Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A thread for all the seagulls looking down on us today

Jul 7, 2003
We should retire the left back position in his honour.
I think Pervis may have done that already - not sure what Brian would have made of a left back who kept popping up at centre forward in games.

Some lovely stories on here which make me all the more grateful that my parents are still around. My Mum and Dad took me to the Goldstone, first full season was 77/78 although I did go to a game before that. They live oop North these days but still follow the Albion on TV and - despite my dad being 81 and someone who makes Ben's Grandad look like an IT professional - on the odd dodgy stream.

For those who are lucky enough not to have lost anyone, make sure you give those relatives a call today to say hello and celebrate what the Albion have achieved. You never know how long you have left with them.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A great thread this. When I was watching the celebrations yesterday, I was thinking of my dad and how he'd loved to have seen it. I remember standing next to him when we drew with Rochdale to get promoted to Div2 and he was going mental. I can't imagine how he'd have reacted to us getting into Europe. When I first started going to away games, he used to drive my mates and me to games around southern England, putting up with a load of loud-mouthed teenagers. My last game I actually went with him was the semi at Highbury, so he's been gone a long, long time.

Thinking about my mum too. She wasn't a football fan but she always liked to know how the Albion were getting on as she knew if meant so much to my dad and me. She died a year ago this week and she'd have been delighted too.

Nearly all of us will have had that special person who took us to that first game: thinking of them all today

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Must admit I was a bit moist-eyed when the final whistle went yesterday - my Dad would have absolutely loved it. He took me to my first game in 1973 - we lost 2-0 at home to Chelsea in the FA Cup. We got relegated that season but it didn't matter, I was hooked. He was a lifelong fan, season ticket holder for many years, but didn't quite live long enough to see us move into the Amex. He would have really enjoyed the way we play now as I can still hear him ranting about the awful football served up by the Mike Bailey team in the early 80s which had him cancelling his season ticket (football that kept us in the top flight but made the last season of Chris Hughton look wildly entertaining)

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Dad passed just this week. A Brightonian and massive fan all of his life. Introduced me in the 60's, and I've been a fan ever since. Just wish so much he could have hung on for another week, to see us do the unimaginable. x
So sorry to hear this mate.
Loads of wonderful memories, though, that you will hold on to with fondness for the rest of your days, including Albion.
I hope the next few weeks goes ok for you 🙏
So many up there watching down on us.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Follow up to my earlier post. My Daughter Nikki passed in 2017 and she was with me on the day we acheived promotion.
Following season she was gone but I remember going to Old Trafford, standing in front of the main entrance, and thinking "Nikki, we made it, it's Old Trafford" with tears pouring down my cheeks.
Sometimes it's good to talk about it and I've found this thread very good.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Must admit I was a bit moist-eyed when the final whistle went yesterday - my Dad would have absolutely loved it. He took me to my first game in 1973 - we lost 2-0 at home to Chelsea in the FA Cup. We got relegated that season but it didn't matter, I was hooked. He was a lifelong fan, season ticket holder for many years, but didn't quite live long enough to see us move into the Amex. He would have really enjoyed the way we play now as I can still hear him ranting about the awful football served up by the Mike Bailey team in the early 80s which had him cancelling his season ticket (football that kept us in the top flight but made the last season of Chris Hughton look wildly entertaining)
Loved hearing this story and thanks for sharing. My Dad took me to that Chelsea cup game for my first match in 1973 as well.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I started this thread when we achieved the unthinkable last May, some of the replies on it are what I love about NSC, our amazing Albion and most of all us fans….

I’ve now worked for almost 4 1/2 years years less than a stones throw from where most of us started our BHA journey in deepest darkest Hove. I know there’s definitely one long serving NSC’er working on the same estate after chatting at the food van a while back 😎

Football was mine and mums, not my dads or my brothers they don’t even like football. As I drove past what was the east stand on my way home this evening I had to pull over, shed a tear or 6 and think just how chuffed mum would be today on the eve of history for us and our ever growing blue & white family.

I’ve felt mum close to me at every home game since she left us, but today she was there in that moment in the rain outside the east stand, it could have almost been 46 years ago waiting to for my first game….

Can’t wait for tomorrow just wish she was here to share it with the rest of us…..

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My grandmother (and grandfather) were big Albion fans. He died when I was very young, but I still remember my grandmother always waiting for the results on a Saturday and making the occasional game.

When we first made the first division (in old money), that first season, I took her to the Liverpool game in the South Stand with a blanket and flask. I now realise she was near to the age I am now :eek:

She has her stone at the Amex, but for her and so many others who didn't make it, thank you for the timely bounce :albion:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was going to reopen this thread but wasn't sure.
I know for sure 100% that Thursday night is going to be the best and worst night of my life. I will be an absolute mess.
Last week I lost my cousin, a guy who spent most of the 70's going both home and away with me. He had been ill for many years but I had the opportunity to see him just a few weeks ago, sadly at another funeral, where we spent an hour reminiscing the 70's. Even worse, his funeral is the 4th October, a day I'll be on the Eurostar heading south.
So for Nikki and Cuz Dave, Thursday is for you. If/when we win I'm going to get absolutely hammered.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Felt my mum with me today, she would have absolutely loved it. She was the one who got me into the Albion back in 1977.

Shed a tear for her at full time as I’m sure many others did for their loved ones on a day that will go down in Albion history
Thank you for starting a beautiful thread. Would love a minutes applause for all of those that have been on the journey but didnt make it to this remarkable destination. None of us take ownership of this wonderful club, we only share in it whilst we can.
For you and others on this thread, today will be emotional for more than just football reasons. I wish you all the best.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Can you believe this uncle, I am sure you have reserved front row seats in the auditorium in the sky, thank you so much uncle Bob Dyke, for taking me to my first Albion game, you ignited a passion that’s transcends life, forever grateful and in my thoughts, love you x

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
First season without my dad who had supported the Albion for around 80 years.
A Golstone, Prestfield, Withdean and Amex regular and an away fan when he was a bit younger. He’ll be watching down today and worrying about when it will all go wrong.... he was a worrier.
Had a cardiac arrest outside the Amex in November 2011 and was zapped back to life with a defibrillator. Had another 11.5 years of life thereafter.
Enjoy the game Dad.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
For my dad who first took me to the Goldstone in 1952 and died 50 years ago. To my mum, a season ticket holder in the West Stand (Goldstone) who died in 2006. For my wife's parents who both followed the Albion by train all around the country and died back in the 1980's. It will be such an emotional game for us all thinking back to lost loved ones. But wouldn't they all have loved it!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I lost my brother 11 yrs ago this November and he loved the Albion. Paralyzed in a Motocross accident in '92, he spent the best part of 20 yrs in a wheelchair, but some of my best memories of him in those tough days after his accident are the match days when he came down from Hertfordshire, had lunch with the family, & then we all trooped along Carden Avenue, up under the tunnel, him leading the way to Withdean with a flag out the back of his wheelchair.

Luckily he managed to get to the Amex a couple of times too. The first was the drubbing of Blackpool on a glorious Saturday afternoon, and the other was a night game when we beat? Liverpool (I want to say 3-2? correct me if Im wrong). I just remember looking over to where he was sat in front of the North Stand, & seeing him swinging his scarf around his head like a madman after a goal. It was the happiest I had seen him for ages with all his health problems - we lost him not long after that.

Tonight, my wife and son will be at the game, and will no doubt visit his name plaque, and where his ashes are buried, in the memorial garden before KO.

Look how far weve come Robbie x

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here