Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A genuine question - what did the UK gain from Indian occupation?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
An article in the Daily Mail with one personal opinion, that it was his vanity project. There’s no way he could’ve taken that decision alone. Rejoicing in the IRA blowing him up, along with innocent victims is disgusting.

The Dieppe raid was a failure but many lessons were learned which enabled D day in Normandy.
What exactly has the Dieppe raid got to do with our colonial past?.... and what does its failure say about our colonial past?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Or they might, as a few other nations with no British rule also developed their infrastructure between 1858 and 1947...
Yes, and the relevance of this statement and dates is what?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
What started in 1858, and seemingly finished in 1947?.... come on man, you regularly throw in these types of random soundbites, but rarely make it count by giving any appropriate context or meaning.... enlighten me.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
What started in 1858, and seemingly finished in 1947?.... come on man, you regularly throw in these types of random soundbites, but rarely make it count by giving any appropriate context or meaning.... enlighten me.

It's the start and end dates of the British Raj.

Not including the preceding period of East India Company rule.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Raj

What are you arguing about? Someone suggested that the British Empire had a positive effect on India's "infrastructure, economy, education, hospitals, public gardens". Swansman said those things may well have developed on their own, like they did in non-empire countries.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I have to admit that I sort of admire your persistence in trying to prove you are right and I do not condone the actions quoted but in point of fact and reciprocating your "dog with a bone" attitude, it does NOT prove that SCOTLAND invaded anyone for the reasons you quote :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_invasions_of_England

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_involving_the_Kingdom_of_Scotland

You responded to my joke post to say Scotland hadn't done the things mentioned. Scotland is part of the UK, as they were in the days of the Raj, and were therefore complicit. As detailed in the links, Scots were highly involved in fact. Am I wrong?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
You responded to my joke post to say Scotland hadn't done the things mentioned. Scotland is part of the UK, as they were in the days of the Raj, and were therefore complicit. As detailed in the links, Scots were highly involved in fact. Am I wrong?

Did Scotland INVADE was the point. Therefore you are. :whistle::whistle:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Did Scotland INVADE was the point. Therefore you are. :whistle::whistle:

Right, so the Scottish soldiers just wandered in on a whim :rolleyes:

Is your aim to absolve Scotland of guilt, strip the Scots of their agency or just to try and win an argument based on semantics?

Whatever it is, my initial point seems to have been missed.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I think this thread illustrates that an objective study of the empire should be an essential part of the school curriculum.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When commentators decry a bad tackle do you shout at the TV that there have been other bad tackles elsewhere?

No of course not, but you (and Swansman's posts) are getting off the point I was making. You, quite correctly, asked why people get so 'fragile' when the sins of the British Empire are pointed out. I agree. We, the modern British people, should have no 'personal guilt' when it comes to the Empire. We shouldn't mind when its sins are pointed out (it wasn't us), and also we have absolutely no need to apologise for it (it wasn't us).

(Sorry, I only put your points in quote marks to illustrate them. I agree with you, it's just that there are two sides to that coin).

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No of course not, but you (and Swansman's posts) are getting off the point I was making. You, quite correctly, asked why people get so 'fragile' when the sins of the British Empire are pointed out. I agree. We, the modern British people, should have no 'personal guilt' when it comes to the Empire. We shouldn't mind when its sins are pointed out (it wasn't us), and also we have absolutely no need to apologise for it (it wasn't us).

(Sorry, I only put your points in quote marks to illustrate them. I agree with you, it's just that there are two sides to that coin).

I agree with you. However, I'm not sure why people feel the need to defend modern day Brits on a thread where no one is accusing them of anything. Hence, my comment on fragility.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Right, so the Scottish soldiers just wandered in on a whim :rolleyes:

Is your aim to absolve Scotland of guilt, strip the Scots of their agency or just to try and win an argument based on semantics?

Whatever it is, my initial point seems to have been missed.

I really have no idea what your agenda is here. I am not absolving anyone. Just trying to point out that you were incorrect. (Perish the thought)

Capture.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here