Aaron Mooy

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He appeared to be our number one target when it came to Central Midfield.
Therefore £8m [+ £2m add on] which is what Huddersfield have agreed is well within budget for your Number One Target.
Agent has made the agreed price public knowledge to out all the other parties.
More than happy to get him in when you consider Fulham turned down a bid of £20m for Tom Cairney in January from Newcastle.
Bet he wasn't our number one target in midfield.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Exactly.

You can only trust SSN, Times, Telegraph, Guardian, Independent and BBC.

No. No, you can't. Take it from someone who has worked in sports journalism, and for two of the above papers. Hardly anyone knows anything. Very, very occasionally, someone will get a tip from an agent that actually turns out to be accurate, but most of the time the agents are just trying to get clubs interested or persuade the players they represent that they're actually doing something to earn their 15 percent.

And as for the idea that the quality papers get more right than the tabloids, I'd be interested to see some proof. Example: one single writer said that Nigel Adkins was going to be sacked as Stains manager and replaced by Pochettino, and he endured days of grief from before being proved right. Not either of the Stains fans who edited or worked for the Torygraph sports pages, but John Cross of the Mirror. And yet he got the Stockdale to Chelsea story dead wrong like everyone else.

SSN are notorious within the industry for getting all their transfer rumours from that morning's tabloids. As for the sad remains of the once-proud Independent, its sports editor is a 25-year-old who's interested mainly in Spanish football and whose football correspondent wrote that ridiculous story 18 months ago that Albion were 'furious' that Louis Van Gaal had 'revealed' that he could recall James Wilson whenever he wanted - something that was known from when the loan was announced.

Just take any transfer story with several large pinches of salt. We're looking at lots of players and just because someone has seen 'Brighton and Hove Albion FC' on a list of complimentary tickets for a game, it doesn't mean we're signing anyone playing in that match.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly this. Two recent examples being Stockdale to Chelsea and Terry to us.

I for one would be delighted if the Terry rumour turns out to be complete horseshit. I don't want that self-absorbed, arrogant twunt at my club. Let him go to Birmingham, where he and Redknapp can massage each other's substantial egos to their hearts' content, and the old shyster can speak chirpily of another "miracle" in the making.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I for one would be delighted if the Terry rumour turns out to be complete horseshit. I don't want that self-absorbed, arrogant twunt at my club. Let him go to Birmingham, where he and Redknapp can massage each other's substantial egos to their hearts' content, and the old shyster can speak chirpily of another "miracle" in the making.

I refer the honourable lady to Paul Barber's comments elsewhere. 'Horseshit' is being kind.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I refer the honourable lady to Paul Barber's comments elsewhere. 'Horseshit' is being kind.

I've not seen these comments. Where would I find them please?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

One of the finest paragraphs that I have ever read.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
According to today's Argus we are still in the running to sign Mooy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports