Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Very Real Problem: Lack of Sports Facilities in Brighton & Hove

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
No ice rink in the whole of Sussex is a joke,the Spectrum in Guildford is always very busy and not cheap.I am sure they would soon claw back the money outlayed.
Also you only have to look at how popular the temporary Ice rinks in brighton and Worthing are around Christmas to know how busy it would be.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't imagine many people in the city really care about the i360. I like the idea of having something new like that, but not at the expense of something else we need. I'm sure a lot of people would like a quality leisure centre, and I'm sure a lot would also like a decent ice rink. It's difficult to understand why that's not happening.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I am sure that the role played has more power than what meets the eye.

Instead of guessing, why don't you look it up?

His name is Ian Shurrock. He is responsible for the health and safety issues, implementing policy and so on within what the C, R & T department decide is appropriate for outdoor event the city. He reports to Paula Murray who is head of Culture, Recreation & Tourism.

He isn't in the Planning department.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Instead of guessing, why don't you look it up?

His name is Ian Shurrock. He is responsible for the health and safety issues, implementing policy and so on within what the C, R & T department decide is appropriate for outdoor event the city. He reports to Paula Murray who is head of Culture, Recreation & Tourism.

He isn't in the Planning department.

I'm curious to know if you know people in the council or have good experience of them in some shape or form?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
If our Council are having a bad time they have a saver,start a rumour that a Ice skating rink is being considered,its been planned for the Black Rock site,the Marina and the land next to the King Alfred, not one of these projects got anywhere near a start.
We already have the i which gives a good view,the thought that this tower will bring in a huge increase of visitors is pure fantasy,how long will this ride last and at what cost.A leisure centre with Ice Rink/Basket ball arena would make a real difference but that fact insures it will never get the backing it deserves

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm curious to know if you know people in the council or have good experience of them in some shape or form?

Are you? Oh, OK.

You've made it clear you're quite passionate about there being a 'Sports Champion', without really defining what it is or how it works.

Why not write to the Chief Executive at the city council? I'm sure she'd appreciate your input.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If our Council are having a bad time they have a saver,start a rumour that a Ice skating rink is being considered,its been planned for the Black Rock site,the Marina and the land next to the King Alfred, not one of these projects got anywhere near a start.
We already have the i which gives a good view,the thought that this tower will bring in a huge increase of visitors is pure fantasy,how long will this ride last and at what cost.A leisure centre with Ice Rink/Basket ball arena would make a real difference but that fact insures it will never get the backing it deserves

This one here http://kingalfredicerink.co.uk/

The temporary five year enclosed ice rink at the King Alfred wasn't a council initiative, from what I can make out they didn't want to consider a full proposal.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Actually, Shoreham Cement Works aren't anything to do with Adur District Council, and certainly not Brighton & Hove City Council.

The planning authorities are Horsham District Council and the South Downs National Park Authority.

Correct.

That's why Beeding cement works would never have got permission for our ground, despite what Bengrandad says. HDC would NEVER have given permission.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You appear to believe a person who is respsonsible for implementing council health & safety policy on outdoor events is part of a committee involved in planning 'failures'.

You are saying that the Commissioner for Sport and Leisure has nothing whatsoever to do with sport?

I'm not even going to argue this with you as you are missing the point of the thread which is about lack of sports vision in the city. Maybe you work in the council and feel obliged to defend the way it works.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You are saying that the Commissioner for Sport and Leisure has nothing whatsoever to do with sport?

No. I'm saying he doesn't have a role that you keep saying he does have. You're inventing your own role; one that doesn't exist in the council. I've explained this several times what he does.

I'm not even going to argue this with you as you are missing the point of the thread which is about lack of sports vision in the city. Maybe you work in the council and feel obliged to defend the way it works.

I don't work for the council, and there's nothing to 'defend' in saying that there isn't a 'Champion for Sport' within the council. The role you've stated (Commissioner for Sport & Leisure) doesn't undertake a role that you're saying he does.

It really is that simple.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Neither. Put the money towards rebuilding the West Pier ... and make it fireproof so that the Noble thugs can't burn it down again.

And if the West Pier WAS rebuilt they would have to give Palace Pier it's proper name back.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Let's not be short sighted; the point of the i360 is to be a new tourist attraction for Brighton in the 21st century. A thriving tourist industry in Brighton will improve the local economy and help regenerate the seafront. And a thriving Brighton is more likely to get better local amenities. The £36 million will be a loan and will be repaid over 27 years (I seem to recall) with interest. All sounds good to me.

I see that B&H council are preparing to throw £36 million at the i360 (the tall pole with a viewing platform).

No private funding could be found for this as it doesn't stack up financially. All the estimates have been based on it being 100% full all the time which of course will not happen.

Would this public money surely not be better spent on a decent leisure centre with proper ice rink etc?

The King Alfred centre has been a disgrace for years and a city of this size needs something decent for its citizens to go to.

Look at Guildfords leisure centre http://www.guildfordspectrum.co.uk/index.php

Something along these lines would be better, or would it?

Thoughts?

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
It seems like (as I guessed there would be) there is a lot of love on here for a decent leisure centre with ice rink etc for Brighton and Hove.

It is a disgrace that the city has such outdated and miserable facilities at the moment.

Maybe it's time for a campaign?

We're good at those aren't we!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It seems like (as I guessed there would be) there is a lot of love on here for a decent leisure centre with ice rink etc for Brighton and Hove.

It is a disgrace that the city has such outdated and miserable facilities at the moment.

We're good at those aren't we!

You would have thought this would be a good place to start.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let's not be short sighted; the point of the i360 is to be a new tourist attraction for Brighton in the 21st century. A thriving tourist industry in Brighton will improve the local economy and help regenerate the seafront. And a thriving Brighton is more likely to get better local amenities. The £36 million will be a loan and will be repaid over 27 years (I seem to recall) with interest. All sounds good to me.
As long as it doesn't take any money away from more worthwhile projects, then there's no problem.

Yes it is. See posts #102 and #112.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here