Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A huge job with huge risks.......

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Is a big risk: I just can't imagine Chelsea (and their fans) taking the approach that arsenal have done and giving him time and leeway to create his own project. Chelsea's recent success has been built on instant success and a shitload of spending. I genuinely can't see how Potter would be attracted to that. On the other hand what do I know - seems like maybe he is or he's been promised something previous Chelsea mangers haven't been.

Maybe he has faith in his ability to go in and get success?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He will improve them on day one. I think people are fearing the worst for GP. Just not being Tuchel will improve them. Cucu will improve before he's kicked another ball.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yup. It's obvious they didn't like Tuchel from the off. And nor did the supporters.
Not many of the ones on the Chelsea forum board - surprised and annoyed that Tuchel's been sacked, and wondering why the hell they're going for a manager (from Brighton FFS) who's won nothing, has no CL experience, and has no experience of playing against teams parking the bus (they really know their stuff and have done their research!)

Lawros Lip

Sep 16, 2020
Yep! Certainly a new approach from Abramovich’s way of sacking your coach after every other year - let’s do it after six games instead.

Quite possibly! In which case Potter would not have survived on his form last season.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I really don’t care how he does at Chelsea.

We were on the crest of a massive wave and I can’t help feeling that we are about to get dumped off it.

If we’d had an OK or bad start to the season it would be be so much easier to make a transition.

I doubt there could be a worse time for GP to leave

The fans will be gutted but so will the players, of course they will, and there will be a falling away as they lose their focus imo

A part of me wants GP to really struggle at Chelsea, which I know is not the attitude I should have :shrug:

We really have been dumped in it and I feel for TB who has been let down imo. Our worst fears have been realised in what seems to be the blink of an eye.

Did not see this coming and still have hope that Potter turns Chelsea down, which he won’t of course.

Quite. I’m trying to not think too much about it. It’s frustrating, but the relationship works both ways. We move on, too.

And the club don’t pay me enough to care about it so I need to put my mental energy in to other things.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This is on the BBC website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62824405

'In terms of their search for Tuchel's replacement, the Blues are also believed to be looking for a long-term manager who shares their vision for a collaborative culture and who will focus on development of all players in the squad.'

Everyone wants a long term manager, we did, but he ****ed off to Chelsea, the one before that we ****ed off because we couldn't stand watching that football long term. Very few clubs keep a manager long term when results and performances fall away. I am sure he will get time at the start, not so sure he will get it later.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
This all started when he was being driven back to Brighton from London in the back of Mr and Mrs Cucurella's car.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I said the same on other threads. Chelsea or England are jobs he could do without moving his family.

I also don't think the new owners will have a sacking culture at Chelsea. They clashed with Tuchel all the time. Jason Cundy who has great sources at Chelsea was saying that yesterday. It's clear that they want a more "Brighton like" culture. Even the owners and Tuchel disagreed about the Gilmour transfer.

Slightly disappointing that he's not repaying the faith and loyalty we showed him but these two jobs were the ones I always worried about. Of course, there could yet be a red flag that turns him off but if there is we'll lose him in December or January.

This.

As an aside. why say 'he's gone' (as it says in a post on this thread) when he hasn't yet gone? That's like saying 'it was offside' or 'it wasn't a foul' when the referee and/or VAR determine differently.

It would be more accurate to say that Potter is dead, because that, eventually, is certain.

Until he's gone he's still our manager.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yup. It's obvious they didn't like Tuchel from the off. And nor did the supporters. This, like Newcastle signing DA is proof that there's a new method amongst club owners- get actual experts in, give them time. Build something. It's frustrating but it's clear to see. (And even more frustrating that they're both horrible clubs and seemingly clueless owners- they might be, but they've obviously got people around them that understand the game).

Then watch as Chelsea rip them away.

Reading all kinds of rumours, if any of them are true I feel a bit sorry for Tuchel, and Potter is going to need to educate this yank.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Evidence being Todd Boehly has had the same head coach in at the LA Dodgers since 2016 ?

My guess, coaching rounders is a bit more straightforward than football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here