Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] ABᗺA - Going to be an anti-climax isn't it?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
ABBA or STEPS?

F22BB1C4-8E91-4064-A092-27007CC9BE79.jpeg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, if you liked it the first time round, you'll still love it. I felt a little wee go down my leg as I stared expressionless into my watery plate of mince. Riveting.

What was it you said ?

Zero progression and just a money making exercise. Not for me Clive, adds nothing to music. They were of their time and very good too but the time is gone.

Not aimed at me though, you’d have had to drag me kicking and screaming to watch Mama Mia and that was a MASSIVE success :shrug:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Zero progression and just a money making exercise. Not for me Clive, adds nothing to music. They were of their time and very good too but the time is gone.

Not aimed at me though, you’d have had to drag me kicking and screaming to watch Mama Mia and that was a MASSIVE success :shrug:

I hated Mama Mia.

I don't think it's a money making exercise, they have enough of that. The royalties must still be pouring in. More a last hurrah. They're nearing their 80s.

I honestly enjoyed it. It was almost a follow up to their later stuff. Same music, same beautiful tones.

Not for everyone. I'd be cautious at such a comeback, but I've had them on and it's really nice.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Steps, or whoever produced them, lifted as much Abba as they could and gave it to a new generation. They didn't quite manage it. Try and listen to it and forget Steps ever happened.

I liked them at the time. Now I don't.

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I’ve got tickets and can’t wait. :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hated Mama Mia.

I don't think it's a money making exercise, they have enough of that. The royalties must still be pouring in. More a last hurrah. They're nearing their 80s.

I honestly enjoyed it. It was almost a follow up to their later stuff. Same music, same beautiful tones.

Not for everyone. I'd be cautious at such a comeback, but I've had them on and it's really nice.

I get that, I wouldn’t have ever gone to a Cliff Richard concert but I totally accept that he was very very good at what he did :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I worked at the BC when the Mamma Mia stage show was doing the rounds again. Hats off to any man brave enough to go and sit in that audience. It’ was as of every Hen party in the South East had converged in one place for a week. I lost count of how many Prosecco ravaged woman I saw sitting on the steps crying with their shoes in their hand after each show.
Most seemed to enjoy it but it was certainly the reserve of drunk ladies.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Me neither until I listened to an expert on the subject apparently it’s true. People might not particularly have an interest in ABBA yet they will mentality know money money money due to repetition radio play etc.
I

I think the point I was making was that their success had been built before those 2 songs with the 3 word hook were released, it wasn't those songs that they built their success around.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A new virtual music production at a specially created venue in London. A 1979 concert in 2022 digitally created. ABBA are about to become their own tribute band. Must be costing millions, but having looked at the ticket sales already it seems like everyone over 50 is going...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20210910-185146_Chrome.jpg

First time dipping into thread, I must say first impressions are they look like a couple of glamorous grandparents :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I hated Mama Mia.

I thought I was the only person in the world who hated Mamma Mia. When I saw the film I thought it was the most pointless, vacuous waste of cinematic time I had ever come across.

I have nothing particularly against the music. I was a student in the early 1970s when they first appeared so they weren’t the coolest, but one has to admit they did what they did very well, but………..

But I don’t have any problem with them having another go. If it makes people happy, then fair enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here