Albion knock back Newcastle bid for winger

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can you blame him ? Working with someone who has won the Champions League, double your wages near enough... Adulation by die hard super fans....

Adulation when things are going well, plenty of moaning when they are not ahead after 10 mins

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Newcastle have landed Diame as well . Signing today according to Caulkin
[tweet]760034143623340032[/tweet]

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
A couple of thoughts:
1. Is it true that Knockaert left Leicester and went to Liege to be closer to his ill dad? If so he is obviously not someone who will have his head turned by money.
2. At the moment Newcastle are kind of reminding me of Palace in their first season back up - blind panic leads to attempts to buy anyone and everyone. Clearly Newcastle have absolutely no faith in their current crop of players and let's be honest was Benitez a great success with them last year (OK a hard job, but he didn't win often)? Yes I expect them to go up but don't be surprised if they end up in mid table mediocrity.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Still not enough.......

If we do sell him we will have resigned ourselves to a play off spot at best.

Agreed completely.... a player of his quality and experience would cost 15 million minimum... and then we would need to pay virtual Prem size salary on top.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Stumpy Tim

At the moment Newcastle are kind of reminding me of Palace in their first season back up - blind panic leads to attempts to buy anyone and everyone. Clearly Newcastle have absolutely no faith in their current crop of players and let's be honest was Benitez a great success with them last year (OK a hard job, but he didn't win often)? Yes I expect them to go up but don't be surprised if they end up in mid table mediocrity.

Agree with this. They'll probably do well, but they'll be either a new group of players or a load of players who think they're too good for this division. Spending the money they're spending also adds pressure that they won't be used to. In the Premier League every team has spent a lot. In the Championship their spending stands out and that can lead to funny things.

On top of that, their manager has never managed in this league before, and I think he's going to be surprised at the quality and intensity.

If they're not flying high by the end of August the crowd will turn on them and it could be a long season for them.

Touch wood anyway

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
A couple of thoughts:
1. Is it true that Knockaert left Leicester and went to Liege to be closer to his ill dad? If so he is obviously not someone who will have his head turned by money.
2. At the moment Newcastle are kind of reminding me of Palace in their first season back up - blind panic leads to attempts to buy anyone and everyone. Clearly Newcastle have absolutely no faith in their current crop of players and let's be honest was Benitez a great success with them last year (OK a hard job, but he didn't win often)? Yes I expect them to go up but don't be surprised if they end up in mid table mediocrity.

I was having this exact argument with one of their fans on Twitter yesterday. A number of them seem to think that they'll walk the league and that they'll get any player they set their sights on. Best manager, best stadium, best fans blah blah blah. I said to him that, from experience, there's likely to be about eight teams with a realistic chance of going up and whilst BHAFC and NUFC are in that list, neither of us are guaranteed a damn thing.

He made a point about the money they have. Also irrelevant. Fulham had a bunch of money when they came down and they've done the grand total of f**k all.

I actually think they'll go up with relative ease but I am finding the arrogance of their fans galling enough that I'd quite like to see them fail spectacularly.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Amazing what a woman will dye these days isn't it?

I know , you think that's odd , did you know greyhounds did this ?

66c52c1bc46e0ba8d15e40dac25436b6.jpg

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Considering the fact they signed Ritchie in that position am hoping they will back off knowing their paltry 6m wasn't enough. Also thought this could be used as a smokescreen by Brighton and helps with the blow of maybe losing another player such as Stephens. The fans might think we lost Stephens but at least we kept Knockeart. Just a thought. Am not saying this is how it is and hope not.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Spending the money they're spending also adds pressure that they won't be used to. In the Premier League every team has spent a lot.

What additional pressure? i could have sworn they were in the premier league last season which, by your own admission, means they would have spent a lot.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Yes, but so did everyone else in the Premier league. Pressure on them to win the league now - something they're not used to.

So it's not spending the money they're spending that adds pressure that they're not used to, it's actually pressure to win the league that they're not used to? :)

That makes far more sense.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The pressure to win the league, based on the money they've spent!

Do you think the players care about that though? I don't. Especially with the safety blanket of parachute payments. For what it is worth I think Newcastle will walk this league again, 100+ points

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes I do. But more importantly their fans do - and a slightly dodgy start will see their fans turn on them.

I personally think you are clutching at straws here. I'd say there is as much pressure on us, so close last season, seemingly managing to keep the squad together but with Kayal and Stephens not signing contracts, turning down big offers etc. We need to be challenging for automatics by christmas

Stumpy Tim

I personally think you are clutching at straws here. I'd say there is as much pressure on us, so close last season, seemingly managing to keep the squad together but with Kayal and Stephens not signing contracts, turning down big offers etc. We need to be challenging for automatics by christmas

As I said in my first post, "They'll probably do well, but..." I wasn't talking about us - I was talking about Newcastle.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Newcastle triggered the release clause in Mo Diame's Hull contract and in talks with the player now, apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports