Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A genuine question - what did the UK gain from Indian occupation?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As long as you haven't benefitted from them at others expense....

Somebody mentioned North Korea. If you steal you and your family get put into prison for life, including your children.
I read a biography of someone who managed to escape whilst working in the fields into South Korea. His grandparents had opposed communism, and his mother was expecting him as they were locked up. He was born in the prison camp and lived there for 17 years.
He was very disorientated by life in the south, if it hadn’t been for the fact, he would’ve been shot, he nearly opted to go back to prison.

I have seen messages hoping the late Queen died in agony due to the slave trade which was abolished in her great great grandmother’s reign.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Try reading your own link. The US has never been in the Commonwealth but could apply to join as a former colony, but never has therefore has never been in the Commonwealth.

I believe that Rwanda and Mozambique are members of the Commonwealth and were never British colonies.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He certainly was. Partition killed an estimated million people and displaced 15 million. Can't recall how many Canadian's were killed in his WWII Dieppe raid.

An article in the Daily Mail with one personal opinion, that it was his vanity project. There’s no way he could’ve taken that decision alone. Rejoicing in the IRA blowing him up, along with innocent victims is disgusting.

The Dieppe raid was a failure but many lessons were learned which enabled D day in Normandy.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Oh, that's easy. People like to tell stories about themselves, their nationalities, their (non-)religions, their identities, etc, and to make these positive stories. They get offended when others try to suggest that there is more than one narrative framework out there.

Cultural hegemony is a hell of a thing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As long as you haven't benefitted from them at others expense....

Where do you draw the line though? Should we be seeking reparations from Italy for the Roman oppression or maybe the scandinavians for those damned Viking raids. What about the French in 1066.
How many of these countries seeking reparations were themselves in dispute during their history with neighbouring countries?

Reparations may sound nice and easy but they are far from it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Where do you draw the line though? Should we be seeking reparations from Italy for the Roman oppression or maybe the scandinavians for those damned Viking raids. What about the French in 1066.
How many of these countries seeking reparations were themselves in dispute during their history with neighbouring countries?

Reparations have been mentioned 3 times on this thread, all of which are in your post that I'm quoting.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Whenever I have visited India the locals have all spoken about what a positive effect the British being there was. Mainly in terms of setting up infrastructure, economy, education, hospitals, public gardens etc.

This is similar to the effect that Mussolini had on Italy. They have excellent roads, railways, public buildings, infrastructure etc, which they would not have had otherwise.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Whenever I have visited India the locals have all spoken about what a positive effect the British being there was. Mainly in terms of setting up infrastructure, economy, education, hospitals, public gardens etc.

This is similar to the effect that Mussolini had on Italy. They have excellent roads, railways, public buildings, infrastructure etc, which they would not have had otherwise.

Can't make a frittata without breaking a few eggs.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
We made a few quid here and there from Indian grown Opium too.

What country hasn't invaded another and forced a few million peasants to produce drugs that could be exported to another nation illegally, creating a widespread addiction problem in that country and then gone to war to maintain the profits of the smugglers? Everyone was at it. Don't blame me.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Or they might, as a few other nations with no British rule also developed their infrastructure between 1858 and 1947...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
An article in the Daily Mail with one personal opinion, that it was his vanity project. There’s no way he could’ve taken that decision alone. Rejoicing in the IRA blowing him up, along with innocent victims is disgusting.

The Dieppe raid was a failure but many lessons were learned which enabled D day in Normandy.
Partition and Paul Maxwell is, as you say, disgusting. I don't read the Mail.
https://legionmagazine.com/en/2012/07/dieppe-they-didnt-have-to-die/

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Such improvements as there were in Italian railways in the 20s were due to reforms made before Mussolini came to power. And most of the trains still didn't run on time anyway.

They also could have afforded far better public infrastructure if they hadn't spent so much effort on ego trips and trying, largely unsuccessfully, to invade other countries.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Point of order, William of Normandy was Norse, i.e., of Viking heritage.

Agree with your points though :thumbsup:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What country hasn't invaded another and forced a few million peasants to produce drugs that could be exported to another nation illegally, creating a widespread addiction problem in that country and then gone to war to maintain the profits of the smugglers? Everyone was at it. Don't blame me.

I don't think Scotland ever invaded and forced a few million peasants to produce drugs that could be exported to another nation illegally, creating a widespread addiction problem in that country and then gone to war to maintain the profits of the smugglers?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I don't think Scotland ever invaded and forced a few million peasants to produce drugs that could be exported to another nation illegally, creating a widespread addiction problem in that country and then gone to war to maintain the profits of the smugglers?

Erm... You might want to check that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We gained £billions systematically looting India and exploiting it. It pretty much bankrolled the British Empire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here