Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion agree contract for Irish midfielder Towell

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Towell looks like another very smart signing. Further proof, should any be needed, that Burke and his crappy fantasy football database have been well and truly consigned to the dustbin of history.

2016 could well be a very special year for the club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
He failed in Scotland because he was played as a defender!
And he was offered a contract by Hibs when he was released by Celtic but chose to return to Ireland.

Don't think anyone is getting overexcited but worth a go on a free & if the recruitment team and Hughton think he's good enough, he's good enough for me.
There is only upside on this deal - if Towell makes the step up then Hughton has got a good player for pretty much nothing - if he doesn't then there is little lost. As I said on the other thread - I think Towell has the maturity, mentality and temperament to improve. I think he will and I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
The Sussex flags with the Martlets will make Richie feel at home. Dundalk have 3 Martlets on their club crest.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I really hope we get a nice draw in the cup like a league 1 side at home or even a seemingly boring tie against another championship club at home and the likes of Towell can get a start...

sabre

Nov 30, 2015
I like what I hear about this guy. Looks after himself as an athlete should and has great confidence in his own ability.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ie/news/3920/features/2015/11/27/17761962/scouting-report-richie-towell

Dundalk Fan here to wish Richie Richie Towell good luck !
You have a real star.

Incredibly driven, takes responsibility, athletic and talented.
Works hard defensively, makes incredible third man runs (hence the goals), can finish (hence the goals!) and has a good range of passing.

He was amongst the League of Ireland's best players in 2014....and put his head down to improve further and in 2015 was awesome.

Over the last few years Dundalk has played League 1 clubs and Towell has stood out as the best player on the pitch

It might take him a few weeks to get to the pace and level of the Championship but he will make it

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You have a real star.

Works hard defensively, makes incredible third man runs (hence the goals), can finish (hence the goals!) and has a good range of passing.

He was amongst the League of Ireland's best players in 2014....and put his head down to improve further and in 2015 was awesome.

Over the last few years Dundalk has played League 1 clubs and Towell has stood out as the best player on the pitch

It might take him a few weeks to get to the pace and level of the Championship but he will make it

Good to hear, thanks.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You have a real star.

Cheers for that. Good to hear. In addition to the goals from midfield I liked this:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Very pleased with this signing, we need a midfielder to compete strongly with Kayal and Stephens, but I guess it will mean goodbye to Crofts in the summer.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Hughton often plays 3 in midfield , not often from the start but tactically.
So we switch from a 4-4-2 to a Stephens, Kayal and Ince. (A 4-3-2-1) . We did on Saturday.

And Hughton sometimes picks 2 on the bench.
So its 7 into 4 or 5 (in squad) or 2 or 3 (on pitch).

Given 1-2-3 of them will have injuries, suspensions then would you still sell ?

I would look to offload Danny Holla, but with 18 months (?) left on his no doubt substantial contract, it will be difficult to get rid.
Maybe controversial, but I would also let Andrew Crofts go in January. Ince and JFC can still develop into good midfielders due to their age. Crofts has had a number of serious knee injuries and is 30+.
5 centre midfielders is enough. We have only played 4-5-1 from the start in 1 league game I think.
It all depends on budget ultimately... If players are happy to be back up and the club are satisfied with the current level of spending on wages, then they may wish to keep them all.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
You have a real star.

Thanks for the info, sorry to be stealing your best player on a free, I'm excited to see how he gets on, sounds like hes great in the dressing room too and a bit of a cocky attitude may be just what you need to have the confidence to lash in 29 goals in a season, now how about you give us Horgan too ;)

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I would look to offload Danny Holla, but with 18 months (?) left on his no doubt substantial contract, it will be difficult to get rid.
Maybe controversial, but I would also let Andrew Crofts go in January. Ince and JFC can still develop into good midfielders due to their age. Crofts has had a number of serious knee injuries and is 30+.
5 centre midfielders is enough. We have only played 4-5-1 from the start in 1 league game I think.
It all depends on budget ultimately... If players are happy to be back up and the club are satisfied with the current level of spending on wages, then they may wish to keep them all.

I agree with all of this

sabre

Nov 30, 2015
Thanks for the info, sorry to be stealing your best player on a free, I'm excited to see how he gets on, sounds like hes great in the dressing room too and a bit of a cocky attitude may be just what you need to have the confidence to lash in 29 goals in a season, now how about you give us Horgan too ;)

Horgan is pure class but in talks with a League 1 club

anyway - a few vids of Richie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qaPR-8WlTo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzmQpGiyGN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ildtsIwJmcU

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here