Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El-Abd or Lewis Dunk?

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
When Gordon Greer returns from his enforced mid-winter break Gus is going to have a central defence selection problem. Does he play Lewis or Adam as the other centre back? Which one will become the bench warmer?

Dunk is arguably our most improved player so far this season getting stronger and playing better almost game by game. Prem League teams are reported to be looking him over. However, after a few mishits at full back Adam had a stormer against the Saints in his best position in the centre of defence. He added some steel and must needed grit and determination to the whole team.

So who makes way? What do you think?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ideally, Dunk and El HAB will have stormers, not concede a goal in any of the three games and Greer sits out until one or either of their form drops.

If neither had put a foot wrong while Greer was out, I'd be annoyed if Poyet stuck Greer back in the side.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No rush to decide. In 3 games time, one of those two will probably be suspended or injured or abducted by aliens.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
When Gordon Greer returns from his enforced mid-winter break Gus is going to have a central defence selection problem. Does he play Lewis or Adam as the other centre back? Which one will become the bench warmer?

Dunk is arguably our most improved player so far this season getting stronger and playing better almost game by game. Prem League teams are reported to be looking him over. However, after a few mishits at full back Adam had a stormer against the Saints in his best position in the centre of defence. He added some steel and must needed grit and determination to the whole team.

So who makes way? What do you think?
for the long term, has to be Greer and Dunk all the way but as you say Adam was faultless on Monday and canny as f*** with fatty ricky, which Lewis probably wouldn't've been. So maybe Gus, in the unlikely event of a full squad, can pick his team based on who'll do the best job on the day? :guitar: :albion2:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
assuming neither of them get sent off in the next 3 games (miracles do happen) then I think that Gus needs to work on them a bit, surely with a bit of coaching all three could turn out for us, with one of them switching code and working on the right or the left.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm guessing Adam will "keep the shirt" and when Greer comes back, he'll slot back in alongside him.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I'm guessing Adam will "keep the shirt" and when Greer comes back, he'll slot back in alongside him.
think you're probably right. Dunk has way more class but the next month or two are gonna call for nous and grit so El Abd for now I guess :albion2:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
It's what a manager would call a "nice problem to have" and you don't get manay of them.

They are all capable, some are more flexible at FB than others, and I'm sure Gus will have no problem always being able to field a strong pairing at CB, and as others have said, injuries and suspensions do happen. Is Adam not going to the African Nations Cup this year?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What the...? I find myself agreeing with TCB :ohmy:

El Abd was spot on against Saints: I worried that he might be found out at this level but he showed no sign in that game. Dunk has had a great season but I'm still not convinced he's quite as good as some of the reports linking him to top clubs would have you think. He's an excellent player but I'd be amazed if a top 6 club went for him at this stage of his career.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
assuming neither of them get sent off in the next 3 games (miracles do happen) then I think that Gus needs to work on them a bit, surely with a bit of coaching all three could turn out for us, with one of them switching code and working on the right or the left.

No no no no no no no no no no.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I really would sell Dunk if his rep is so high at the mo. I think he's quality but it's the one pos where we've got loads of cover and could use the dough to get a ???????????? (want to say GK and FB but unlikely)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here