A Norwich steward sunk to a new "world" stupidity level today

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Outstanding Partridgesque moment, any pictures? However in the interests of balance are you sure the steward was not having a Bolt moment?

Could have been. One thought did occur to me at the time though. With the apparent sheer number of deodorants coming into the Amex - how do they ensure the correct deodorant is returned ?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Some people make jugment calls which may see stupid at the time, but their income depends on it. Perhaps she wqs briefed that people were smuggling in flares/weapons/alcohol and she should be extra vigilant.

It might seem daft on the outside, but would you be willing to trust someone you had never met?

I did Olga from Moscow, not sure when she arrives, but the £5K i sent her should enable her to book a flight, its strange not heard much from her lately.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Why should I know Brighton Fella to be able to post about his posts ? The implication in your post ( and his ) is that he's an 'ard nut a proper nawty and was involved in the violence of yester year. If that's the case then he's an even bigger pri*k than he seems on here.

Nobody has yet managed to explain what was so wrong about this search and how it's broken someones 'liberties' ?

Would never happen back in the day, the country has gone to the dogs etc etc.

I've been searched before going into comedy gigs, music gigs...never bothered me and it wouldn't bother me if the same happened at a football match. I don't (often) take stuffed toys with me but if I did, i'd expect that to be searched too.

It's a non-event.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It really isn't the point though is it? It's all about treating people with respect and exercising common sense. Would you see the same practice at a cricket match?

This is what i hate about modern day football and stewarding.

Yes, you would. Your bags get searched when you go to a big cricket match, and they don't exempt teddy bears.

And as for the OP, he isn't concerned about respect. He'd hardly have told the steward how stupid he thought she was, if he was bothered about people being respected, would he?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Back in the 70s / 80s, everybody was searched going into NS at the Goldstone (I remember the queue for the female police officer was always the longest!). That certainly ensured that there was never any trouble in or around the ground...oh.....hang on........

Searches then were as pointless as they are now........except the game is all nice and cosy now and there's never any trouble.

Every game I go to at Falmer my bag gets searched, but I never am. Don't suicide bombers usually attach the explosive to themselves?

It all seems so pointless.

Apart from the idiocy of the stewards in claiming that a can of Lynx is going to be fashioned into a flame thrower, how many "bottles, spanners, carving knives an' 'ammers" have the stewards actually confiscated since the Amex opened? You see where I'm going with this?

It's the power of that fluorescent jacket!

BTW, few years back at St Mary's I had a bottle of water. I was allowed to keep the bottle and the water but the lid was confiscated.........by a female steward with red hair. Are they by any chance related? I think we should be told.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
Having picked up my ticket in the away end, I inadvertently walked into the home stand (past two stewards and an automated gate) carrying a bag I had forgotten contained deodrant, 2 glass bottles and a metal rod as I had been at work. Not one person stopped to check my ticket, or search my bag and then refused to believe me when I pointed out I was in the wrong end.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Has a terrorist, which is what you could have been dressed as a football fan, never used a child or childs toy to smuggle a bomb or similar into somewhere? Provided the search was polite and dignified I see no cause for complaint. Sooner that than some prat set a bomb off in the stadium.

Quick reality check ... I wasn't searched like this boarding a tube shortly after the 7/7 attack. It's not about anti-terrorism at Carrow Road, it's about football fans honestly being treated like we have no right to basic manners. We get charged like we are going to the Opera, and treated like we're entering a dark and dingy backstreet nightclub.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
All this reminds me of entering the North Stand at the Goldstone in 1986 and being frisked by a policeman who also asked me to explain the meaning of two lapel badges as he searched in vain for something to confiscate on grounds of being offensive or provocative. The first badge I explained was Sussex County Cricket Club, and the second was the Society of Sussex Downsmen (now the South Downs Society), so in the end he just confiscated my mate's telescopic umbrella. Give 'em a bit of power........

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Every game I go to at Falmer my bag gets searched, but I never am.

This is what gets me about searches, they are so random, and frankly RUBBISH. The other week, I was at Wembley and my bag was duly searched on the way in.

As I opened it up, I said "Oh, I got a can of drink in here, I guess you'll have to have that."

"No sir, give it here, and I will just pour it into a plastic glass."

"Oh excellent, thanks."

And that was it. All very polite, BUT, as far as a search goes, it had completely thrown him, and as I walked away with my bag over my shoulder and drink in hand I realised he hadn't checked my bag at all. The can of Coke was enough to make him forget about the need to dig through the bag at all.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Yup. Reminds me of Yeovil away last year. Was amazed to watch the stewards search the queue of punters, patting them down all over with considerable verve (and in some cases a little too much enthusiasm) yet full bags being held whilst arms were out horizontal were totally ignored.

Great idea.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is what gets me about searches, they are so random, and frankly RUBBISH. The other week, I was at Wembley and my bag was duly searched on the way in.

As I opened it up, I said "Oh, I got a can of drink in here, I guess you'll have to have that."

"No sir, give it here, and I will just pour it into a plastic glass."

"Oh excellent, thanks."

And that was it. All very polite, BUT, as far as a search goes, it had completely thrown him, and as I walked away with my bag over my shoulder and drink in hand I realised he hadn't checked my bag at all. The can of Coke was enough to make him forget about the need to dig through the bag at all.

Strictly speaking they aren't allowed to dig in your bag. They can open it, peer inside, feel it, and ask you to empty it, but not put their hands inside to rummage. They could be putting something in (if they chose to).

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I am slightly lost about this thread. Seems to me that at events such as football,concerts and other sporting events you are likely to get a steward/security asking to search you or your bag or have a close look at what you may have in your hand. I do not think its about anything else but random checks for items such as flares/alcohol etc, it's not a huge problem at games and I suspect the searches let people know that it's a risk taking such items in. It's proactive management, no doubt the stewards are trained and are expected to carry out such checks and they are probably watched and checked to ensure that they are doing the job. It only takes a few seconds and I find them on the whole polite and they are only doing their job, maybe if people find in offensive, they are perfectly free not to enter the venue, but why moan about it. I would think that all venues that have large crowds have to be licensed in some way and that would include a security policy to insure the safety of everyone.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Strictly speaking they aren't allowed to dig in your bag. They can open it, peer inside, feel it, and ask you to empty it, but not put their hands inside to rummage. They could be putting something in (if they chose to).

To be fair, he didn't touch anything, and when I went again a couple of weeks later and the search was thorough, it was via instruction with the steward asking me where to rummage and what to pull out.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I had my bicycle clips confiscated by a copper at Dean Court in the 70's. (I had just finished my paper round and went straight to the coach) he said they could be straightened and used as a dagger.......honest.
Anyway what happened to bycycle clips ?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You have to be a proper billy no mates to become a steward

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
And that happened with Brighton when exactly? And what evidence is there to substantiate these rumours?

If you went to Peterborough away a few seasons back you will know what happened when a distress flare was let off in the stand , acrid choking orange and grey smoke everywhere until someone chucked it on the pitch which Ankergren picked up and handed to a steward. OB (in Lincolnshire) have intel on kids with pyrotechnics at Grimsby Town away games , Grimsby and Altrincham have to lodge reports with the FA by tomorrow.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If you went to Peterborough away a few seasons back you will know what happened when a distress flare was let off in the stand , acrid choking orange and grey smoke everywhere until someone chucked it on the pitch which Ankergren picked up and handed to a steward. OB (in Lincolnshire) have intel on kids with pyrotechnics at Grimsby Town away games , Grimsby and Altrincham have to lodge reports with the FA by tomorrow.
A few seasons back? So have stewards at every Albion away game since been checking teddies for flares?

Kids with pyrotechnics you say? Any idea how old these children are?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A few seasons back? So have stewards at every Albion away game since been checking teddies for flares?

Kids with pyrotechnics you say? Any idea how old these children are?

Stewards at all league levels , especially at this time of the year will be briefed on searching for smoke-bombs , flares and fireworks in addition to everything else that is on the banned list. Stewards at Albion away games won't be specifically checking for bangers secreted within a teddy bear but searching for anything that isn't permitted to be taken inside according to ground regulations. The Grimsby youngsters are in the main 12 to 16 who tag along with CBP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports