Adam Virgo v Dan Harding

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoggy

Controversial!
Sep 28, 2006
BN1
Now, I am sure this will have no agreement, but I think that Dan Harding was as good a left back as Adam Virgo is a right back!

here is my argument...

firstly, Adam Virgo didn't really overly impress until he was played out of positon and played up front! whereas Dan Harding was a hot prospect as soon as he came into the first team, and i think he was a good player, and certainly a key member of the side that survived in the Championship!

secondly, it is in my opinion harder to be a left back than a right back, especially at the level they were playing at.

There are many quality right midfielders and they are in greater supply than left midfielders, you only have to look at the national side to prove that! and therefore by the time all the top 20 sides have claimed the best left sided players (i.e. premiership), the standard has dropped by a great margin.

On the other hand there are many more better right midfielders and many apply their trade in the Championship, thus suggesting the standard of right midfielders in this division will be higher than those playing left midfield.

This is my reason to back up the fact it is harder to play left back than right back, predominantly in the championship, and it is for this reason i argue that Harding is as good a player as Virgo.

I know this has little relevance to anything at the moment, but me and my friends were discussing this the otherday and could not agree on it at all! just thought i would put it out to a larger debate!

Jul 5, 2003
London
No. No. No.

Firstly are think you'll agree that Adam Virgo was a better player than Harding.

With respect to position, if Virgo had played at RB every week, he would been better than Harding. As he was moved around the park every week, he never got to impress properly in one position.

Look at how many goals Harding gave away, compared to Virgo when he played in defence. Too often Harding was a liability.

Hoggy

Controversial!
Sep 28, 2006
BN1
yes but the argument is also considering that it is harder to play left back in the championship than it is to play right back, suggesting it is no surprise he was at fault directly more times than Virgo, who was rarely at fault as he played up front!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Virgs was the better player as could play midfield , defence + attack. RB V Harding lb then would be closer but Virgs was generally steady if not spectacular. Harding was excellant at times but absolutely dog shit at others, You could not depend on him like you could Virgo

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hoggy said:
here is my argument...

secondly, it is in my opinion harder to be a left back than a right back, especially at the level they were playing at.

There are many quality right midfielders and they are in greater supply than left midfielders, you only have to look at the national side to prove that! and therefore by the time all the top 20 sides have claimed the best left sided players (i.e. premiership), the standard has dropped by a great margin.

Firstly - you are wrong. Virgo over Harding every time.

Secondly - the main thrust of your argument is self defeating. If there are so few left footed players available, which apparently makes playing RB esay, then by the same token there will be few left backs available, making it easier for Harding to make the grade in the first place then right footed defenders from the same year group.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Plus Virgo would utterly beat the SHIT out of Harding in a fight.

Hoggy

Controversial!
Sep 28, 2006
BN1
Fragmented Badger said:
But that's just a bollocks argument. What happens when we play a team with a decent left winger and nothing on the right?

we are not talking specific games, this is a general argument, obviously in that scenario it wouldnt work, but if the left midfielder is that much better he is more than likely going to be whisked away to a premiership side!

shall we generalsie the argument and i'll ask you to disagree with my statement?

"it is more dificult to play left back in THE CHAMPIONSHIP than it is to play right back"

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Fragmented Badger said:
What an utterly stupid question. Virgo, a total legend who would run through a wall for the club, had no small amount of skill, and was our best player in a number of positions, or Harding, a complete tart who could barely make a tackle, had the pace of a snail, and left at the first opportunity. Let me think about it:shootself

Harding was not slow, physically weak at times, but technically a good player.

Virgo worked his arse off, which is rightly why he is fondly remembered. However he was not a great right back, ok, but not great, Hinsh was a better centre back, but up front he did a good job and part of this was down to his work rate.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Virgo was a crap right back at Championship level. Harding was inconsistent but as a fullback - no contest.

Hoggy

Controversial!
Sep 28, 2006
BN1
Uncle Buck said:
Harding was not slow, physically weak at times, but technically a good player.

Virgo worked his arse off, which is rightly why he is fondly remembered. However he was not a great right back, ok, but not great, Hinsh was a better centre back, but up front he did a good job and part of this was down to his work rate.

are you supporting my original argument that harding is better lb than virgo is rb UB? ???

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Hoggy said:
are you supporting my original argument that harding is better lb than virgo is rb UB? ???

I think we got market value for Harding, where as we fleeced the Beggars for Virgo.

Harding had the makings of a good player. He was actually a decent footballer and could read the game well, one of his best games in that Championship season was at home to Reading where he played at centre back after Hinsh went off, his reading of the game was good. However he was physically weak and at times looked a tad disinterested and when he messed up it could be costly.

Virgo grafted and had talent and people liked him. As a centre back I often felt his positional play could be found wanting, I remember that game at Blackpool where he played at centre back and I think it was Taylor dragged him all over the pitch. In a 3 man defence he was OK, partly as others could cover him. Also when it came to centre backs, Cullip, Butters and Hinshlewood were all better than him. However up front he was impressive, but part of that was down to a fantastic attitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports