Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aberdeen Friendly

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I listened to the commentary of the game today.

Background ! On Aberdeen FC's apparently largest forum, they were absolutely scathing about Langfield's performance over the last decade and indeed many Aberdeen fans stated they would not be attending as it was perceived that the subject of the Testimonial would benefit from their attendance (this despite the fact he had apparently pledged the net proceeds to charity). Aberdonians DO however have a reputation for meanness so some may have been looking for any excuse !

It sounds like he took his chance to prove those criticising him wrong by playing a blinder today and even according to the commentary made at least three amazing saves (one out of this world from Kaz) during the first half and others in the second - he was ultimately named Man of the Match.

Whilst this does not excuse our shortcomings, these were factors to be taken into account together with the fact that we didn't play anything like our strongest team in a friendly match against a club who have already registered four Europa League matches already this season and whose fitness levels were almost certainly above those of our squad.

I look forward to seeing the extended highlights on player and will pass my personal judgement after the Premier League clubs have registered their squads and potential signings will become more apparent. Thereafter we should await the closing of the transfer window and subsequent loan transfer window before w--tt--g t-- -ed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
and this is the third pre-season match in which we've failed to score (despite being quite dominant, apparently).

and a glass half full reaction - we have scored 7 pre season goals when our two strikers who will probably start in a fortnight have been on the pitch together

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
and a glass half full reaction - we have scored 7 pre season goals when our two strikers who will probably start in a fortnight have been on the pitch together

The bulk of which came against a team in the third tier of the swiss league - not a notoriously difficult league at the top end. The rest came against a team now in the fourth tier of our league.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The fact is, unless we sign a proven forward and two decent creative players, this team doesn't have enough in it other than to be also run mid table dross at best. It just doesn't have the goals in it. This is compounded by the fact we have one of the dullest managers currently plying his trade in the football league.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Did Barcelona lose to Man Utd 19 times last season leading them to be threatened with relegation? Because we failed to score 19 times last season - the major reason we were looking over our shoulder for so much of the season, and this is the third pre-season match in which we've failed to score (despite being quite dominant, apparently).

Friendlies do mean little. Someone else mentioned 'knee jerk reactions' as if this is some reactionary response to one match.

But the truth is that most of the people who aren't thrilled right now aren't basing their fear/negativity on one friendly match. It's not "just one match", not "just a friendly". It's not a result being taken in isolation.

It is (or is perceived as) a continuation of the troubles of last season, troubles that there were hopes/expectations of the club addressing.

Who did we have as strikers when we started the season after signed Ulloa?
- Ulloa, CMS, Hoskins and Barnes and we made the play offs

We've signed a new striker in Hemed and have Baldock, Colunga and COG
Are we really worse off? How about we give the new guy a chance and lets also see what Baldock can do whilst playing as a striker.

Can we at least start the season before it's declared a distaster

Far too early to write us off for anything, just some people have a really negative outlook and that's hard to change, even when things are looking better than before.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Hg

Are we really worse off? How about we give the new guy a chance and lets also see what Baldock can do whilst playing as a striker.

Far too early to write us off for anything, just some people have a really negative outlook and that's hard to change, even when things are looking better than before.

You watch it all go up in smoke Guy Fawkes on the 7th August, no need to wait till November

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
The fact is,unless we sign a proven forward and two decent creative players, this team doesn't have enough in it other than to be also run mid table dross at best. It just doesn't have the goals in it. This is compounded by the fact we have one of the dullest managers currently plying his trade in the football league.

Well the fact isn't really, if you had read the OPs post you would have picked up the important issue of Season Loans from the Prem, the last two seasons we have used that facility Lingard and Tex, with some success (surprisingly). I'm confident that will be the case this season. I for one am prepared to at least give CH a chance to prove himself with his own squad...unfair not to IMO.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Quality doom mongering lads, well done.

I am predicting that you will all be pleasantly surprised by the forthcoming season.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Hg

You watch it all go up in smoke Guy Fawkes on the 7th August, no need to wait till November

Does the season only last one game now?

I thought that there were 46 league games and still plenty of time to bring in new players (if and when needed) either permanent (until the end of the summer window, then again in January) or during the loan window which opens after the permanent window closes.

No need to panic.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham

I thought that there were 46 league games and still plenty of time to bring in new players (if and when needed) either permanent (until the end of the summer window, then again in January) or during the loan window which opens after the permanent window closes.

No need to panic.

Ok Mr Fawkes, it's gonna be an explosive season though I can feel it

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

No need to panic.
I wouldn't expect anything in the loan window as the club have gone on record as saying they prefer to use the dev squad rather than get in a 93 day loan.

You are right, though. Still plenty of time to get the 4/5 signings we need - 5 weeks until transfer deadline day, although we really could do with at least a winger and a central defender by Forest.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I've not written the season off, yet. As I said earlier, I don't put a great deal of stock into friendlier myself, What I'm saying is people are wrong to simply dismiss other people's concerns with the suggestion they are reacting to one match.

Three of the four strikers for this season you listed struggled to find the target/get games last season, and have not shown much improvement in that area this preseason. Two of the four strikers for two seasons ago did a job in the premier league last season. I'd say there was a notable difference in quality.

But it's also not about just comparing our strikers this season to those we had two seasons ago. It's about the whole team, the creative players, wide players, support players where we still aren't there. Even if Hemed can find the net regularly, he won't be able to do it all on his own.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
These pre-season friendlies are a fantastic indicator of how well a team will do and it's totally justified that people are losing their minds over this result.

Don't believe me? Take a look at the below. These are Watford's pre-season results from last year.

Watford are currently sitting SECOND TO BOTTOM in the Premie.... oh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here