Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam johnson sacked

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How on earth can his girlfriend stay with him? Doesn't she have any self-respect?

It's very easy to say that as an outsider. Just as it's easy to ask why a victim of domestic abuse doesn't leave their abusive partner. People like to talk down any woman who happens to date/marry a footballer, as if it's impossible for them to genuinely fall in love with a footballer, and as if their entire relation revolves around his career status. There is an assumption that they are all self-confident, calculating whore, in complete control of what she wants.

We don't know the ins and outs of their relationship, we don't know her character. It's possible she has no self-respect, or it could be a lack of self confidence, or it could be he has stood by her during some difficult times and she feels she owes him, it could be the fear of loneliness and starting again that keeps a lot of people in relationships longer than they should, it could be that she strongly believes in second chances and wants to stand by him and help him become a better person, to learn from this and change and if there's a repeat occurrence, or if she is willing to work past him agreeing to meet someone and kissing them but if (despite his denials that it went further) it's proven to have gone further, then she'll be off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's very easy to say that as an outsider. Just as it's easy to ask why a victim of domestic abuse doesn't leave their abusive partner. People like to talk down any woman who happens to date/marry a footballer, as if it's impossible for them to genuinely fall in love with a footballer, and as if their entire relation revolves around his career status. There is an assumption that they are all self-confident, calculating whore, in complete control of what she wants.

We don't know the ins and outs of their relationship, we don't know her character. It's possible she has no self-respect, or it could be a lack of self confidence, or it could be he has stood by her during some difficult times and she feels she owes him, it could be the fear of loneliness and starting again that keeps a lot of people in relationships longer than they should, it could be that she strongly believes in second chances and wants to stand by him and help him become a better person, to learn from this and change and if there's a repeat occurrence, or if she is willing to work past him agreeing to meet someone and kissing them but if (despite his denials that it went further) it's proven to have gone further, then she'll be off.

You raise a good point about domestic abuse. There's a control element to sustained abuse though. This Johnson case strikes me as a very different situation. But, you're right in that I don't know what makes them click and I am an outsider.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I agree that it could be any of those things or it could be that she likes the lifestyle that sticking by him provides ???

I've known people who put up with all sorts of s*** because they like the lifestyle (not necessarily in the entertainment/sport world, but enjoying significant wealth)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree that it could be any of those things or it could be that she likes the lifestyle that sticking by him provides ???

I've known people who put up with all sorts of s*** because they like the lifestyle (not necessarily in the entertainment/sport world, but enjoying significant wealth)

Finance is just another form of control; it's horrible.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
While grooming has a wide interpretation, it requires at least one prior meeting making it very unlikely that it was just a case of a guy in a club assuming the girl was ID checked on the door.

Just tried to find the original thread about this, and in doing so found the post with the definition of grooming putting it at 'at least two occassions' before meeting someone

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Oh right let's just hang him now then

Now I'm going hazard a guess by the sarcastic tone of your response, that you haven't in fact said something that is a suitable suggestion for punishment for child sex offenders.
And in fact you are in some way going to defend his actions and his admission of committing an offence of sexual nature with a child?
Please enlighten us all with your defence!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If he's just going to get done for the two things he's held his hands up for how long is he looking at?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If he's just going to get done for the two things he's held his hands up for how long is he looking at?

Grooming
Starting points: 2 years custody if the victim is 13 or over but under 16
Sentencing ranges: 1 - 4 years custody
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/s15_grooming/

Sexual activity with a child
It depends on the activity. There seems to be a general belief, and the latest article link seems to concur that this was kissing. This would come under "Contact between part of offender's body (other than the genitalia) with part of the victim's body (other than the genitalia)"
Starting points: Community order
Sentencing ranges: An appropriate non-custodial sentence
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/s9_sexual_activity_with_a_child/ (includes recommendations for other types of contact)

The links also contain aggravation and mitigation that can affect the sentencing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Found Guilty of the 'touching' charge.

Found Not Guilty of the 'having a sex act performed on him' charge.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Seems very odd to me that the jury felt they could come to the conclusion of one and not the other when both were one persons word against the other (seemingly from the reports I have read)

Might have something to do with the judge saying he would accept a majority rule I guess?

By no means a criticism, question of their ability, just an observation. What an utterly stupid man to have all of that, a beautiful girlfriend and a kid born to not only cheat but with a 15 year old!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I just can't get over the level of either arrogance or wilful stupidity involved in making the decision to do something like this. It is beyond belief.
The thought of being worshipped probably saw his ego go through the roof and he felt powerful and got seriously carried away.

Can't believe he's been bailed lol

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Judge has said 4-10 years. Sentencing in 2-3 weeks. Out on bail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here