Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion fail in bid to re-sign Cullip

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
Seagulls fail to lure Cullip back
by Andy Naylor

Albion manager Mark McGhee today revealed an audacious attempt to bring former captain Danny Cullip back to the club on loan from Sheffield United.

McGhee contacted Blades boss Neil Warnock yesterday about the availability of the out-of-favour centre half.

"We asked but they said no, so it's dead and buried," McGhee said. "The chances are he will leave there but he might leave in a deal."

Cullip has fallen out with Warnock, just three months after joining them from Albion for £250,000.

He has been linked with a part-exchange before tomorrow's transfer deadline involving Watford striker Danny Webber but that has been complicated by the sacking yesterday of Watford manager Ray Lewington.

Former Albion manager Micky Adams, now in charge at Coventry, says he cannot afford to capture Cullip for the fourth time. Adams signed the 28-year-old for Fulham, Brentford and the Seagulls.

The Sky Blues, who provide Albion's next opponents at Highfield Road on April 2, have however signed West Brom winger Lloyd Dyer on loan. Nottingham Forest were also trying to sign the 22-year-old.

Albion play Le Havre in a friendly behind closed doors today as part of a partnership project. The Seagulls visit the French Second Division strugglers for a pre-season friendly on July 9.

The project is being co-ordinated by former striker John Byrne, who played for both clubs.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Referee! said:
What's he done to upset Warnock?

Apparently he had a fight on the training ground with Mr Warnock. Seems that Blades fans rate him (and so they should) and they don't want him to leave.

Alby

Jan 4, 2005
West Sussex
To make it worse if he is off loaded we lose out on the potential payments due for play offs and promotion!:angry:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Caveman said:

Hopefully coming to Reading

Caveman said:

Hopefully coming to Reading

Caveman said:
Coppell
Brooker
Sidwell

Already here at Reading!

All in the same division.... at the moment. I think that is more indicative of your success in bouncing back from Div 2 last year than actually the players moving sidewards. The ability of BHA to grasp victory from a painfully restricted situation is second to none and I don't think it is really a problem for players to move on and the club to still succeed.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Caveman said:
Seems anyone who leaves the Albion doesn't really go on to better things.

Zamora
Cullip
Coppell
Brooker
Sidwell

All in the same division.

And all undoubtably on a lot more money than they could get here and playing in proper stadia rather than a shity athletics track. Sounds better to me.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Good point.

Changing the subject.... I was disappointed with the game on Monday, I thought we both played terribly poor football, I think it was a case of two teams desperate for a win. Obviously you got the three points, but I think you will need to improve to keep in the play-offs and like wise us to stay up.

If the Cullip bust up is true (which it seems to be) that can only be a good thing for Reading as that will unsettle Sheffield Utd.

P.S. I still hate Coppell! ;)

Last edited:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Caveman said:
Good point.

Changing the subject.... I was disappointed with the game on Monday, I thought we both played terribly poor football, I think it was a case of two teams desperate for a win. Obviously you got the three points, but I think you will need to improve to keep in the play-offs and like wise us to stay up.

If the Cullip bust up is true (which it seems to be) that can only be a good thing for Reading as that will unsettle Sheffield Utd.

P.S. I still hate Coppell! ;)

We are awful still albeit played a bit better (would you believe it!) on Monday than in recent months.

I'd really hope that we at least put in an interest in Cullip given that Keown is off at the end of the season and Coppell only wants long-term signings, likes his ex-players, and we are lacking a natural leader at the back. Murty's form has very much dipped since taking over the captaincy IMO. Cullip wouldn't be a short-term fix, he'd be long term, he's a local boy (probably not a Reading fan though!), and he's available.

He's ideal for us and I'd be gutted if we didn't go in for him.

P.S. I still hate Pardew too ;)

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Will Warnock let Cullip go to play-off rival? My guess is Danny is either of to a team at our end of the table or will sit it out in the stiffs til summer.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Will Warnock let Cullip go to play-off rival? My guess is Danny is either of to a team at our end of the table or will sit it out in the stiffs til summer.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Sit out till end of the summer, Sheffied Utd get promoted, we get the extra dosh, Cullip then leaves for Reading.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Alby said:
To make it worse if he is off loaded we lose out on the potential payments due for play offs and promotion!:angry:

Surely the contract applies whether or not Cullip is there. OK football contracts are not worth the paper they are written on in general, but we must be protected to some extent

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
it would have been sureal if he had pulled it off.

harding would have to get a new set of ear plugs and shaaban wouldnt dare make a mistake :lolol:

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
Wilts said:
I think that is more indicative of your success in bouncing back from Div 2 last year than actually the players moving sidewards. The ability of BHA to grasp victory from a painfully restricted situation is second to none and I don't think it is really a problem for players to move on and the club to still succeed.

:clap2: :drink:

Didn't no Cullip had fallen out with Warnock though! ???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Caveman said:
:ohmy:

Seems anyone who leaves the Albion doesn't really go on to better things.

Zamora
Cullip
Adams
Taylor
Coppell
Brooker
Sidwell
Barrett

The list goes on.

All in the same division.

Agree with most of them, but I think even the most blinkered of Albion fans would argue that Sidwell, of the people on that list, has gone on to better things.

Granted, Reading aren't really going anywhere, but the general football fans consensus is that he's a pretty decent player, and he was voted the best player outside the Premiership by 442 magazine recently.

And Peter Taylor seems to be doing alright for himself...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here