Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh it is, there are only two decent teams and one of them is utter tosh at the moment, most of the Scottish Premier league teams would struggle in league one, never mind the championship.

Generally, whenever the tired old topic of 'Should Rangers and Celtic be allowed in the PL' the cry goes up that they're only Championship standard. That's about right - Rangers top half at the moment, Celtic near the bottom, and Hibs not far behind Celtic - bottom of Championship top of League 1 level. Fine for Connolly - he'd get to wear a nice green shirt too!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His dress sense is of the dickhead variety :lolol:

Sadly I don’t think he is good enough at the moment. A loan sounds like a good idea but didn’t he turn down the opportunity this season to fight for his place?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Indeed he did, and how has that worked out for him and the club ?

Time to cash in

Calm down, he's home grown but crucially he's home grown by us which ticks a lot of boxes in the PL selection rules. He also is showing promise. He came from playing U23 football to playing Premier League football, the best division in the world, with no steps inbetween.

Back in the day, Kevin McGarrigle was a "prospect". Think about that.

While I agree that right now he isn't ready to lead the line in the PL, it would make zero sense to sell unless the player wanted out.

I predict we'll sign a striker, keep everything we have, and he'll go out for a season in the Championship to the right club, wages covered and maybe even with a fee involved.

After that, we'll be in a better position to assess.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Calm down, he's home grown but crucially he's home grown by us which ticks a lot of boxes in the PL selection rules. He also is showing promise. He came from playing U23 football to playing Premier League football, the best division in the world, with no steps inbetween.

While I agree that right now he isn't ready to lead the line in the PL, it would make zero sense to sell unless the player wanted out.

I predict we'll sign a striker, keep everything we have, and he'll go out for a season in the Championship to the right club, wages covered and maybe even with a fee involved.

Agree with that too. Connolly is still only 21. Think he will still qualify for the squad as an U23.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

That makes far too much sense, I am having none of it, get him out...
:)

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London

Very well put. We can all agree he needs some time to develop but selling him at this point would be stupid. Just think about how much Ben Whites value shot up after a good year in the championship at a similar age.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Very well put. We can all agree he needs some time to develop but selling him at this point would be stupid. Just think about how much Ben Whites value shot up after a good year in the championship at a similar age.

Really good point, White is nearly 3 years older than Connolly, so was at Leeds at the age Connolly will be going into next season. Easy to forget he's still a wee baby given he broke into the first team 2 years ago now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Could send him for a loan to Hibs with the new 'strategic relationship'

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
His dress sense is of the dickhead variety :lolol:

Sadly I don’t think he is good enough at the moment. A loan sounds like a good idea but didn’t he turn down the opportunity this season to fight for his place?
I think he was meant to be out on loan two years ago, when Potter joined, but he persuaded Potter/the club to let him stay - then he played against Spurs and the rest is history.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think he was meant to be out on loan two years ago, when Potter joined, but he persuaded Potter/the club to let him stay - then he played against Spurs and the rest is history.

GP sent Locadia and Andone because "we wanted to make a pathway for Connolly" so I dont really think it was all that spontaneus.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I very much doubt if it was spontaneous at all. Connolly persuaded somebody to change their mind, that's all.

Yup, I guess he backed himself and had it worked out he'd be a 21 year old PL striker with 10+ goals for the season and the world at his feet. As it turns out, the older heads probably knew better and he is now 12 months behind in his development and potentially looking at a loan further down the pyramid. But at 21 he has loads of time to hone his craft and make a second attempt at becoming an established PL player after a season in a lesser league.

Some of it will be down to aptitude but he has undoubted talent so whether he makes it (or not) will mostly be down to attitude.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yup, I guess he backed himself and had it worked out he'd be a 21 year old PL striker with 10+ goals for the season and the world at his feet. As it turns out, the older heads probably knew better and he is now 12 months behind in his development and potentially looking at a loan further down the pyramid. But at 21 he has loads of time to hone his craft and make a second attempt at becoming an established PL player after a season in a lesser league.

Some of it will be down to aptitude but he has undoubted talent so whether he makes it (or not) will mostly be down to attitude.
I get the feeling (based on not very much, to be fair) that he still rates himself pretty highly. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall for that conversation when he is told he's going to spend a year at Coventry/Derby/Hibs/Newport or wherever.
Think it needs to be done though - so hope he really knuckles down to it and comes back to us raring to go with his goal scoring mojo back in 2022.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Potter gave the lad a chance today but I don’t really think he took it.

It’s so tough in this league but I really think he needs 1 step back to take 2 steps forward.

Toney & Armstrong were shipped out by Newcastle but are now being quoted at £15m+ each. Time for Aaron refine his game at a lower level and come back stronger and wiser.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I wish he'd stay on his feet more. Seems to go down all the time looking for fouls when he'd be better just holding the ball up. Definitely needs to add a bit of intelligence to his game. Loan next season, I think.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Dont want to make Aaron a scapegoat in the team but its clear the Prem is currently too much for him. He needs a season in the Championship to gain some confidence and learn his craft.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Two dives and a good opportunity missed. As much as I’d like him to do well just don’t think he’s good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

D

Deleted member 2719

Potter gave the lad a chance today but I don’t really think he took it.

It’s so tough in this league but I really think he needs 1 step back to take 2 steps forward.

Toney & Armstrong were shipped out by Newcastle but are now being quoted at £15m+ each. Time for Aaron refine his game at a lower level and come back stronger and wiser.

Yep, I only saw the last 30 mins, I was so disappointed with all he did and did not do in that 30 min spell. He needed to look hungary for football today, instead, he looked well fed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here