Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Grooming
Starting points: 2 years custody if the victim is 13 or over but under 16
Sentencing ranges: 1 - 4 years custody
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/s15_grooming/

Sexual activity with a child
It depends on the activity. There seems to be a general belief, and the latest article link seems to concur that this was kissing. This would come under "Contact between part of offender's body (other than the genitalia) with part of the victim's body (other than the genitalia)"
Starting points: Community order
Sentencing ranges: An appropriate non-custodial sentence
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/s9_sexual_activity_with_a_child/ (includes recommendations for other types of contact)

The links also contain aggravation and mitigation that can affect the sentencing.

Thta's the UK for you. What if it was in Germany?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Judge has said 4-10 years. Sentencing in 2-3 weeks. Out on bail.

Would he get that long if he was Joe Blogs, plumbers mate? I doubt it, isnt justice meant to be blind?
I don't endorse anything he has done, but 4-10 years is an awfully long stretch for what he has pleaded guilty to, and one charge of petting that he pleaded not guilty too.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Would he get that long if he was Joe Blogs, plumbers mate? I doubt it, isnt justice meant to be blind?
I don't endorse anything he has done, but 4-10 years is an awfully long stretch for what he has pleaded guilty to, and one charge of petting that he pleaded not guilty too.

Was just thinking the same thing.

I swear that there have been rapists get less time? It does seem a bit lengthy

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
What he has decided me holds a maximum of 14 years!

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
He's been found guilty of a sexual act bring performed on him...

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Very much this

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Apologies, I thought the radio had said guilty, but you're right he was cleared of oral and guilty of touching...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Cases involving celebrities are always thought to either be harsher because they are a celebrity, or more lenient because they are a celebrity.

There is a certain power celebrities have over fans, and the abuse of that should be, imo, consider on a par with the abuse of powers teachers in similar circumstances (or doctors, police, etc). So I wouldn't criticise the judge if he is being stricter with it.

However, I suspect it is simply what the guidelines say, and people are projecting biases onto it that don't actually exist.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Cases involving celebrities are always thought to either be harsher because they are a celebrity, or more lenient because they are a celebrity.

There is a certain power celebrities have over fans, and the abuse of that should be, imo, consider on a par with the abuse of powers teachers in similar circumstances (or doctors, police, etc). So I wouldn't criticise the judge if he is being stricter with it.

However, I suspect it is simply what the guidelines say, and people are projecting biases onto it that don't actually exist.

I know it's going back a few years, but when Tony Adams went down for drink driving, the Judge actually said he was giving him six months(well over the top, at the time) as a deterrent to other young men.I've no sympathy with footballers who break the law in general, but I do feel, they should be treated the same as the rest of us, or the principal of blind justice isn't being adhered to.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
So, me being a bit slow here, did he tell the club he was innocent, kept playing and getting a salary until last few weeks when he went guilty?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems very odd to me that the jury felt they could come to the conclusion of one and not the other when both were one persons word against the other (seemingly from the reports I have read)

Might have something to do with the judge saying he would accept a majority rule I guess?

By no means a criticism, question of their ability, just an observation. What an utterly stupid man to have all of that, a beautiful girlfriend and a kid born to not only cheat but with a 15 year old!

Doesn't strike me as odd to convict on a more vague charge rather than a more specific one. And there was other evidence, it wasn't just his word against hers; there was a slew of text messages for starters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, me being a bit slow here, did he tell the club he was innocent, kept playing and getting a salary until last few weeks when he went guilty?

It seems this is the case. But it is a fact he stated total innocence until the last minute...only he knows why this was.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I'm sure that I heard it reported earlier that he admitted grooming and kissing to the club a year ago. They allowed him to keep playing, and the girl involved suffered all sorts of mental anguish, being called a liar etc. If I have interpreted this correctly, Sunderland don't come out of it well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here