Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Actors you can't stand

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Seeing the latest series of All Creatures Great and Small on the TV, and how good Samuel West is as Siegried Farnon, reminds me of how rubbish an actor I always thought Robert Hardy was.

The funny thing is I sometimes confuse Roberts Hardy and Shaw - only in name - and Robert Shaw was superb in everything I ever saw him do, particularly a Man for All Seasons (as Henry VIII), and in the originaal Taking of Pelham 123, where he was the chief baddy.

In more recent actors, Tom Cruise never inspires me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When I first got to the States people kept banging on about how great SNL was. Watched it once and it really was shite. I know back in its heyday it produced people like Dan Aykroyd, Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy and John Belushi but those days are well past

Exactly. And even when they were on, the sketches were a bit meh. But went on to make some very funny films. I think Chevy Chase is still my favourite, even though he is allegedly an absolute A-hole.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Seeing the latest series of All Creatures Great and Small on the TV, and how good Samuel West is as Siegried Farnon, reminds me of how rubbish an actor I always thought Robert Hardy was.

The funny thing is I sometimes confuse Roberts Hardy and Shaw - only in name - and Robert Shaw was superb in everything I ever saw him do, particularly a Man for All Seasons (as Henry VIII), and in the originaal Taking of Pelham 123, where he was the chief baddy.

In more recent actors, Tom Cruise never inspires me.

Robert Hardy was a patron of my old school. He came to open the new library, grunted a few words, looked at us like we were pond-scum and ****ed off. To be fair, I can’t blame him but if one volunteers to be a school patron it’s probably an idea to show at least some mild interest.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
When I first got to the States people kept banging on about how great SNL was. Watched it once and it really was shite. I know back in its heyday it produced people like Dan Aykroyd, Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy and John Belushi but those days are well past

Well British and American comedy is very very different, the average American for instance just doesn't understand satire, and personally speaking most comedic offereings from across the pond leave me cold. I just don't find them funny.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A comedy actor who l find totally overrated is David Jason, something of a comedy icon in this country l know, but not with me.

Excellent as Del Boy in Only Fools l'll admit, but in most of his many other roles he didn't do much for me at all, and in the guise of Jack Frost l thought he over acted terribly.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

My friends in Canada talk about it all the time too. I've seen a couple of clips of "classic" sketches which have usually been quite funny. However, on the few occassions I've watched an episode I haven't found it remotely funny. It's usually a load of "in" jokes, or shouty humour.

I'm also adding Tom Hiddleston to the list.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A comedy actor who l find totally overrated is David Jason, something of a comedy icon in this country l know, but not with me.

Excellent as Del Boy in Only Fools l'll admit, but in most of his many other roles he didn't do much for me at all, and in the guise of Jack Frost l thought he over acted terribly.

I’ve always thought he comes across as a bit of a twit. I may be completely wrong but he strikes me as someone who’d be rude to waiters.

It’s similar to my suspicion that when nobody is watching, David Attenborough kicks ducks up the arse.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Well British and American comedy is very very different, the average American for instance just doesn't understand satire, and personally speaking most comedic offereings from across the pond leave me cold. I just don't find them funny.

Agreed. As well as not understanding satire, there is never really any subtlety or nuance in their comedy which the Brits do so well.

There have been some exceptions - I think Frasier and Curb Your Enthusiasm more than hold their own against some of the classic British sitcoms.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve always thought he comes across as a bit of a twit. I may be completely wrong but he strikes me as someone who’d be rude to waiters.

It’s similar to my suspicion that when nobody is watching, David Attenborough kicks ducks up the arse.

His sister lives by my brother and he is a bit of a nitwit I’ve heard. David Jason that is.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
US comedies that I thought were good…

CYE is just outstanding.

Parks n Rec had three tremendous seasons.

The Office remake. I held out for years but watched a few and got onto it. Once they get past the U.K. episodes and start doing their own thing it’s brilliant. Except for the episodes with Will Ferrel. But James Spader and Idris Elba are supreme in this.

Film wise I think there’s been some wonderful US comedies. Far too many to mention. But largely their stand-up sucks balls. With the odd fantastic exception.

Whenever a yank or Canadian is on a British panel show, they usually tank. With the exception of Reginald D Hunter.
That bloody Rob Delaney with his thatched head. Possibly one of the least funny ones around at the moment.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
His sister lives by my brother and he is a bit of a nitwit I’ve heard. David Jason that is.

If that is in Sompting, then not really fair, she recently lost her husband and quite possibly for a while has the starting's of either dementia or alzheimer's. My boss lives next door to her, and sent some chaps round last week to help her with some things around the house and garden. As anyone knows with family or friends that have had either, the signs are there long before it rears it's ugly head, so nitwit is unfair.

You were not to know that though, but there is always a reason people are like they are.

Ah just seen the David Jason bit, sorry.
Although it does run in families.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If that is in Sompting, then not really fair, she recently lost her husband and quite possibly for a while has the starting's of either dementia or alzheimer's. My boss lives next door to her, and sent some chaps round last week to help her with some things around the house and garden. As anyone knows with family or friends that have had either, the signs are there long before it rears it's ugly head, so nitwit is unfair.

You were not to know that though, but there is always a reason people are like they are.

I think he meant DJ, not the sister.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Danny Dyer - acting as himself, rent a Cockney gob who appears on too much TV.
Hugh Grant - acting as himself, very wooden and incredibly limited.
Ricky Gervais
Reese Witherspoon
James Nesbitt
Wilf Zaha
Bruno horse-teeth Fernandes
Miranda Hart
Cameron Diaz
James Corden
Robin Williams
Julia Roberts
Sandra Bullock
Keira Knightly

[Controversially - I love the work/movies of Cruise, Maggie Smith, Neeson, Clive Owen, Bale, Wahlberg, Sandler, Ben Affleck, Jackman, Streep, DiCaprio, Steve Martin ................................... dons tin hat & heads for cover].

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Jane Horrocks - can't stand her - something to do with her unrelenting playing of northern stereotypes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here