Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion home shirts

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
The stuff that Nike churn out and foist on clubs that aren't their big gun sides like Barca is pretty poor to be honest. This years goalkeeper jersey looks like the one Van der Sar was wearing for Man United five years ago. We don't get bespoke stuff, just whatever's kicking around so it seems.

I also follow London Scottish Rugby and every year, Canterbury produce a new bespoke strip for the club. And the supporter versions are quality, with all the logos fully sublimated so no stick on panels or itchy stitching on the chest.

So if a company can produce that for a Rugby club that gets 1-2,000 supporters at most home games, why can't a club that gets home gates of 25,000 plus screw a better deal out of Nike? Not like they're the only company on the market.........unless it's all just about margins:whistle:

The wife tells me I'm now "far to old" to wear polyester t shirts.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I wonder if they've been a good seller, when I look around at the Amex there seems to be a lot of Errea shirts still being worn, and we're well into the third season of Nike. The away shirts are fine, albeit straight out of the catalogue, the home shirts just don't look good, has that affected people's buying habits? As a collector I have them, though as a kit sponsor I've acquired them from the player I sponsor rather than buying them in the club shop. For some people it's not important, however, getting Nike was important to the club, I guess the ancillary stuff that came with the deal made it worth their while, I doubt many people will be sad to see them go, whenever that will be.

Last edited:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
This is the first home shirt of the albions that I haven't purchased since the Skint era. The iron on amex logo is dreadful, and I will continue to not buy the home shirt if it continues to come with one.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Obviously stripes cost money, so we must be too cheapskate to pay for stripes front and back.

Either that, or someone's done a real shite deal with Nike, allowing them to foist us off with shite shirts. As we have a mutual interest in blue and white stripes, perhaps we should do a deal with Tesco's for the next shirts - I'm sure they'd do a far better job!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Nike's kits will continue to be utter dross as long as they insist on giving us an iron on panel. Let's be honest for a second, there's only so much you can do, innovation wise, with a striped kit but that panel would make any kit look crap.

The only thing we can hope for is that in the future Nike do a stripe template that includes a sponsor panel. They do it in other markets, but maybe the cost outweighs the profitability for them in Europe to do it.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Its not just us or UK, Malaga FC who have a similar blue and white striped kit to us are also up in arms with their kit from Nike with the blank white back - they much prefer their away kit of plain mauve

Have a look at RCD Espanyol's shirts though - was there last week and thought they look great. Team are rubbish though.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Question.
Who designs the shirts? Is the deal that Nike supply 'a' shirt within certain criterea, ie it must have blue & white stripes. So they come up with a shirt suitable for 100 clubs around the world. Then just iron on the sponsor and club crest.
Can we not go for a company that makes shirts to our design and needs. Cant be too difficult to set up a factory in Brighton making shirts!
Costs would be offset by employing a dozen or so local people and let's face it, at over £40 shirt you must be looking at £10 each to make. Very do-able.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Question.
Who designs the shirts? Is the deal that Nike supply 'a' shirt within certain criterea, ie it must have blue & white stripes. So they come up with a shirt suitable for 100 clubs around the world. Then just iron on the sponsor and club crest.
Can we not go for a company that makes shirts to our design and needs. Cant be too difficult to set up a factory in Brighton making shirts!
Costs would be offset by employing a dozen or so local people and let's face it, at over £40 shirt you must be looking at £10 each to make. Very do-able.

If it is that easy then you could be onto a winner if you set one up?

I suspect that the reason we are with Nike is financial and the reason we have an off the shelf style rather than very bespoke is that the margins are better.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Worst one we've had in over 20 year IMHO.

My favourite was the first Amex kit with the collar and a touch of gold.

Edit: I should add I meant Amex stadium era kit, although it was a Brighton & Hove jobs one. Would love this kit again with AMEX as sponsors.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I liked the 1st American express one with the yellow / gold on & don't mind the new one.

Could be worse. We could have where's Wally socks - like barnsley

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I liked the 1st American express one with the yellow / gold on & don't mind the new one.

Could be worse. We could have where's Wally socks - like barnsley

Whereas I bloody loved Barnsley's socks. Brilliantly old-school.

I much prefer this season's home kit to the previous incarnation, though that doesn't mean I like (a) the stick-on patch or the plain back. Newcastle have striped backs on their (Puma) shirts, I notice, so it's clearly not a TV rules thing. I know numbers are hard to read from a distance on stripes, which makes Newcastle's even more of a big decision, given how high up many of their fans sit.

Given the choice, I wouldn't pick Nike to do the kits, and have said that all along. adidas are reasonable, though you'd get an identical shirt template to somebody like Brentford. I've rarely seen a Kappa shirt I didn't like, though I also appreciate that the fuller figured amongst the support may disagree with me :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I wonder if they've been a good seller, when I look around at the Amex there seems to be a lot of Errea shirts still being worn, and we're well into the third season of Nike. The away shirts are fine, albeit straight out of the catalogue, the home shirts just don't look good, has that affected people's buying habits? As a collector I have them, though as a kit sponsor I've acquired them from the player I sponsor rather than buying them in the club shop. For some people it's not important, however, getting Nike was important to the club, I guess the ancillary stuff that came with the deal made it worth their while, I doubt many people will be sad to see them go, whenever that will be.

I'll never buy a shirt with a sponsor panel on it. Never. It looks tacky, cheap and rubbish. The away ones are the winners and for this season I'm wearing the 08/09 CLASSIC with Murray 17 plastered over the back of it. Happily, it's the last time we had an all white back so from behind, other than the font now being different, it's the same as the current shirt.

Errea gave us lovely kits, and also the Albion branded long sleeve compression shirt as well. I have 4 of those, they're crucial for winter running and general warmth seeking. Nike haven't done anything similar, despite being massively into running, they and the club haven't really tapped into that market.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It would be nice to go back to being 'the stripes' again instead of 'the half-stripes'. I hate the solid backs, regardless of color, although I think the white one is marginally less offensive than the blue one.

(Although my favourite Albion kit was the blue 'Arsenal-style' kit the team wore when I first started watching them in 1966)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Whereas I bloody loved Barnsley's socks. Brilliantly old-school.

I much prefer this season's home kit to the previous incarnation, though that doesn't mean I like (a) the stick-on patch or the plain back. Newcastle have striped backs on their (Puma) shirts, I notice, so it's clearly not a TV rules thing. I know numbers are hard to read from a distance on stripes, which makes Newcastle's even more of a big decision, given how high up many of their fans sit.

Given the choice, I wouldn't pick Nike to do the kits, and have said that all along. adidas are reasonable, though you'd get an identical shirt template to somebody like Brentford. I've rarely seen a Kappa shirt I didn't like, though I also appreciate that the fuller figured amongst the support may disagree with me :)

I know what you mean about Kappa and the fuller figure ...

article-2175229-05FF428C0000044D-608_233x363.jpg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Question.

You're right about a Brighton company. How about Ben Sherman? OK, maybe not based in Brighton now but, they have the heritage. Nice button down collar anyone?

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I'll never buy a shirt with a sponsor panel on it. Never. It looks tacky, cheap and rubbish. The away ones are the winners and for this season I'm wearing the 08/09 CLASSIC with Murray 17 plastered over the back of it. Happily, it's the last time we had an all white back so from behind, other than the font now being different, it's the same as the current shirt.

Errea gave us lovely kits, and also the Albion branded long sleeve compression shirt as well. I have 4 of those, they're crucial for winter running and general warmth seeking. Nike haven't done anything similar, despite being massively into running, they and the club haven't really tapped into that market.

This with bells on. Best purchase I've made from the club shop. Really nice touch with the seagull across the shoulder blades and the club badge on the chest. I've used mine for years now training in the Nordic winters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here