Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion losing patience with Vicente - AN

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Wouldn't mind extending his contract but not for more money, was my point.

Looking at the signings yesterday Gus is looking beyond him. If he plays great, if not no big deal.

That's how it looks to me.

Yeah, fair enough, extending on similar terms was where I thought we'd be going, as players rarely get improved terms once they hit 30, certainly with a poor injury record.

Could be looking beyond him or could just be ensuring we can play with or without him, by having enough flair in teh squad whether he's available or not.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He wants to go home, he didn't even want to come back, so it's kind of unsurprising he's got these "injuries". Can't see it improving as we head into our lovely Winter

Have you spoken to him personally? He came back just one week later than the rest following the birth of his second child. The club gave the reason as personal which could happen to any new parent but as usual people are putting 2+2 together to make 5. His injury record is well known and not any different to last season.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
He wants to go home, he didn't even want to come back, so it's kind of unsurprising he's got these "injuries". Can't see it improving as we head into our lovely Winter

Tragically i'm inclined to agree. Obviously we are not party to the full extent of the problems but i struggle to understand what actually happened during the close season to address the fitness issues. I appreciate that match fitness is a unique aspect but its so frustrating whan no sooner than the season starts we are once again all holding our breath as to whether he will make the squad.Were it not for the fleeting glimpses of class it could be argued that he is up there with 'legendary' sicknotes such as Kitson.

Ultimately, he's about as robust as a chocolate tea pot and i fear we will end up in the future looking back with rose tinted specs on what might have been.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Have you spoken to him personally? He came back just one week later than the rest following the birth of his second child. The club gave the reason as personal which could happen to any new parent but as usual people are putting 2+2 together to make 5. His injury record is well known and not any different to last season.

No I haven't. It was more than a week later and the view is based on everything that led up to it. Of course it's supposition in the same way as any view is, just because the club put out a statement doesn't mean it's entriely accurate, in fact they couldn't really say anything else. TBH, I sincerely hope I'm wrong

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No I haven't. It was more than a week later and the view is based on everything that led up to it. Of course it's supposition in the same way as any view is, just because the club put out a statement doesn't mean it's entriely accurate, in fact they couldn't really say anything else. TBH, I sincerely hope I'm wrong

It was exactly one week later.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Yeah, fair enough, extending on similar terms was where I thought we'd be going, as players rarely get improved terms once they hit 30, certainly with a poor injury record.

Could be looking beyond him or could just be ensuring we can play with or without him, by having enough flair in teh squad whether he's available or not.

One of the stumbling blocks that (allegedly) during the Elche saga was he wanted a new 2 year deal which included a pay rise.

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
I think Naylor is just saying that it's due to Vicente's longer recovery time compared to other players. A fully fit Vicente should be starting so the new signings provide competition and back up. Not going to be a 'saga' like last year. Simples :)

EDIT: Also, just asked him on twitter what he meant by it and he replied: "Generally, with ongoing injury niggles, this time after a pre season". Didn't answer my question at all really! And plus, he returned to training on tuesday..

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sue where the news is here.

Vicente is a luxury player who is not going to be fit for even half of a season, that's why he's playing at Brighton and not Liverpool. ...

It is what it is, he's a superbly talented player who has dropped to us, BECAUSE of his inability to play enough for bigger clubs to want him.

this. so why would lose patience?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
With the new players there will be less pressure on him to perform and more pressure on him to malinger. I won't be surprised if Gus lets him go home to release some money for the wages of a loanee forward.

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I've just got this feeling we might not see Vicente in the stripes again.
I just think he never really wanted to come back but was forced because the club exercised the extension to his contract, pretty much forcing him to come back

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
If he ends up being our 'luxury player' I'd be happy with that. Even if he only plays half our games this season, I'd still rather we kept him. Still a treat to watch when he does play.

And I think this is the case with the club, they activated the 2nd season clause in his contract so they must be keen to keep him AND would have already been aware of his fitness issues.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Bollox, Let's just give him a break.

He is fantastic but, remember, he is now 31/32 so injuries take a little bit longer to heal.

Just wait until you see him in his full glory again which will be soon and, for what it's worth, he will enjoy performing in the extended Amex along with his new team mates.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I've faith in the guy. No point in guessing that anything is going wrong behind the scenes.

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
Some people saying he'll never play again. Hahahahahahahahah. He's say he's happy here, he played pre season and he returned to training on Tuesday. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT???

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
This is one of those threads that when he plays a blinder will get bounced & some people will be feeling a bit silly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here