Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AEK Athens

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
AEK v Croats a tad different. Ajax too, always turned up in Europe and have caused trouble. Very unlikely AEK will be out looking for Brighton/English - they’ll be far more interested by the other 2 teams in the group
The fans of Dinamo Zagreb have a strong relationship with Panathinaikos, who are rivals of AEK Athens.

In addition the Croatian side has an ultras group named Bad Blue Boys who are known to cause violence, carrying knives and smoke bombs, as well as supporting the neo-N*zi ideology - for example, members were giving the salute whilst walking through the streets of Milan last year.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I doubt Brighton fans will meet any Croatians at the ground.
I think the bigger risk is that away allocations are limited in response to this, either by the Greek authorities or by UEFA. It's only a risk, but an additional one to the smaller allocation at AEK, and means I've chosen not to gamble on advance flights for this one.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think the bigger risk is that away allocations are limited in response to this, either by the Greek authorities or by UEFA. It's only a risk, but an additional one to the smaller allocation at AEK, and means I've chosen not to gamble on advance flights for this one.
Yes will be interesting. I notice aek only fill 80% of the ground every game so on that basis you would think we might get more tickets, ya never know.

AEK stadium looks mighty impressive.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

I wonder if there's a thread on the AEK forum moaning about the smell of vapes :lolol:

That video does make this sort of thing a bit ridiculous:

Two Scottish supporters of Hearts soccer club were sentenced on Monday to an eight-month jail term. The two Hearts supporters were arrested by Greek police after trying to enter the Toumba stadium in Thessaloniki with flares, where Hearts played against PAOK to qualify for the UEFA Europa League.

The three-member Thessaloniki Court of Misdemeanors found the two young men guilty of a breach of the sports law and decided on a three-year probation and a two-year ban from attending any sports game in Greek territory.

The two young men, aged 20 and 22, were tried in absentia. Their trial was scheduled for last Friday but was postponed due to the absence of a translator.

(Presumably they struggled to find anyone who could understand the defendants)

Greeko

May 17, 2007
Eastbourne
Anyone struggling for flights to Athens I got a flight from Gatwick to Milan on Wed 29th November staying the night in Milan. Early flight from Milan to Athens on the Thursday staying Thursday in Athens. Athens to Milan Friday afternoon and then 2 hour wait in Milan for Gatwick flight.
Total cost for all flights and accommodation was less than £200

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Anyone struggling for flights to Athens I got a flight from Gatwick to Milan on Wed 29th November staying the night in Milan. Early flight from Milan to Athens on the Thursday staying Thursday in Athens. Athens to Milan Friday afternoon and then 2 hour wait in Milan for Gatwick flight.
Total cost for all flights and accommodation was less than £200
Less than 200 smackeroonies? where are you staying in Athens, a sleeping bag in a shop doorway?

That's crazily cheap.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
I have a spare flight to Athens if anyone is interested. Easyjet from Gatwick on Wednesday at 8am, Returning on the Sunday evening 9pm so you'd miss Chelsea away unless it's Monday evening. £212 + the £55 name change that would be needed. Pop me a DM if anyone is interested

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have a spare flight to Athens if anyone is interested. Easyjet from Gatwick on Wednesday at 8am, Returning on the Sunday evening 9pm so you'd miss Chelsea away unless it's Monday evening. £212 + the £55 name change that would be needed. Pop me a DM if anyone is interested

Why’s it spare out of interest ? What changed in 3 days

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Bouncing this as home tickets are out.
From a purely football perspective, what do we think? What level are they at? What do they think of us?
Any forums/chat we can monitor??

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bouncing this as home tickets are out.
From a purely football perspective, what do we think? What level are they at? What do they think of us?
Any forums/chat we can monitor??
They're dross. Maybe high championship standard ? Should beat them comfortably at home.

Plus they have to play Olympiacos this weekend.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They're dross. Maybe high championship standard ? Should beat them comfortably at home.

Plus they have to play Olympiacos this weekend.
And once we’ve finished with them, they play Panathinaikos Athens on the Sunday. We’re in between them playing the top two in the Super League 1. Those two matches could make or break their domestic season. I wonder how up for it they will be?

Edit: They are a possession based team. They might find it hard to adopt the successful Moyes/Dyche low block tactics if that’s the direction they want to go in. I predict a Greek tragedy!

AEK’s last 5 results:

Vs - Dinamo Zagreb 2-2: 54% possession
Vs - Antwerp 1-0 loss: 64% possession
Vs Panserraikos FC 1-1: 82% possession
Vs Antwerp 1-2 loss: 63% possession
Vs NSC Volvos 2-3 win: 64% possession

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here