Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion accounts 2021/22

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
In terms of CHARTS, this may be of some/no/much interest.

The club is probably now sustainable IF Tony Bloom continues to use the analytical approach based on the StarLizard data.
If he goes*, then the algorithm goes with him I suspect and the club would then have to compete with other clubs of a similar size, which would be difficult.

The Albion punch above their weight by being smarter, and that’s due to TB and PB.

*He won’t
intrigued by just how much better the data from starlizard is over what every other club can get. Granted there is a certain element we take risks that other clubs who demand instant results can’t, but surely other clubs and their analytic departments can do the same

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Ron Pavey will be spinning in his grave 😂

But in all seriousness, whilst there’s a touch of marmite about all of us, PB is very very good at what he does, he’s no doubt the envy of many of the EPL clubs who would pay far more for his services. (Chelsea are currently paying the 2nd best ever Albion manager £12 million a year)

Like the League form, cup run etc, let’s enjoy it while we can, unfortunately those old enough can remember the fallow times after Wembley 83.
Would you rate Potter above Mullery? I'm not at all sure about that. I'm assuming you rate de Zerbi at the top.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wonder what Leicester are doing to have

intrigued by just how much better the data from starlizard is over what every other club can get. Granted there is a certain element we take risks that other clubs who demand instant results can’t, but surely other clubs and their analytic departments can do the same
Isn’t the key that the raw data is available to all. All clubs have a team of analysts.

But TB, honed through his successful gambling business for syndicates, has a unique and confidential way of using that data in recruiting key personal and players. Giving an overall edge.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Isn’t the key that the raw data is available to all. All clubs have a team of analysts.

But TB, honed through his successful gambling business for syndicates, has a unique and confidential way of using that data in recruiting key personal and players. Giving an overall edge.
Yes, I think you’re right. Although Newcastle fans remain convinced that our success is all down to Dan Ashworth and the 2.5 seasons he spent at the club.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I think there’s a Your Mum gag here but being a gentleman I won’t say it x
D08B7F06-7CC3-4390-AABE-9E52E5EB19E1.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, I think you’re right. Although Newcastle fans remain convinced that our success is all down to Dan Ashworth and the 2.5 seasons he spent at the club.
I only cottoned on to the secure analytics, when TB came across as incredibly relaxed as Ashworth, then Potter, then Winstanley walked. I assume that TB gave them access to potential player lists, but with no indication on how they were compiled and ranked.

I picture Ashworth and Winstanley burning the midnight candles puzzling how the fck TB works it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A quick question, if I may.

Note 9 - Unwinding of discount on transfer fees receivable - £3.2m

Can you explain what this relates to, please?
At a balance sheet, certain assets and liabilities are discounted to their present value, to reflect the time cost of money or general inflation. For example.
£10m receivable in a year’s time is worth less than £10m now, and so on. A theoretical accounting standard.

So the £10m due now might be accounted for as £8.5m in today’s money.

When in reality £10m is banked in a year’s time, the discount of £1.5m is unwound.

This is not physical discounts given to/from other clubs.

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
From what I gather.. Brighton need to make £44 million profit in player sales to make even.. however this could change on how well we perform and the gaining of more fans worldwide. Seems our fanbase is increasing rapidly!
Our owner/fan Tony Bloom is a genuis!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I only cottoned on to the secure analytics, when TB came across as incredibly relaxed as Ashworth, then Potter, then Winstanley walked. I assume that TB gave them access to potential player lists, but with no indication on how they were compiled and ranked.

I picture Ashworth and Winstanley burning the midnight candles puzzling how the fck TB works it.
They have no hope . Tony is a mathematical genius - they aren’t .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

The key algorithms, analysis, etc will all be proprietary and hugely secure. From what I understand, Star Lizard's core business is providing information for millionaires (the minimum requirement to pass this on) to bet on football (and perhaps sporting?) matches that other gamblers don't have access to.
The depth and level of analysis required to do this will be astounding, and it's this that has helped Bloom identify top emerging talent and is behind our current success.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Would you rate Potter above Mullery? I'm not at all sure about that. I'm assuming you rate de Zerbi at the top.
Never really liked Potter and was extremely fortunate not to get found out during his tenure, three times former Albion managers had been sacked for less, but it is what it is.

By the very nature of the fact of the final league position he achieved reluctantly he takes the overall Silver medal behind RDZ, on a personal note as both personalities and 'football' people, in my 50 years watching the club, I'd actually put Mullery, Cattlin, Lloyd, Adams, Taylor Mk 2, Coppell, McGhee, Poyet and Hughton above him. ;)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Really hope Tony can take some of this profit and the likely larger profits next season back for himself. Seems only fair for all he has done.
I agree completely with this, but suspect that it really isn't very high in TB's priorities :thumbsup:

The key algorithms, analysis, etc will all be proprietary and hugely secure. From what I understand, Star Lizard's core business is providing information for millionaires (the minimum requirement to pass this on) to bet on football (and perhaps sporting?) matches that other gamblers don't have access to.
The depth and level of analysis required to do this will be astounding, and it's this that has helped Bloom identify top emerging talent and is behind our current success.

I don't think there is anything secret or unique to what Star Lizard do and plenty of others try to do the same. Where TB does so well is that he employs the best young talent and grows them and the business. Doing what everyone else does, but better.

Sound familiar :wink:

Last edited:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I agree completely with this, but suspect that it really isn't very high in TB's priorities :thumbsup:

I don't think there is anything secret or unique to what Star Lizard do and plenty of others try to do the same. Where TB does so well is that he employs the best young talent and grows them and the business. Doing what everyone else does, but better.

Sound familiar :wink:
There's that and the fact that we actually gamble on these players, give them a chance, treat them well, allow them to flourish and let them go when a good offer comes in.

We've made our position even stronger by increasing the likelihood of our targets wanting to come here. This last two seasons has done wonders for us.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Thank you Very interesting. I maybe one of few that find these a little depressing.. Unbelievable that even with an income of £174m we would have lost £25m ish if we had not sold players and that is with 2nd lowest wage bill. Looks like now need £200m plus to be comfortable but how do you get there.
Whilst a few clubs have 60k crowds it is still small % of there income. So Where does there extra income come from ? Is it huge sponsorship compared to us ?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Thank you Very interesting. I maybe one of few that find these a little depressing.. Unbelievable that even with an income of £174m we would have lost £25m ish if we had not sold players and that is with 2nd lowest wage bill. Looks like now need £200m plus to be comfortable but how do you get there.
Whilst a few clubs have 60k crowds it is still small % of there income. So Where does there extra income come from ? Is it huge sponsorship compared to us ?
In the meantime PL is a gravy train for players and senior staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here