[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surprised the sensitive one is being negative to one of our own, but I agree. Has he scored this season? Time to get rid, he's awful

He's scored 2 in 16 appearances in the PL. Jahanbakhsh has scored 0 in 20. Neither of them played the full 90 minutes very often, but I don't have the figures for their minutes on the pitch.

He does need to go out on loan though - not because he's shit, but because he's a good young player who needs to get experience (and find his goal-scoring mojo again) and game time in 'grown up' football. Championship, League 1 or SPL - the level is less important than the experience.

Because of that explosive start he made against Spurs, it's easy to forget that he's had far less senior football game time than Sanchez and White had when they came into the team. Molumby and Clarke have had much more league football game time than Connolly, and Ostigard, Alzate, Longman and Richards have also had at least as much as he has. Another season sitting largely unused on the bench is the worst possible option for both him and us.
I'm looking forward to seeing him out on loan, ripping holes in tier 2 or 3 defences.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just not good enough. No way will a championship club take him on loan . Hope I am wrong but think he will struggle in Div 1/2, I do remember Robinson and thought he was a far better player .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I just don't rate him. Age isn't always an excuse - either you've got it or you haven't, and I don't see enough from him to give me a notion that he could be a useful PL striker. He's had enough chances now.

His endless urgency to go down is tiresome and embarrassing, and belies the fact he doesn't have the talent to stay on his feet and do something.

He's like a shit CMS, and thats saying something. Championship striker AT BEST, and will likely end up a journeyman around the lower leagues. He's nowhere near being a PL striker, and we certainly shouldn't be affording him a squad place next season.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, in which case you can all bounce this post to kingdom come. But you know I'm right.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In fairness how much has he improved under GP in 2 years? Answer is he has gone backwards and is not the standard required for a PL side with ambitions of breaking into top half.

No one outside the club know how much or little he has improved over the last two years.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No one outside the club know how much or little he has improved over the last two years.

What utter TOSH. We've all watched him. I've seen every minute of him in the last 15 months.

He's not improved one iota. No composure in front of goal, little intelligence in his movement, always looking for the foul. His 2 goal burst v Spurs on his full debut in October 2019 was a freak, a false dawn. He dined off that all season, and has done f-all this season.

He's been afforded game time, and patience. Eventually, you just have to say "he's not very good".

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just not up to premier league standard. First foray into the box today and he tried to pull off his now trademarked ' ooh ref I've been bundled over ' dive. You have to wonder if he's more focussed on planning his next haircut than improving his game! :(

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure Aaron can be accused of playing badly today, Dont think any "pass", went anywhere near him !

When it did, he was almost on the deck before it arrived. It was a miserable performance.

Just not up to premier league standard. First foray into the box today and he tried to pull off his now trademarked ' ooh ref I've been bundled over ' dive. You have to wonder if he's more focussed on planning his next haircut than improving his game! :(

Interestingly (or not) Connolly & I have the same barber .... though my hair is grey! ... & not ‘stylish’

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I suppose when push comes to shove you have to ask: Can he score goals regularly? (No) Does he bring anything different to the team? (No) would we miss him if we loaned him or sold him? (No)
Therefore a new approach somewhere else needs to be applied because as things stand I honestly cant see what the point is....and from reading this thread I am certainly not alone.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
He needs regular game time and reestablish his PL2 form. He also needs to toughen up a bit and stop playing the celebrity and concentrate on his football.

A season at Hibs deals with all 3 issues .

Still has the chance to be a decent player, hope he knuckles down and takes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
He needs regular game time and reestablish his PL2 form. He also needs to toughen up a bit and stop playing the celebrity and concentrate on his football.

A season at Hibs deals with all 3 issues .

Still has the chance to be a decent player, hope he knuckles down and takes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just thinking I wonder what Hibs thought of their new striker's performance today...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Showed no sign of being PL quality this season. One trick pony in front of goal (cut in, shoot into the far corner) and even royally ****ed that up today. More interested in falling over than doing something with the ball (couple of times today he got the ball and a slight nudge, and immediately went flat on his face.....Maupay would have stayed upright and held on to the ball). The brownie points from the Spurs game have long since dried up. More time on the training ground and less time at the hairdressers needed...plus a loan out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports