Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Actors you can't stand

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A comedy actor who l find totally overrated is David Jason, something of a comedy icon in this country l know, but not with me.

Excellent as Del Boy in Only Fools l'll admit, but in most of his many other roles he didn't do much for me at all, and in the guise of Jack Frost l thought he over acted terribly.

It's almost like once he became a 'national treasure' he was beyond criticism. He was great as Del Boy, but Granville was just a sad loser and Jack Frost had no real credibility.

Again, Miriam Margoyles, another national treasure, is great on chat shows and travel programmes but in no way is she a great actress

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I hate to say it, but I think David Jason is a dreadful actor. He is Del Boy, so that was perfect for him. And he's ok in Open All Hours and Porridge, because he's bouncing off the genius Ronnie Barker. But in everything else, he's not a good actor at all.

Think he was pretty good as the green bloke in Star Wars

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Again, Miriam Margoyles, another national treasure, is great on chat shows and travel programmes but in no way is she a great actress

Has anyone ever declared her a great actress? As you say she is great on chat shows as she is unpredictably bonkers and says exactly what she thinks. What we all need is her and Brian Blessed on the same couch! :)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I originally misread the thread title as "Actors who can't stand"...

Strictly speaking although Raymond Burr was able bodied in real life he was unable to stand in his role as Police Inspector Ironside.

s-l300.jpg

Richard Tonge on the other hand who played Sandy in Crossroads was provided with a wheelchair for his role as Sandy to accomodate his real life health issues which prevented him from standing for extended periods.

Crossroads-tv-programme.jpg

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I absolutely despise Tom Hardy. Hands down the most overrated actor since Heath Ledger (amazing as Joker but shit otherwise)
I can't stand Hardy's stupid voice, Legend (squeaky ****), Batman (mumbling ****), venom (sounds like he has learning difficulties), I actively avoid watching anything he's in as he really angers me.
Only film I liked him in was Mad Max, because you couldn't see his annoying face and he barely spoke.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I absolutely despise Tom Hardy. Hands down the most overrated actor since Heath Ledger (amazing as Joker but shit otherwise)
I can't stand Hardy's stupid voice, Legend (squeaky ****), Batman (mumbling ****), venom (sounds like he has learning difficulties), I actively avoid watching anything he's in as he really angers me.
Only film I liked him in was Mad Max, because you couldn't see his annoying face and he barely spoke.

Locke is one of the few things he is good in.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Keira Knightley - can’t stand her. Plays the same silly simpering character all the time.

Ewan McGregor. Was in one of the best films of all time and then revealed himself to be an up his own arse luvvie who made ever more rubbish films. Now in the Sean Connery role of professional Scotsman who lives on the other side of the world.

Dudley Moore. Saved by the brilliance of Peter Cook but his Hollywood films were all rubbish.

Meghan Fox. Apart from the scene in Transformers obviously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Danny Dyer - acting as himself, rent a Cockney gob who appears on too much TV.
Hugh Grant - acting as himself, very wooden and incredibly limited.
Ricky Gervais
Reese Witherspoon
James Nesbitt
Wilf Zaha
Bruno horse-teeth Fernandes
Miranda Hart
Cameron Diaz
James Corden
Robin Williams
Julia Roberts
Sandra Bullock
Keira Knightly

[Controversially - I love the work/movies of Cruise, Maggie Smith, Neeson, Clive Owen, Bale, Wahlberg, Sandler, Ben Affleck, Jackman, Streep, DiCaprio, Steve Martin ................................... dons tin hat & heads for cover].

Christian Bale in American Psycho is superb. It's one of my favourite films.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Heath Ledger was a very ordinary, unassuming actor who metamorphosed into something quite extraordinary as the Joker, managing to convey extreme malevolence. I wonder if he came up with the lip licking himself?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Will Poulter is a good call. Hated him in Detroit and hated the film

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Have to agree. His only good film is The Drop but then again he mumbles his way through this too. good film though.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Danny Dyer - acting as himself, rent a Cockney gob who appears on too much TV.
Hugh Grant - acting as himself, very wooden and incredibly limited.
Ricky Gervais
Reese Witherspoon
James Nesbitt
Wilf Zaha
Bruno horse-teeth Fernandes
Miranda Hart
Cameron Diaz
James Corden
Robin Williams
Julia Roberts
Sandra Bullock
Keira Knightly

It's obviously very personal and I can agree with your list apart from these two.
Robin Williams proved his chops in Good Will Hunting, One Hour Photo and World's Greatest Dad imo (edit - and is brilliant in Mrs Doubtfire of course).
And Hugh Grant matured and showed his in Paddington (yes, indeed) , The Gentleman and a Very English Scandal imo.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Elizabeth Hurley.
Turns up at a premier on the arm of Hugh Grant wearing a dress with a few safety pins and she rose to fame from there.
Just a pair of titties, an absolutely awful actress but has gone on to make millions.
I almost dislike her as much as Victoria Beckham for making millions by being shit.
It makes my piss boil!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's obviously very personal and I can agree with your list apart from these two.
Robin Williams proved his chops in Good Will Hunting, One Hour Photo and World's Greatest Dad imo (edit - and is brilliant in Mrs Doubtfire of course).
And Hugh Grant matured and showed his in Paddington (yes, indeed) , The Gentleman and a Very English Scandal imo.

Robin Williams - was a highly talented and charismatic actor/performer. Other than Good Will Hunting (a great film), I just found his characters so irritating eg in Hook. Just meant I couldn’t stand seeing him in his movies …. along the lines of this thread’s theme.

Paddington - I love the movies, I can lose myself with my kids (but now teens) in their world. To me, it’s despite Grant. Imho he sums up the class advantages still in this country …. a posh boy, privileged, independent or grammar school in a rich area educated, a scholarship …. moderate talent, but inflated confidence and connections. We beg to differ :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Robin Williams - was a highly talented and charismatic actor/performer. Other than Good Will Hunting (a great film), I just found his characters so irritating eg in Hook. Just meant I couldn’t stand seeing him in his movies …. along the lines of this thread’s theme.

Paddington - I love the movies, I can lose myself with my kids (but now teens) in their world. To me, it’s despite Grant. Imho he sums up the class advantages still in this country …. a posh boy, privileged, independent or grammar school in a rich area educated, a scholarship …. moderate talent, but inflated confidence and connections. We beg to differ :)

I really thought RW was one of the least funny people. He’s had some good film roles though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here