Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AEK Athens - ticketing process, tiers and all that jazz

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Well... one week ago today, I was sitting in a lovely rooftop cafe in Athens with my son, tucking into a wonderful three-course breakfast, the Acropolis to my right and the sun-drenched rooftops of Athens to my left. Both of us beaming and reflecting on a trip of a lifetime and the incredible experience at the game the night before. I am still totally buzzing and just elated from the Athens trip. Walking round my house constantly humming.. "We've got super Rob de Zerbi.."

The whole trip was just amazing and one myself and my lucky 17 year old son will cherish forever. Does anyone still feel this way? There are so many fantastic highlights but I think most of all it was just superb to meet so many BHA out there. Every cafe, bar, restaurant, plane trip, metro ride, we got chatting and befriended our lot – wonderful people all having the best time ever. Biggest smiles on their faces, swapping hilarious drunken tales and soaking up the stunning weather. Big shout outs to; Sam, Calum, Louis (Louis's Dad...Philip? sorry alcoholic amnesia), Levi, Lewis and George, Levi's parents (Martin and Levi's Mum who's name I've also shockingly lost to alcohol damage... sorry) and Mark on the Aegean plane back. All the lads and lasses back at Bretos bar... a pleasure to meet you all! I've come back in no doubt that our fans are the best in Britain/Europe ; -)

As for Athens, well – what a f***ing cool / vibrant city. It would have been a stunning city break anyway even without THAT game. 20 degrees in December, bedecked in Xmas lights and the local hospitality (tear gas apart) was outstanding as always from our Greek friends. I could go on and on (I won't). All in all, it's peak Albion (so far) for me and that's going back 45+ years of memories. One of the best weekends of my life – just wished I'd forced myself to the FBS gig too.

Anyway, this is a very long post as it's my first in over 20 years! Thanks to @Bozza for unblocking me from the random (and mistaken I might add) ban I received sometime in 2003. Only just got round to appealing haha. Hopefully will be contributing more on 'ere in the future. UTA!
I really loved this post. So genuine. It really moved me. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I agree, there was something surreal about wandering round the Parthenon and chatting to a couple of Albion fans sitting on an ancient lump of marble.

But I'm left wondering what sort of offence you committed to get a 20 year NSC ban. Perhaps something like "TBH, I really don't mind Palace that much" -- words I've contemplated tapping out more than once but haven't dared to. DOH!

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Marseille for the adventure, the incredible atmosphere and the comeback, but missed ko of our first away game in Europe and that will haunt me forever.
Ajax for the sheer joy of the performance and seeing thousands of happy Albion everywhere.
Athens for the city (only one of the three I hadn’t been to before), the food, our apartment with views of the Acropolis, how cheap it was, the weather, qualifying for the knock-outs, and yes the madness of what happened post-match in the stadium.
Can’t wait for what’s next.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I did Ajax and Athens away and Athens for me despite;
Flight departure Riyadh To Istanbul (SAW) flight leaving 15 minutes late and arriving 1.5 hours late.
Cab from SAW airport IST Airport at 150kmh as I had extremely little time to get there!
Not 1 but 2 scanners at IST with huge queues and me begging people at the front to let me through and they were all kind.
Finding a departure board that says last call and getting to the gate and finding a fairly long queue next to a bar! Then buys a water and coke instead of beer!
Flight in my Brighton European shirt sitting next to the ex Head of Security for AEK and now head of security for the Greek league, very nice chap.
Then the whole Athens vibe, mythos, gyros, tear gas, FBS, there with my 2 sons and brother and nephew. Visiting acropolis and going for a beer and Dunk sits down next to us.
Getting full on flu!
12 hour and 2 flights back feeling absolutely shit.
I wouldn't change a thing, incredible weekend.

Doug-ees-evil

Nov 18, 2011
I really loved this post. So genuine. It really moved me. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I agree, there was something surreal about wandering round the Parthenon and chatting to a couple of Albion fans sitting on an ancient lump of marble.

But I'm left wondering what sort of offence you committed to get a 20 year NSC ban. Perhaps something like "TBH, I really don't mind Palace that much" -- words I've contemplated tapping out more than once but haven't dared to. DOH!
That is very kind. Thanks and my pleasure! Athens went beyond 'just an away day' or a holiday for me. As many have mentioned, who you share it with is a massive factor in why Marseille, Amsterdam or Athens was a particular favourite for people. Sharing the experience with my son (who I only bagged a ticket and flight for 6 days before the game).. made this trip unforgettable and one I just found so uplifting and emotional to be honest. I just laughed the whole trip and have come away with so many great stories – really felt lucky and privileged to be able to be there. On the back of Forest away too (also a hugely memorable, mad and passionate game) my son and I were floating on a very happy BHA cloud. Not knocking Amsterdam either (as that was superb) and wished I'd have experienced the incredible Marseille atmosphere but overall chuffed, 2 out the 3 games – and Athens just rocked.

As for the ancient NSC ban. I've absolutely no idea (and nor has Bozza)! It's been a fun, long-standing gag with my mates as to the length of my banishment. I was going to say, I now feel like Terry Waite on release... but in fairness I think our Tezza might have gone through a bit more hardship than me :lolol:

Salty_Seagull

Quality over quantity
Jul 2, 2015
Brighton/Hove
Did Marseille and Athens, both unforgettable trips.
Marseille was great for it being our first European away trip and all the chaos that went on with the fans. Felt a bit more constricted on what we could/couldn't do for our time there but the Velodrome...wow. What a stadium and have never heard a noise quite like it there.
Athens though was just an incredible trip as a whole. Amazing weather, great (cheap) food and drink. Met so many of our lot over there and feel like I've made some new mates. Super friendly locals - was walking through the park next to acropolis when a horde of teenagers started running towards us shouting "hey Brighton fans". Thought we were going to get mugged for a minute but all they wanted was to take photos with us (they were Olympiakos fans). Could hear them chanting "F**K AEK!" for a good 20 minutes after we saw them. Saw them again a while later and they were so eager to point out the Olympiakos stadium in the distance. Then one of them wanted to wear my shirt for a photo. Was a bit hesitant but then thought F-it. Got a hilarious photo of me topless with a kid wearing my shirt that was far too big for him. FBS was immense too even if I was on the verge of passing out by the end of it.
All in all I feel so lucky to be able to have experienced these games. Will live long in the memory

NottinghamGull

Sep 21, 2023
Nottingham
Thanks to everyone for posting updates and the comparisons. Great to hear all the stories and see some of the videos. I do feel I missed out on the life experience of tear gas though!!

My son and I could only get tickets for the Marseille away game of the three. Would have loved to go to the other two also. So pleased that our first ever away game in Europe was in such a large stadium that we got a ticket allocation we couldn’t fill. As MA+ members we have to live of the scraps we can get.

Very thankful of the club’s approach to the home games. We were able to take advantage of the three match early bird set. Cannot wait until Thursday. I’ve previously posted on the contentious issue of leaving early eg for the Ajax game. With Nottingham being 4 hours drive without match day traffic, 5-10 minutes makes 1-2 hour difference. I’d rather not get home at 3am after 400 mile round trip.

Not this time. I want to be there when the final whistle goes and celebrate with other fans and the players. We’re through whatever the result. A win puts us top. After half a century of supporting Albion I never dreamt a day like this would come. I want the full match day experience! So mum in Eastbourne will have me for a couple of days so I can take the train and enjoy a pre/post match drink.

UTA

Doug-ees-evil

Nov 18, 2011
Whilst still on the Athens high... I'd also like to send out a massive Guy Butters sized thank you to the two BHA legends at the James Joyce pub about 3 hours before AEK KO, who saved my iphone from instant death. Some of you may have seen the social media posts about "Scenes.. as some numpty drops his phone down a drain cover..."
...Well that numpty was me ;) and the story is probably worth telling on here:

Keen to take a team shot outside the pub during high-sprited pre-match build up drinks, I catch my iphone on my pocket getting it out. It falls, hits the pavement and inexplicably takes a wicked deflection off an ancient paving slab – straight into and down a 4th century BC drain cover!!! My heart sinks as I see my phone (unbacked up for about 8 months, with all my life on it etc..) sinking slowly into a pile of leaves, pi*s and sh*t and overflow. Head in hands, screams and yelps from the BHA faithful boozing outside.. I can tell you it was a truly horrible moment. There was literally no way I could reach it and the drain cover looked like it had been set in place since the building of the Temple of Zeus.

"Grab a litter-picker from the bar quick!" they said, and so instead I ran off into the market area like a wild-man desperately looking for a solution. I found a weird bric-a-brac antiquities place by the flea market – run by some Greek fellas well into their 80s and through sign language alone, explained the crisis to some local gent. Within minutes, this legend got out his own walking stick and started gaffer-taping a set of pliers to the end! Genius I thought (although f*ck knows how it would have actually worked or pinched the phone out the drain). I thought we were onto a winner though.. but in between me hugging him and telling him he was a genius and that I loved him.. over my shoulder I could hear chanting.. celebrations and errr... the Joel Veltman song at full volume?

I look over and can see a mass of Albion bouncing up and down at the James Joyce pub – and my son with my phone in his hand! I sprint over with sh*t contraption in hand and it turns out two BHA lads from Littehampton (who happened to be drainage experts – miracle No.1) were there and standing next to them by chance was an old, knackered Greek odd job van – which happened to have some rope in the back (miracle No.2). By the time I'd finished creating the world's worst litter picker with Kristos, these legends had looped the rope around the drain cover, yanked it up and retrieved my phone! By the time I got there the girls were cleaning it up with anti-bac wipes and it worked... it bloody worked. Scenes of joy and wild abandon..and yes mighty relief.

So.. if you guys are on here.. thank you so so much again. Phone still works... hugely grateful/relieved.
It helped kind of set the tone for the fun and madness of the whole weekend.
:love:

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Whilst still on the Athens high... I'd also like to send out a massive Guy Butters sized thank you to the two BHA legends at the James Joyce pub about 3 hours before AEK KO, who saved my iphone from instant death. Some of you may have seen the social media posts about "Scenes.. as some numpty drops his phone down a drain cover..."
...Well that numpty was me ;) and the story is probably worth telling on here:

Keen to take a team shot outside the pub during high-sprited pre-match build up drinks, I catch my iphone on my pocket getting it out. It falls, hits the pavement and inexplicably takes a wicked deflection off an ancient paving slab – straight into and down a 4th century BC drain cover!!! My heart sinks as I see my phone (unbacked up for about 8 months, with all my life on it etc..) sinking slowly into a pile of leaves, pi*s and sh*t and overflow. Head in hands, screams and yelps from the BHA faithful boozing outside.. I can tell you it was a truly horrible moment. There was literally no way I could reach it and the drain cover looked like it had been set in place since the building of the Temple of Zeus.

"Grab a litter-picker from the bar quick!" they said, and so instead I ran off into the market area like a wild-man desperately looking for a solution. I found a weird bric-a-brac antiquities place by the flea market – run by some Greek fellas well into their 80s and through sign language alone, explained the crisis to some local gent. Within minutes, this legend got out his own walking stick and started gaffer-taping a set of pliers to the end! Genius I thought (although f*ck knows how it would have actually worked or pinched the phone out the drain). I thought we were onto a winner though.. but in between me hugging him and telling him he was a genius and that I loved him.. over my shoulder I could hear chanting.. celebrations and errr... the Joel Veltman song at full volume?

I look over and can see a mass of Albion bouncing up and down at the James Joyce pub – and my son with my phone in his hand! I sprint over with sh*t contraption in hand and it turns out two BHA lads from Littehampton (who happened to be drainage experts – miracle No.1) were there and standing next to them by chance was an old, knackered Greek odd job van – which happened to have some rope in the back (miracle No.2). By the time I'd finished creating the world's worst litter picker with Kristos, these legends had looped the rope around the drain cover, yanked it up and retrieved my phone! By the time I got there the girls were cleaning it up with anti-bac wipes and it worked... it bloody worked. Scenes of joy and wild abandon..and yes mighty relief.

So.. if you guys are on here.. thank you so so much again. Phone still works... hugely grateful/relieved.
It helped kind of set the tone for the fun and madness of the whole weekend.
:love:
It's good, but phonedrainman won't catch on without a video..........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here