Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Very Real Problem: Lack of Sports Facilities in Brighton & Hove

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The good thing about ice rinks is that they lend themselves to being built underground so this is always an option.
Swimming pools too I imagine. Is there a problem with building underground right next to the sea though? Unnecessary amount of water to hold back.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Swimming pools too I imagine. Is there a problem with building underground right next to the sea though? Unnecessary amount of water to hold back.

If there was an ice rink and pool complex probably the best place would be at the KA, however if it were just an ice rink I was thinking underground nearer Falmer. Not sure if a pool would be feasible underground because it would have to be much deeper.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If there was an ice rink and pool complex probably the best place would be at the KA, however if it were just an ice rink I was thinking underground nearer Falmer. Not sure if a pool would be feasible underground because it would have to be much deeper.
Well it doesn't have to go deep - it could be part underground, part over.

I imagine there'd be a lot of support in the city for a good leisure centre and ice rink.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well it doesn't have to go deep - it could be part underground, part over.

This is true.

I imagine there'd be a lot of support in the city for a good leisure centre and ice rink.

Yep there would be but it's whether the general public have the will to make it a primary concern. There seems to be a lot of apathy.

Even on here we get hundreds of posters saying what Bloom, Burke and Barber should or shouldn't do, but when it comes to making an effort on a different sporting project they all wind their necks in.

The first part of the debate is possible locations which we are short of in the city.

My opinion is that there are only two suitable locations and they are the King Alfred or Falmer (Bennets Field). Although Preston Barracks could be good the council have other plans for the site and the same can be said for the King Alfred.

Are there any other location suggestions from anyone?

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
This is true.

Yep there would be but it's whether the general public have the will to make it a primary concern. There seems to be a lot of apathy.

Even on here we get hundreds of posters saying what Bloom, Burke and Barber should or shouldn't do, but when it comes to making an effort on a different sporting project they all wind their necks in.

The first part of the debate is possible locations which we are short of in the city.

My opinion is that there are only two suitable locations and they are the King Alfred or Falmer (Bennets Field). Although Preston Barracks could be good the council have other plans for the site and the same can be said for the King Alfred.

Black rock - unless there are plans here as part of the Marina regeneration/extension
Toads Hall valley - Sure I read somewehre that there was being a large housing estate being built there. Can the council make the developers there pay part of the cost of the leisure centre. Would also beneifit from good access to A27/23 such to bring in people from outside the Brighton/Hove conurbation.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
This is true.

Side question - What are the plans for Preston Barracks? Have seen the sign outside the front saying it has been aquired for redevelopment however that has been up for at least 10/15 years.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Side question - What are the plans for Preston Barracks? Have seen the sign outside the front saying it has been aquired for redevelopment however that has been up for at least 10/15 years.

I remember seeing something about it being part of a redevelopment of the Brighton Uni buildings, its probably been scrapped.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I know plans for housing and shopping area was agreed to happen there five years ago or so but it fell through for some reason.

Here are some links to some info, I haven't yet read it myself recently but will later. Have a look at the Planning Brief and SPG links on the page below.

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/con...lopments/preston-barracks-regeneration-scheme

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Toads Hall valley - Sure I read somewehre that there was being a large housing estate being built there. Can the council make the developers there pay part of the cost of the leisure centre. Would also beneifit from good access to A27/23 such to bring in people from outside the Brighton/Hove conurbation.

Toads Hole Valley? The owners have been trying to get planning permission for something/anything there for years, if you read something somewhere it was probably something from them.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Black rock - unless there are plans here as part of the Marina regeneration/extension

Ideally projects like this are only built where they are within a 10 minute walking distance from a station, but the Marina and Toad Hall are valid suggestions regarding space rquired.
Waterhall could also be included in this.

Hove Station is earmarked for redevelopment and the land owner has recently failed with a proposal for a non sporting development, so there are no current plans there.

The list so far.

King Alfred
Falmer
Hove Station
Preston Barracks
Marina
Toad Hall
Waterhall

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Toad Hall plans:

toad hall.jpg

http://www.toadsholevalley.co.uk

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Ideally projects like this are only built where they are within a 10 minute walking distance from a station, but the Marina and Toad Hall are valid suggestions regarding space rquired.
Waterhall could also be included in this.

Hove Station is earmarked for redevelopment and the land owner has recently failed with a proposal for a non sporting development, so there are no current plans there.

The list so far.

King Alfred
Falmer
Hove Station
Preston Barracks
Marina
Toad Hall
Waterhall

Sheepcote Valley is 10mins walk from a station....... according to some of the Anti-Falmer group.

There was talk about building a hotel on the land off of Vale Avenue in patcham, but that all fell through, not sure what is happening there now.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Sheepcote Valley is 10mins walk from a station....... according to some of the Anti-Falmer group.

What was that lovely lady from the Friends of Sheepcote Valley called? She was a star performer at the Public Inquiry as I recall!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

There was talk about building a hotel on the land off of Vale Avenue in patcham, but that all fell through, not sure what is happening there now.

Sheepcote Valley is a longer walk than 10 mins from a station.

This is the Vale Close site you were talking about though. Not near a station but just off the A23.

Vale-Ave.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me obvious that the council has taken its eye seriously off the ball as regards people who actually live here. Sporting amenities such as a state of the art swimming pool or ice rink complex for local people playing second or third fiddle to some shallow attraction to make a visitor part with one or more crispy tenners. Individual councillors voting to make local residents underwrite the i360 visitor folly should be made personally responsible for its inevitable failure. In a court of law. IMHO, like.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Seems to me obvious that the council has taken its eye seriously off the ball as regards people who actually live here. Sporting amenities such as a state of the art swimming pool or ice rink complex for local people playing second or third fiddle to some shallow attraction to make a visitor part with one or more crispy tenners. Individual councillors voting to make local residents underwrite the i360 visitor folly should be made personally responsible for its inevitable failure. In a court of law. IMHO, like.

Yep there is no accountability and I don't think their eyes have ever been on the ball for them to take them off it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here