A good preseason build up? I think not

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
So it's been another good work out, another defeat to a team from a lower league. Just over a week until the season starts and does RS have any idea of what his first team will be. Anyone else worried???

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
It hasn't been pretty, a good result on Saturday, or at least a good performance, might even it up a bit though

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
So it's been another good work out, another defeat to a team from a lower league. Just over a week until the season starts and does RS have any idea of what his first team will be. Anyone else worried???

I am sorry but do you really think RS does not know what he is doing? I am sure he has a very good idea of his team. If we lose the first 5 games then start worrying.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think we all would like to see a win. But are these games for points? Obviously not, they are about seeing players (esp as we have a few new faces), seeing how they play, systems, working up fitness etc.

Orient have beaten Newcastle. Must make them and their fans feel great, but it counts for nothing if they struggle in L1.

Having said that, then yes Scunthorpe should now be about settling on a team and a system or two.

I would be more worried if we lose our first 5 games. But until then, lets wait and see before writing off the season.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
No bad thing we've not won many games pre -season. It'll help dampen down the ridiculous expectations held by many on this board that we're going to be promoted. People must remember it takes time to build a side and Slade must be given that time. Until then we are a team in transition.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think we all would like to see a win. But are these games for points? Obviously not, they are about seeing players (esp as we have a few new faces), seeing how they play, systems, working up fitness etc.

Orient have beaten Newcastle. Must make them and their fans feel great, but it counts for nothing if they struggle in L1.

Having said that, then yes Scunthorpe should now be about settling on a team and a system or two.

I would be more worried if we lose our first 5 games. But until then, lets wait and see before writing off the season.

Wise words there Mr D. That said, if we get taken apart at Scunny I'll be getting concerned - but August 8th is the start of when it really counts.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Read my lips: Preseason. Results. Never. Matter. Not one bit.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I agree with all the sentiment above that says not to worry - but I also recall that after the game at the weekend RS said that it was the next two where he would expect to see his team gel (or words to that effect). So is that a concern? Probably a bigger issue is individual form form - and even here it's a case of getting match fit and getting to know your new team mates.

I'm not panicking.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh no! We've lost in a pre season game! Slade Out!

:dasreich: :dasreich: :dasreich: :dasreich:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I must admit to being very dissapointed, and a little worried.

We all know that they are friendlies, the lower teams' players try harder etc. etc., but really, we have a whole bunch of new and existing players that should all be trying to impress their new Manager, and get the starting places in the team. There is little sign of that, and that is what worries me a little.

However, I do think that RS will sort things out, but maybe TB needs to let him have the money for a couple of big signings - particularly a "big" midfielder to run the show and take over from Forster who looks to be a long way away from playing every game, and should probably no longer wear the armband.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Oh no! We've lost in a pre season game! Slade Out!

:dasreich: :dasreich: :dasreich: :dasreich:

Well, put like that it does appear to be a lot of fuss about nothing!

However, given that we have actually lost 3 from 5 and only managed to beat Havant and Waterlooville and the Wombles, people are probably entitles to be a tad unhappy?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
SLADE OUT NOW :drama:

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Does anyone even remember last season's pre season results? No didn't think so. THEY DON'T MATTER!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It depends what you're trying to achieve.

If it's basically a settled side and you're by now just boosting fitness levels, you should be beating Torquay.

But if you've got new players and are trying them out in different positions and using new formations, as long as you learn stuff from the matches a narrow defeat isn't important.

On the other hand, if you're Newcastle and you see very highly-paid defenders doing some sort of Billy Smarts routine at Orient, then you should be a bit concerned.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Well, put like that it does appear to be a lot of fuss about nothing!

However, given that we have actually lost 3 from 5 and only managed to beat Havant and Waterlooville and the Wombles, people are probably entitles to be a tad unhappy?

It IS alot of fuss about nothing, Hawkins and McLeod looked quality in pre-season last season and look how they turned out. Pre-season results mean the square root of nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports