two relegations, one promotion and one game away from the premier league. f***ing Tommy Johnson.

7: Brady: Had to work for two years under those C.UNTS Archer, Stanley and Bellotti. Did o.k. considering.

8: Horton: At least we weren't total wank under him.

9:Booker: He won a couple, right?

10: Case: Er...

11: Hinsh: O.K he was a shit manager but at least his son(nephew?) is a decent player. And some sterling work in his new role.

12: Wood: Oh dear.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well Cloughie,was in charge when i first saw The Albion,but for me it has to be Stevie Gritt,Stevie Gritt,Stevie Stevie Gritt,he,s got no hair and he dont care Stevie Stevie Gritt.:bowdown: :drink: :clap2: If we had gone down,it would have been goodbye Brighton.:albion:

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Gritt
Adams
Cop-out
Brady
Lloyd
Horton
Taylor
Mcgoo
Case
Booker
Hinsh
Wood

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
garry nelsons left foot said:
1) Coppell: He took over a team hopelessly adrift, and nearly kept them up. He then proceeded to waltz through the opening third of the following season leaving us top of the table with game in hand.

2)Adams: For beginning the revolution, giving us pride back in our team and allowing us to have a debate about how BAD it would be to be RELEGATED to the third tier.(remember when promtion to the third tier was a distant dream? )

3: McGhee: Two succesful season against one that is going increasingly pear-shaped.

4: Gritt: For the first 6months. How he managed to revive a team which was not so much dying as decomposing is beyond me. I'll not mention the first 6months of the following season.

5: Taylor: A very succesful stewardship steering us to our second succesive promotion and league title.

6: Lloyd: Two relegations, one promotion and one game away from the premier league. f***ing Tommy Johnson.

7: Brady: Had to work for two years under those C.UNTS Archer, Stanley and Bellotti. Did o.k. considering.

8: Horton: At least we weren't total wank under him.

9:Booker: He won a couple, right?

10: Case: Er...

11: Hinsh: O.K he was a shit manager but at least his son(nephew?) is a decent player. And some sterling work in his new role.

12: Wood: Oh dear.

amen to all of that apart from barry LLoyd...he was rubbish

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
1. Adams - put together a squad that got the club all the way from a poor league 2 side to the championship.

2. Gritt - turned our season around whilst working in the most difficult of times. Without him our club would have been relegated to the conference.

3. Coppell - could have been the best, but left too soon to really know. Got the team playing the best football out of all the managers.

4. Brady - good manager, ruined by bad directors. When he left we really went downhill fast.

5. Mcghee - down well at keeping the club up in the championship with no resources.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The different managers were is different situations and I have few gripes about Adams, Taylor, Coppell and McGhee. I do feel however that Steve Gritt got a very raw deal and should have been given a bit more chance.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Adams - started the revival
Lloyd- rebuilt a crap side & nearly took it to the top
Gritt - mainly responsible for there still being a club to support
Coppell -nearly saved us , but still a palace wanker
Taylor- delivered a title, but still a disloyal palace wanker
McGhee- 2 out of 3 aint bad
Horton- steadied the ship
Brady - biggest acheivement was staying here
Case- probably the cheapest option
Booker- at least he won a game or two
Hinshelwood- like playing a right winger at left back
Wood - or was it deadwood?

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Out of those. McGhee is IMO the best manager and has achieved greater things with us, than any of the others.

1 Macghee - simply because he has got us to the highest level possible
2 Adams - got lucky with a transfer (Zamora) but won a pot
3 Gritt - MIRACULOUS! but couldn't cut it at Kent
3 Horton - had us dreaming of a promotion whilst at Pissfield
4 Lloyd - was one game away from two promotions - cleared up the mess left by Mullery
5 Coppell - almost producecd a miracle but then messed up the reputation by the way he left but still keen on the club
6 Taylor - if ait aint broke don't fix it - didn't mess with a winning team.
7 Brady - massivley disappointing - big name - big reputation no delivery
8 Case - only not bottom because he ahd to work wirh Belotti under the worst circumsances I have experienced for a manger
9 Wood - his teams were pony
10 Booker - difficult to ignore 4 defeats in a row
10 Hinsh - difficult to ignore 12 defeats in a row

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Storer68 said:
1 Macghee - simply because he has got us to the highest level possible
2 Adams - got lucky with a transfer (Zamora) but won a pot
3 Gritt - MIRACULOUS! but couldn't cut it at Kent

1 - no he f***ing hasn't, he rode on someone elses work/back to scrape us into the championship, kept us up with a lot of luck, now he's been found out and we're going down.

2 bollocks, he built a good squad that won and played entertaining football, pretty consistently

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I think Barry Lloyd was unlucky. He put together a fantastic team that got us to the brink of the premiership. I always wonder what would have happened if we had beaten Notts County that day?

The signings of Byrne, Small, Nelson, Gotsmanov, Iovan, etc showed he was capable of finding top class players for next to nothing. But some of his non league gambles proved to be a bit poor. Anyone remember the Cooper the left winger?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here