Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] A Question of Sport

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Anyone could see this coming when the BBC changed the format and got rid of its big names and chemistry in Sue, Matt and Tuffers.

Attempting to appeal to a new audience, it moved too far away from its core viewership, alienated them and lost them for good.

With falling numbers, one might think that the unfocused Football Focus is in danger of going the same way.

When celebrity is either mistaken for talent or prized over it, quality suffers.

Not all change is good.
This.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There are some things that are just wrong and can't be watched as a result:

News at Ten on ITV without Trevor McDonald.
Question Time without David Dimbleby.
A Question of Sport without David Coleman.

How 'A Question of Sport' lasted over 25 years without David Coleman is frankly beyond me. That said, if Olympic Weightlifting could survive the passing of David Vine, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the Mrs Brown of quiz shows, desperatly trying too hard and never understood who watches to keep it on the schedule.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Question of sport should have been axed 20 years ago when it became boring and just as pointless as pointless, football focus 15 minutes on a woman footballer learning to play the piano should be thrown in the bin immediately for just that article, match of the day 5 mins of highlights 15 mins of drooling tactical analysis, death in Paradise just a feeble excuse go to film on Caribbean island, Mrs browns boys just an excuse to annoy anybody that has forgotten to switch over, maybe it would be easier to just throw the whole bbc in the bin and put their vast array of Victorian costumes on display in one of their lavish stately homes which they are so fond of filming in

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Question of sport should have been axed 20 years ago when it became boring and just as pointless as pointless, football focus 15 minutes on a woman footballer learning to play the piano should be thrown in the bin immediately for just that article, match of the day 5 mins of highlights 15 mins of drooling tactical analysis, death in Paradise just a feeble excuse go to film on Caribbean island, Mrs browns boys just an excuse to annoy anybody that has forgotten to switch over, maybe it would be easier to just throw the whole bbc in the bin and put their vast array of Victorian costumes on display in one of their lavish stately homes which they are so fond of filming in
The BBC does have a problem, partly of its own making and partly due to the rise of Netflix etc.

News aside, I don't think I've watched anything properly on the channel for years, I do however listen to their radio stations a lot.

Feel like they need to take a step back and assess what they do well.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Shame for the lovely Sam Quek but you’ve got to wonder what show the BBC are going to give Paddy “Kiss of Death” McGuinness to destroy next. First Top Gear, now Question of Sport, just pray he’s not going to be the permanent replacement for Richard Osman on Pointless.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Shame for the lovely Sam Quek but you’ve got to wonder what show the BBC are going to give Paddy “Kiss of Death” McGuinness to destroy next. First Top Gear, now Question of Sport, just pray he’s not going to be the permanent replacement for Richard Osman on Pointless.
Would it be possible for him to appear on Mrs Brown's Boys?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Another bizarre BBC decision to "update" it in the first place. Most of the new BBC Verified daytime presenters are bloody useless too. The old guard must have done spectacularly badly in their screen tests to be beaten by this lot.

autopsyturvey

Feb 24, 2018
Anyone could see this coming when the BBC changed the format and got rid of its big names and chemistry in Sue, Matt and Tuffers.

Attempting to appeal to a new audience, it moved too far away from its core viewership, alienated them and lost them for good.

With falling numbers, one might think that the unfocused Football Focus is in danger of going the same way.

When celebrity is either mistaken for talent or prized over it, quality suffers.

Not all change is good.

I think it had to change, QoS's regular captains and presenter line up, and it's audience was too white and too old.

I think the problem they ran into was that, yes they needed more diversity in the regular line-up (and that is a good reason to make changes) but the line up was SO GOOD they couldn't bring themselves to break it up. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they not replace the regulars one-by-one in the past?) I think the chemistry was so good with Sue, Matt and Tuffnel it would have been weird to take out any one of them. Therefore, total reboot (which, imo, was shit, albeit I only watched for about 10 minutes)

taz

Feb 18, 2015
The BBC does have a problem, partly of its own making and partly due to the rise of Netflix etc.

News aside, I don't think I've watched anything properly on the channel for years, I do however listen to their radio stations a lot.

Feel like they need to take a step back and assess what they do well.
Even bbc news is ridiculously over political you could have 300 dead in an inferno on the runway of Bristol airport but the bbc would still lead on what kier starmer said on visit to a factory in Chesterfield

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Even bbc news is ridiculously over political you could have 300 dead in an inferno on the runway of Bristol airport but the bbc would still lead on what kier starmer said on visit to a factory in Chesterfield

or a Harry and Megan story about trying to stay out of the limelight whilst demanding they remain in the limelight...

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
or a Harry and Megan story about trying to stay out of the limelight whilst demanding they remain in the limelight...
"The sun rose in the west over the Pacific. Inside the Sussexes' idyll in Montecito, the Sussexes were leading an idyllic life. Meghan was spending time with the children, reading them nursery rhymes rewritten for the modern generation before going off to do pilates. The rest of the day she spent perfecting her image and complaining to the media that no one was breaking her self-imposed media blackout. In the meantime, Harry was doing his daily two hours of unconscious bias training."

- Omid Scobie's Endgame, digested by John Crace

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/dec/04/omid-scobie-endgame-digested-read-john-crace

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I won't miss it at all, its had its day and the quality had been drying up for years....just wondering if Paddy McGuiness could do the hat trick and get Take Me Out " cancelled too ?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I’m sure re Pointless the Beeb would consider Phil Schofield before Paddy M 🙈

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Beaumont v Carson/Crazy Horse /Beefy.

Thems were the days.
I think it went downhill when Carson became a team captain. Tuffers also filled the idiot role well too...

I dislike Dawson outside of when he played at 9 for England.

God, I'm old and grumpy today!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here