Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AEK Athens - ticketing process, tiers and all that jazz

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Probably the best of the three games. I made a video on Instagram documenting the trip, which about sums it up in 1:30. Truly an unforgettable experience. Surreal really after growing up watching us play Rochdale, to watch us win in Athens followed by a Fat Boy Slim gig.

Cracking choice of tune too. That first Shame album is a banger!

Doug-ees-evil

Nov 18, 2011
I think it was better than QPR. More unbelievable. Players looked genuinely as happy as us at the end of the Athens game. Completely in sync. Not something you ever really imagine saying in modern football.

My Apple Watch clocked 119 decibels at the end of the game apparently.
Yes.. in fairness it was even better than QPR (never thought I'd say that) and agree fan/club/player connection is phenomenal.. and not something we can take for granted. Wow.. 119 decibels!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well... one week ago today, I was sitting in a lovely rooftop cafe in Athens with my son, tucking into a wonderful three-course breakfast, the Acropolis to my right and the sun-drenched rooftops of Athens to my left. Both of us beaming and reflecting on a trip of a lifetime and the incredible experience at the game the night before. I am still totally buzzing and just elated from the Athens trip. Walking round my house constantly humming.. "We've got super Rob de Zerbi.."

The whole trip was just amazing and one myself and my lucky 17 year old son will cherish forever. Does anyone still feel this way? There are so many fantastic highlights but I think most of all it was just superb to meet so many BHA out there. Every cafe, bar, restaurant, plane trip, metro ride, we got chatting and befriended our lot – wonderful people all having the best time ever. Biggest smiles on their faces, swapping hilarious drunken tales and soaking up the stunning weather. Big shout outs to; Sam, Calum, Louis (Louis's Dad...Philip? sorry alcoholic amnesia), Levi, Lewis and George, Levi's parents (Martin and Levi's Mum who's name I've also shockingly lost to alcohol damage... sorry) and Mark on the Aegean plane back. All the lads and lasses back at Bretos bar... a pleasure to meet you all! I've come back in no doubt that our fans are the best in Britain/Europe ; -)

As for Athens, well – what a f***ing cool / vibrant city. It would have been a stunning city break anyway even without THAT game. 20 degrees in December, bedecked in Xmas lights and the local hospitality (tear gas apart) was outstanding as always from our Greek friends. I could go on and on (I won't). All in all, it's peak Albion (so far) for me and that's going back 45+ years of memories. One of the best weekends of my life – just wished I'd forced myself to the FBS gig too.

Anyway, this is a very long post as it's my first in over 20 years! Thanks to @Bozza for unblocking me from the random (and mistaken I might add) ban I received sometime in 2003. Only just got round to appealing haha. Hopefully will be contributing more on 'ere in the future. UTA!
Didn't do Athens sadly, but did Ajax with my own youngest son, and feel exactly the same way about that (apart from the weather which was shit!)

Doug-ees-evil

Nov 18, 2011
I didn't do Marseille, but Athens was a much better trip than Ajax. I loved the city and the people. Their team was good too, whereas Ajax were just so bad that it all felt a bit easy.
Me neither Marseille which was a shame (although would probably have ended up in bankruptcy, divorce, or a clinic if I managed all three). Loved Ajax/Dam but there was no tension in the day/game. Just knew we would win and it was all a bit sedate really... albeit very enjoyable to bunk off work for two days and drink in Amsterdam. I feel from speaking to people who went to all three that Athens was THE one. Had everything and blew every high expectation out the water. I struggle to see how I could enjoy an Albion away day/trip anymore?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Me neither Marseille which was a shame (although would probably have ended up in bankruptcy, divorce, or a clinic if I managed all three). Loved Ajax/Dam but there was no tension in the day/game. Just knew we would win and it was all a bit sedate really... albeit very enjoyable to bunk off work for two days and drink in Amsterdam. I feel from speaking to people who went to all three that Athens was THE one. Had everything and blew every high expectation out the water. I struggle to see how I could enjoy an Albion away day/trip anymore?
Winning the thing in Dublin?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I did all three with my youngest they were all fantastic for different reasons. I think the ajax game shaded it given how well we played on top of the trip in general. Athens was new to me so up there too, especially with the weather. Marseille being the first, with that comeback, was also very special BUT the amount of dickhead albion fans detracted from the overall experience.

Bloody great group, let's hope we see off the fascist twats on Thursday.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
100%. We were incredibly loud.. reminded me of QPR away when we knew we were going up. Just sheer unbridled joy. Good job we were loud too as I see the AEK lot clocked 103 decibels (cheers DannyLast). Was at Forest the week before too and thought that was pretty epic too.
Was at QPR away and Athens away and both were very, very loud. The Pocognoli free-kick remains one of the greatest moments I've ever witnessed at a football match.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I did all three and frankly can't decide which was the best. I guess it pretty personal.

Marseille - it was the first, so despite being a total ballache in lots of ways has that distinction
Ajax - both my daughter and son came (just son for the others) to that one which made it extra special, it's a lovely city but agree re the football which did indeed feel very easy
Athens - the perfect combination of the above, helped by the fact we flew out the day before rather than same day which the other two did. Added bonus of ticking the "I've been tear gassed badge"

If I was asked to do one again it would probably be Ajax for the reasons stated. Also it was cheaper despite the daughter being there!

Doug-ees-evil

Nov 18, 2011
Was at QPR away and Athens away and both were very, very loud. The Pocognoli free-kick remains one of the greatest moments I've ever witnessed at a football match.
I was front row.. right by that post. If it hadn't had crashed into the post and top corner (sparking scenes of bedlam) then it would probably have put me and my mate in A&E :LOL:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I did all three with my youngest they were all fantastic for different reasons. I think the ajax game shaded it given how well we played on top of the trip in general. Athens was new to me so up there too, especially with the weather. Marseille being the first, with that comeback, was also very special BUT the amount of dickhead albion fans detracted from the overall experience.

Bloody great group, let's hope we see off the fascist twats on Thursday.
The Marseilles fans may be violent maniacs, but one thing they are not, traditionally at least, is fascist!

Police have often identified this fixture as “high-risk” and have banned away supporters from attending in the past.

While it is not Marseille’s main derby, it combines two clubs with a deep-seated ultra culture. Marseille’s Commandos Ultra ’84 are the oldest such group in France.

There are also political undertones to the tensions with Nice. While the CU’84 have a long-standing affiliation with the anti-fascist movement in southern France, some Nice fans have been linked to right-wing groups.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was amazed by how good Athens was, Ajax was one of the bestest Albion memories EVER, then to have that backed up 3 weeks later is mind-blowing.

I can't separate them, they were phenomenal experiences, for different reasons, although there with Jnr ties them together.

Both trips were probably made all the better by being in such a bad place, pre Amsterdam, I nearly binned the whole thing off.

The Albion in Europe is the nearest I've got to 'class A', I need another hit so badly.

The downside being playing the likes of Brentford and Burnley - what a monster I have become. 😂

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah, hard to disagree with any of that. By far my favourite Albion away day EVER. Great city, great atmosphere, feel absolutely privileged that I was able to be there with my old man.

I had a watch back on TNT and was astounded to realise that if you weren't in the ground you didn't get to see any of that post-match wonderfulness. The celebrations at the end were incredible and I've never been in an Albion crowd like that. Brought both me and my dad to tears (before then getting tear gassed). Those scenes will live with me forever. Pascal Gross sprinting across the pitch at full time to go absolutely mental with the fans. Jack Hinshelwood having to be told to listen to the away end a bit closer by Dunk because he couldn't quite believe we were chanting his name. JPVH going full John Terry and running on the pitch out of nowhere to lead the celebrations. Such a shame that TNT didn't show it at home because it was magic.
That was what I was looking forward to seeing when I got home (as most of the game wasn’t all that)……..such a shame it was presumably replaced with an ad break. Our own Gregg Wallace knee-sliding into the Masterchef semis was hilarious.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I didn't do Ajax but did do Marseille and Athens. It's really hard to compare the 2.

Marseille was one of the best Adventures I've ever had (throw in cancelled trains and late planes) and the noise in the ground was something I've never heard anywhere near before or since. I've never experienced quite such a contrast between that and our night in Montpellier.

Athens was mega fun - even though I threw up during the teargassing - and that Fat boy Slim gig was something else. Coupled with the Forest game the Saturday before, it was my favourite back to back games watching the Albion.

Both will live with me forever. I hope I can somehow score tickets for whatever the next one is.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I didn't do Ajax but did do Marseille and Athens. It's really hard to compare the 2.

Marseille was one of the best Adventures I've ever had (throw in cancelled trains and late planes) and the noise in the ground was something I've never heard anywhere near before or since. I've never experienced quite such a contrast between that and our night in Montpellier.

Athens was mega fun - even though I threw up during the teargassing - and that Fat boy Slim gig was something else. Coupled with the Forest game the Saturday before, it was my favourite back to back games watching the Albion.

Both will live with me forever. I hope I can somehow score tickets for whatever the next one is.
Same 2 aways and at Forest too! Both great in there own ways. Was an unbelievable week from Forest to Athens, and was very lucky to also experience the pretty raucous flight from Stansted!

The whole mini holiday and experience in Athens was better imho, a much nicer city, but the stadium experience in the Stade Velodrome was unbeatable.

Perfection wouldve been everything in Athens, the walk to the Stadium, go through the turnstiles and have the full Stade Velodrome experience, come out after game and be back in Athens!

Nicks

Marseille for that home crowd noise.

Ajax for a great game and going in most bars and seeing loads of old faces and mates

Athens for the way we battled for the result, the post match celebrations and the tear gas in the lower stand. ( Plus Big Philly the night before in the James Joyce )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here