Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AFC Ajax vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Ajax didn’t score against us in two games. How shit must they be?
Deep into November, and they’re the only team who’ve failed to score against us — and they’ve had 200 minutes or so to get one in! Even Luton, Bournemouth and Everton have managed it.

Reactions: A1X

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Not quite (but yes in reality)

Lose v Athens, draw v Marseille and we're third at least - but could actually come top if Ajax beat them both and our draw is 0-0 or 1-1

Win v Athens and we're second at least - Marseille game will depend on what they've done against Ajax

Draw v Athens, third at least, and then win v Marseille will see us top on head-to-head whatever Marseille do against Ajax.

Two draws - we'd be second.

Two defeats and we might, just, finish fourth - but pretty unlikely.

Think that's covered it

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Isn’t a point v Athens enough to qualify?

AEK is wouldn’t be able to catch us. Ajax could only get same points as us with 2 wins (8) then we’d go through on head to head.
Depends what you mean by 'go through'. It would see us at least third - so would drop into the conference play-offs.

We'd be on 8 points. If we then lost to Marseille, AEK could catch us by beating Ajax, and would finish above us on head to head.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Depends what you mean by 'go through'. It would see us at least third - so would drop into the conference play-offs.

We'd be on 8 points. If we then lost to Marseille, AEK could catch us by beating Ajax, and would finish above us on head to head.
Realised I was wrong just after posting but you were too quick to reply. Pints and permutations are not a good combination!

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
??? I'm delighted right now but we were terrible saturday? Our performances this season show that we're massively missing Moises and Alexis and this constant rotation and the injury problems are hurting us badly

I don't care if you have a problem with me commenting that I thought we were bad Saturday
I don’t want to get too sidetracked but we absolutely were not terrible at Everton. It was disappointing not to win, and we richly deserved to. The steward I spoke to afterwards said we were the best team he’d seen at Goodison this season, but I accept he might say that to all away fans!

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023

Lose v Athens, draw v Marseille and we're third at least - but could actually come top if Ajax beat them both and our draw is 0-0 or 1-1

Win v Athens and we're second at least - Marseille game will depend on what they've done against Ajax

Draw v Athens, third at least, and then win v Marseille will see us top on head-to-head whatever Marseille do against Ajax.

Think that's covered it?
True. But as we are in such a great position, why not go for first?
What we need is a draw against AEK Athens and a win against Marseille - certainly achieveable.
Of course, Marseille might help things by losing at home to Ajax, but I can't see that happening.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Win both would remove any uncertainty.
My only worry about Athens is they are very Sean Dyche. Hopefully Albion can get round that.

worthingweird

Mar 8, 2023

Think that's covered it?
We'll win both remaing matches...

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
My only worry about Athens is they are very Sean Dyche. Hopefully Albion can get round that.
A key difference perhaps is that AEK will really feel they have to beat Brighton to have a chance of getting through. I don’t think they’ll play negatively. I think they’ll come at us, and attack, leaving opportunities to hit them on the counter. We should never have lost the Amex game. Perhaps we were naive but the players have learnt a lot about this competition since then, and I’m confident we can beat them. Even a draw will basically mean we’ll be fighting it out against Marseille in the final match — winner takes all.

And let’s not totally write off Ajax just yet. They’ve a good new coach with improving results, tonight notwithstanding. They have another three weeks until the Marseille game that will decide whether they continue in Europe. I think they’ll have a real go in Marseille, and might well do us a favour.

Conclusion? We can be positive and confident. Not complacent, but confident.

SkintSeagull

Sep 7, 2020
I woke up yesterday ticketless and relatively hungover in my Amsterdam hostel room after some Wednesday night arrival pints, only to see a random Latvian man in the opposite bunk pop his head out and ask if I a) liked football and b) wanted his spare ticket for the match. Absolute scenes. In my excitement I lost my wits and soon after accepted his offer of a small cupcake and didn't realise until my head fell off when on the beers on Dam square that it was in fact a space cake. Spent the next 4 hours absolutely off my rocker, but thankfully it settled down by KO and remaining neutral in the home end was made somewhat easier by being so stoned. Ridiculous day, UTA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here