Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A good preseason build up? I think not

Mar 3, 2004
Hove
No bad thing we've not won many games pre -season. It'll help dampen down the ridiculous expectations held by many on this board that we're going to be promoted. People must remember it takes time to build a side and Slade must be given that time. Until then we are a team in transition.

Exactly what he said...:clap:

I cant add another word to that.

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
I'm not interested in Newcastle losing against Orient but I expect every Brighton player to give 100%. As mentioned by others on NSC new players and trialists as well as the old heads should be trying to impress. I hope that on saturday Slade plays what he thinks is his first choice team in their correct positions. Winning and loosing become habbits, winning gives confidence.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
No bad thing we've not won many games pre -season. It'll help dampen down the ridiculous expectations held by many on this board that we're going to be promoted. People must remember it takes time to build a side and Slade must be given that time. Until then we are a team in transition.

I agree its not the worst thing in the world that were not winning.......on a different note...its the fact not many players are putting in a decent shift is a little bit more worrying.

I dont think its ridiculous to expect a good season....look at Millwall last term....season before last they finished 17th/18th ish...and then were in a playoff final.

Weve brought in some decent players and got rid of the dead wood & with that comes expectation, It is going to take time for the team to settle I agree and dont expect us to go off like an express train....but throughout the season with RS in charge, I am expecting us to either be in and around the playoffs or within touching distance.

I dont think thats an unrealistic goal for the squad.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I'm not interested in Newcastle losing against Orient but I expect every Brighton player to give 100%. As mentioned by others on NSC new players and trialists as well as the old heads should be trying to impress. I hope that on saturday Slade plays what he thinks is his first choice team in their correct positions. Winning and loosing become habbits, winning gives confidence.

Load of rubbish, pre season i.e before the season i.e completely seperate, do you think Russ is screaming to them before the game motivating them? Chances are they are still doing 2 heavy training sessions before the game. NSC you couldn't make it up!

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
I can't understand how so many on NSC are willing to accept second best. Start in a the way you mean to carry on. I don't like losing and never will. Every game counts and if a team does not think so they might as well not turn up.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I can't understand how many on NSC are willing to accept second best. Start in a the way you mean to carry on. I don't like losing and never will. Every game counts and if a team does not think so they might as well not turn up.

Its a glorified training session! All pre season games are the same. Lets wait till Wallsall shall we before we start slagging them of for not trying.

:dunce:

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
If the players screw up against Scunthorpe I'll be hopping mad. This is the game that should be considered as the first of the season. The players should be fit and played in their correct positions. Slade needs to field what he thinks is his strongest team . No more excuses for losing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I agree its not the worst thing in the world that were not winning.......on a different note...its the fact not many players are putting in a decent shift is a little bit more worrying.

I dont think its ridiculous to expect a good season....look at Millwall last term....season before last they finished 17th/18th ish...and then were in a playoff final.

Weve brought in some decent players and got rid of the dead wood & with that comes expectation, It is going to take time for the team to settle I agree and dont expect us to go off like an express train....but throughout the season with RS in charge, I am expecting us to either be in and around the playoffs or within touching distance.

I dont think thats an unrealistic goal for the squad.

I hope you're right. It's going to be a really tough division so to be snifffing round the play offs would be a very good achievement. I have to say that, so far, I have not been particuarly inspired by Slade's signings but obviously the jury's out and he's still re-building. In any case, we know that it'll be several weeks before he gets to pick his first choice team because of the McNulty situation so we will all need to be patient.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
To be honest - We don't seem to have exciting pre-seasons and we are in a no- win situation, why haven't we played any premiership or top championship clubs? no glamour ties just non league clubs. Good for building match fitness and the benefit is they put out their strongest eleven but at the end of the day nothing matters till walsall

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If the players screw up against Scunthorpe I'll be hopping mad. This is the game that should be considered as the first of the season. The players should be fit and played in their correct positions. Slade needs to field what he thinks is his strongest team . No more excuses for losing.
And how would you feel if Gary Dicker got himself injured pre-season going somewhat over-enthusiastically into a tackle because we're still 0-0 at 45 miinutes and it's ONLY Scunthorpe?

They're friendly games where the result is not the reason for the game. No-one gets any points. Players are just getting used to playing with new teammates and under a new manager. I'm sure you're just on a wind-up but if you really will be hopping mad if we lose to Scunny in a friendly then you don't have enough going on in your life

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm not overly worried. However, not having seen any of the games so far, 2 things stand out as a potential concern.

1) Lack of goals
2) Feedback from you guys on Dickinson's ability

Hopefully wrong on both counts come the beginning of the season

So it's been another good work out, another defeat to a team from a lower league. Just over a week until the season starts and does RS have any idea of what his first team will be. Anyone else worried???
No,
but what I am worried about is You thinking it's acceptable to sexually assault women just because the wear short skirts.
You shit nonce c*nt.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It's only "friendly" games, and I suppose that much of the purpose of these games is to build up fitness levels and see who "gels" with whom.

However, what concerns me, is that NONE of the new signings seem remotely better than what we had last season.

Thornhill flitted in and out of the game. Spiller....why....? Crofts looked tidy, but nothing more. Dickenson looked exactly like someone who hasn't played proper football for a year. Tunnicliffe was a huge disappointment. I thought he was going to be a nailed on certainty for centre-half, but looks well behind Virgo and Elphick. Smith at best, is no better than Kuipers.

Early days, but nonetheless, I have yet to see ANYTHING from the new signings that excites me.

Still looking forward to 8th August tho...!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Personally I'm of the view that results don't matter at all during pre-season. Fully expect the players were back in for training today and didn't exactly push themseleves last night. Slade knows what he is doing its not his first season as a manager is it. Do have a slight concern about the lack of goals/chances but hopefully come Walsall that will be put right.
One thing I did get from yesterday is that Kuipers seems to be in pole position for the No 1 shirt, played behind what I expect to the first choice defence and has done for most of the games so far.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
losing is not an option. Regarding players getting injured preseason, there's just as much chance that they could get injured against Wallsall.

why is losing not an option? It doesn't matter what the result is no points on offer and no cup final at the end or anything like that. Would happily take a loss on Sat for 3 points the next week to set us on our way.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A: Because I'm a lazy git and can't be arsed to look them up and
B: Because I haven't really been following it all too closely yet

Can someone please post the pre-season friendly results we've had thus far?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here