Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aaron Mooy

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
As others have said, I am not too worried about this. It's a lot of money for a player who has no Premier League experience. Huddersfield had to match what City wanted as he is so vital for how they play under Wagner. Stephens is the equivalent for us and that is why it was so vital for us to sign him up on that long term contract.

I am confident we can get better value for the one remaining midfielder we want. You only have to look at Pascal Gross to see there is value overseas. More top flight experience than Mooy and much cheaper!

Nailed it.
We will be looking abroad for the majority of our signings. A player like Groß had he come from the PL would be a 10-15 million pound player.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
As others have said, I am not too worried about this. It's a lot of money for a player who has no Premier League experience. Huddersfield had to match what City wanted as he is so vital for how they play under Wagner. Stephens is the equivalent for us and that is why it was so vital for us to sign him up on that long term contract.

I am confident we can get better value for the one remaining midfielder we want. You only have to look at Pascal Gross to see there is value overseas. More top flight experience than Mooy and much cheaper!
So put Stephens in that Moy scenario. Would you pay £10m for Stephens?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
When did former Player of the Season Kayal suddenly become shitehouse?

Exactly. It seems to have been decided by some on here so it has become a fact. Kayal was not fully fit after September but still played his part in the second half of the season. I am confident after a good pre season that he will play a big part in the squad next season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think we need 6 central midfielders in the 25 but will probably settle for 5.

Gross, Stephens, Kayal and Sidwell should be good enough, but we need 1 more who is better than them all ( along with a 6th choice, maybe under 21 ).

To be brutally honest, none of us know whether or not they are going to be good enough, three of them have never played Premier League football before, and even Sidwell hasn't experienced it for over two years.

Hot only is the Premier League a step up in terms of class, but it is also a different type of football, so much faster, both in action, and speed of thought. It really is a step into the unknown for the vast majority of the squad.

Get August and September out of the way, and then we will have some idea.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Was there ever any evidence we were actually interested in Mooy apart from a dodgy Sun rumour? I never thought he was our type of singing, overpriced, unproven, and very much on other clubs radar.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Mooys agent has denied deal is complete....also says that Brighton and others all interested.... Mooy us preparing for Confed cup etc.... still plenty to come I think...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Exactly, a good full pre-season and hes good to go, a fine fine player, better suited to Premier League football too in my opinion.

This 100%

Barton was playing Premier League football last season and we all saw Kayal play him off the pitch (whilst Joey was trying to stamp him into it). There'll be a good few other midfielders whom will find themselves in Kayal's pocket next season too.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Was there ever any evidence we were actually interested in Mooy apart from a dodgy Sun rumour? I never thought he was our type of singing, overpriced, unproven, and very much on other clubs radar.

Lots of sources said we are / were interested.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
He appeared to be our number one target when it came to Central Midfield.
Therefore £8m [+ £2m add on] which is what Huddersfield have agreed is well within budget for your Number One Target.
Agent has made the agreed price public knowledge to out all the other parties.
More than happy to get him in when you consider Fulham turned down a bid of £20m for Tom Cairney in January from Newcastle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here