Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A huge job with huge risks.......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yeah, he managed them for three years, got them relegated and was then unemployed for years before taking the U21 manager role, which he never would have if there was even a remote chance of him getting a job in the PL.

The job is nowhere near as attractive as people think.

To be fair you were confident Potter wouldn't go to Chelsea and, at the very least, he's talking to them. You may think it's not a great job from Sweden but the England manager is a huge deal here. Lots of respected journalists tipped Potter for England. Barry Glendenning was doing so on Football Weekly on Monday (that aged well!). Here's a big article on it on the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59037905

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So was it ever about "the project" or was it really just all about the wedge?

We will surely find out very soon and I think we probably all know the answer. The game is all about who can pay the biggest salaries; it's just down to personal greed. We shouldn't be surprised.

Ole, ole, ole, Bruno, Bruno!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Potter hasn’t accepted the job yet?

He was given permission to speak to Chelsea (which is 100% the right thing to do from the clubs point of view)

The club will have made their views clear and I’m pretty certain he knows that the England job is his in waiting as and when that time comes (probably January)

Maybe I’m totally wrong here but I still believe he will remain our manager come the end of play today, I don’t think everything as cut and dried as the media make out.

Flipping heck I needed to read a post like that this morning to try and lift me out of my utterly foul mood. I sincerely hope you are right.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Even if GP takes the Chelsea job, I do think we will see him back in charge of us again one day.

That gives me some comfort

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To be fair you were confident Potter wouldn't go to Chelsea and, at the very least, he's talking to them. You may think it's not a great job from Sweden but the England manager is a huge deal here. Lots of respected journalists tipped Potter for England. Barry Glendenning was doing so on Football Weekly on Monday (that aged well!). Here's a big article on it on the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59037905

Yes, I was wrong about that.

Neither Howe or Potter will take the England job. It is very, very rare that a successful manager in his 40s with a upwards career trajectory takes the dull and unappreciated job as national team manager.

Not to mention how exceptionally tits up it has to go in the World Cup for Southgate to get sacked.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Even if GP takes the Chelsea job, I do think we will see him back in charge of us again one day.

That gives me some comfort[/]
Whether he returns or not (and I doubt it from both sides), things will not be the same.

The manner of Graham Potter's going is frankly upsetting, and we have had precious little time to process it.

Once we have (and hopefully soon), we can focus not on what we are losing but who is coming in.

We need to move Graham Potter on as painlessly as possible and then move on from him.....

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
May I say wanting Potter to fail at Chelsea is EXACTLY the right attitude to have.

Firstly, why would you want Chelsea to do well ? Secondly the fans owe Potter NOTHING, just like he owes us nothing which is why he is jumping ship.

Most importantly it’s about people seeing how IF he fails that jumping ship isn’t always the right thing to do. And quite frankly all I care about is how Brighton perform over the next few years and how we recruit and retain players and staff.

As soon as Potter signs for Chelsea he is like every other manager in the PL in my eyes… there to be beaten.
100% about wanting him to fail.

If he goes he's just another opponent. And a known shill at that.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I don't know why people persist with this idea that everyone wants the England national team manager role.

They don't. Its a job for either unproven managers who can't get a PL job or old managers who wants a last, exciting gig.
Yes Swanny. This and this again. This idea people see the England job as the holy grail of their management career is utter guff. Our manager is Southgate for goodness sake. Managers want to manage. Everyday. With the best players in the world, at the biggest clubs. That's the aim of 99% of managers.
And you're absolutely right about Southgate. He's going nowhere atm.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
As Potter himself often said, there is no point in dwelling on things beyond our control.

The rapport of the incoming BHA manager with the fans will be crucial in maintaining some good form. We should not judge whoever it is against Potter or he may not last long....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

That gives me some comfort

Doesn't exactly fit with his life philosophy imho, returning to where you've been. He's more likely to rock up at Palace than BHA post Chelsea.

:)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't know why people persist with this idea that everyone wants the England national team manager role.

They don't. Its a job for either unproven managers who can't get a PL job or old managers who wants a last, exciting gig.

I would guess that most English managers would like to manage England one day.

But I can't believe that Graham Potter thinks that day is anywhere close for him. He clearly likes being on the training pitch every day, working with a group of players to improve them both individually and collectively and then pitting his wits against opponents every weekend.

The England job, indeed any national managerial role, is nothing like club management.

One day for Potter, certainly, but not any time soon.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Despite evidence to the contrary!

Not really. They sacked a manager they weren’t keen on who was in situ when they took over. This is their first appointment. Potter is bright and pragmatic and just wouldn’t take a job he feared he’d be out of in 10 games. It’s why he turned down the conversation with Spurs.

Sep 9, 2010

That gives me some comfort[/]
Whether he returns or not (and I doubt it from both sides), things will not be the same.

The manner of Graham Potter's going is frankly upsetting, and we have had precious little time to process it.

Once we have (and hopefully soon), we can focus not on what we are losing but who is coming in.

We need to move Graham Potter on as painlessly as possible and then move on from him.....
Definitely this.

"We need to move Graham Potter on as painlessly as possible and then move on from him....."

Like everyone I too am gutted at his (probable) departure, but one of the strong aspects of emotional intelligence that is part of GPs teachings and now runs through the club is to accept what's happened quickly and move on to dealing with it as soon as possible.

This was evident against Leicester when we fell behind early, conceded the equaliser, and had Mac's screamer ruled out.

GPs interviews for some time have been to respond with "it is what it is" and sometimes you "have to suffer". The players also have this approach. Note Mac in his post match interview being very philosophical about his non goal. Also note how quickly he dug in and doubled down on his efforts with no loss of focus.

It's a good approach to a 90 minute game of football, a good life lesson, and something as a fan I am going to use to deal with GP leaving.

Because the quicker you accept a situation has happened (that is outside of your control), a few things happen...

1) You don't waste time mulling the what ifs, what could have beens and while in that head space end up making things worse (how many times after an unjust disallowed goal or missed penalty etc do you see a team then also go and concede)

2) You take ownership of the situation, you become accountable. Which is empowering and breeds confidence in yourself

3) You can very quickly do something about it and positively affect the situation

Leicester was a perfect example. Often the situations that went against us in that game would have made the players' heads drop, affected performance, and risked ending up in a defeat. But they didn't, they came back stronger, and did so quickly. It was a combination of technically skilled players with a strong never say die attitude to stand tall when things don't go right.

I've seen subtle signs of it in other players' post match interviews too. Very little ranting and raving about poor decisions. They take responsibility.

And faced with losing GP I'd like to think they will take the same approach. Faced with a situation they are unable to change, I think and hope they will take it in their stride and push back even harder. Work even better together under a new manager.

In the analogy of the Leicester game, losing Potter is akin to conceding the equaliser for 2-2 and Mac's disallowed goal. But now we will come back stronger and score more goals!

Here's hoping anyway.....

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Not really. They sacked a manager they weren’t keen on who was in situ when they took over. This is their first appointment. Potter is bright and pragmatic and just wouldn’t take a job he feared he’d be out of in 10 games. It’s why he turned down the conversation with Spurs.

Yup. It's obvious they didn't like Tuchel from the off. And nor did the supporters. This, like Newcastle signing DA is proof that there's a new method amongst club owners- get actual experts in, give them time. Build something. It's frustrating but it's clear to see. (And even more frustrating that they're both horrible clubs and seemingly clueless owners- they might be, but they've obviously got people around them that understand the game).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Exactly. The new owners want a "Brighton like" culture, not Tommy Tickle raging at referees, getting red cards and clashing with the ownership over recruitment. They will have wanted Potter in for a while and have been talking to Cucurella about him. TT was always going to go when there was a proper opportunity.

This is, unfortunately, what happens when a "team like" Brighton shows the big boys how it's done.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Evidence being Todd Boehly has had the same head coach in at the LA Dodgers since 2016 ?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Definitely this.

"We need to move Graham Potter on as painlessly as possible and then move on from him....."

Like everyone I too am gutted at his (probable) departure, but one of the strong aspects of emotional intelligence that is part of GPs teachings and now runs through the club is to accept what's happened quickly and move on to dealing with it as soon as possible.

This was evident against Leicester when we fell behind early, conceded the equaliser, and had Mac's screamer ruled out.

GPs interviews for some time have been to respond with "it is what it is" and sometimes you "have to suffer". The players also have this approach. Note Mac in his post match interview being very philosophical about his non goal. Also note how quickly he dug in and doubled down on his efforts with no loss of focus.

It's a good approach to a 90 minute game of football, a good life lesson, and something as a fan I am going to use to deal with GP leaving.

Because the quicker you accept a situation has happened (that is outside of your control), a few things happen...

1) You don't waste time mulling the what ifs, what could have beens and while in that head space end up making things worse (how many times after an unjust disallowed goal or missed penalty etc do you see a team then also go and concede)

2) You take ownership of the situation, you become accountable. Which is empowering and breeds confidence in yourself

3) You can very quickly do something about it and positively affect the situation

Leicester was a perfect example. Often the situations that went against us in that game would have made the players' heads drop, affected performance, and risked ending up in a defeat. But they didn't, they came back stronger, and did so quickly. It was a combination of technically skilled players with a strong never say die attitude to stand tall when things don't go right.

I've seen subtle signs of it in other players' post match interviews too. Very little ranting and raving about poor decisions. They take responsibility.

And faced with losing GP I'd like to think they will take the same approach. Faced with a situation they are unable to change, I think and hope they will take it in their stride and push back even harder. Work even better together under a new manager.

In the analogy of the Leicester game, losing Potter is akin to conceding the equaliser for 2-2 and Mac's disallowed goal. But now we will come back stronger and score more goals!

Here's hoping anyway.....

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Excellent bit of Mindfulness advice there. Thanks.

I heartily agree....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Yep, pretty patient this season. Potter really need to think long and hard.

If he was made England manager I'd be less upset, but Chelsea...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here