Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A few Albion 'fans' being nationalistic ****s on the train last night...a rare occurrence?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I knew a Catholic lad from Irish family going to school in Mid Sussex who joined the British Army and was killed in Northern Irleland
What a waste of young mans life and he was a Brighton Fan. Don't bring politics into sport.

It was sung by a lot of England fans. How exactly do you identify a Combat 18 member amongst a crowd of thousands? There was a lot of scollobs talked in the media in the aftermath of that match. I recall that some journalists were even making reference to the fascist looking hammers on one or two England flags. It was a West Ham badge.

I grant you that there were England fans at that game who were being led down a path that Combat 18 created for the occasion. But there is clear evidence that the role of Combat 18 in the events of that night was known to the British authorities beforehand, reported to the Irish authorities and ignored, until it was too late to prevent the trouble breaking out.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I grant you that there were England fans at that game who were being led down a path that Combat 18 created for the occasion. But there is clear evidence that the role of Combat 18 in the events of that night was known to the British authorities beforehand, reported to the Irish authorities and ignored, until it was too late to prevent the trouble breaking out.

Oh, I don't disagree. The MacIntyre documentary on Marriner and the other hoolies confirms it but I don't think that song was invented by Combat 18.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Every time I've heard it sung since then, I find it impossible to get the memory of that game out of my head.

dear oh dear, you sensitive soul Would you like a" trigger warning " before England games so you are prepared and can block the memories flooding back or even better give you a chance to retreat to a "safe space".

It is clearly intended to intimidate any Irish person within earshot.

you would have thought the twenty years since the event was enough time to realise its just a chorus of a patriotic song sung at every England away game.Its not aimed directly at ordinary Irish people. I don’t recall many Irish people in the vicinity when it was belted out in the bars in Bratislava, Katowice or Gothenburg

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It's not sectarian? but you heard it in Glasgow and Belfast and you support Rangers. Haha what a tool you are.
By the way the version at England games I've heard starts:
'Keep St.George in my heart keep my English'.
Also I've just got off the phone to my pal 'Corporal' Gray. The fella that did 3 tours. He said over there loyalists sing 'Keep St.George in my heart keep me smiling' Also the next bit has something about the hand of Ulster but he couldn't recall it exactly. I know that part is not sung in the England fans version . So I'm afraid it's YOU that have no idea wtf you are talking about. It is a sectarian song and especially you'd take it as sectarian if you were Catholic Irish. But I don't really give a crap what you say because you're just wrong end of.

Edited to add the hand of Ulster thing.
Either you or your pal "corporal gray" is lying , I did 2 tours and can state categorically that loyalists DO NOT sing about St George, so it's YOU who has no idea of what they're talking about.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
dear oh dear, you sensitive soul Would you like a" trigger warning " before England games so you are prepared and can block the memories flooding back or even better give you a chance to retreat to a "safe space".

you would have thought the twenty years since the event was enough time to realise its just a chorus of a patriotic song sung at every England away game.Its not aimed directly at ordinary Irish people. I don’t recall many Irish people in the vicinity when it was belted out in the bars in Bratislava, Katowice or Gothenburg

Pasta - I think you're making yourself look a bit of a kn*b if I'm being honest.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
See Ulster Flag or Ulster banner. Sure in the Protestant bars and pubs of Belfast especially those that were popular with the British Army it's possible that the words were changed. It certainly has been changed at England football matches. But really you're spitting hairs here. It's origins are 100% a sectarian song. As I said before if you are Irish Catholic it would be sectarian to you, however if sung by a bunch of pissed up youngsters after an Albion match bizarrely, then you may not take offence. Like you those kids might not know of the songs past.

You are continuing to confuse yourself!
There are two elements to this 'song' that you refer too:
1. The bit about St George - this is sung by English nationalists and some football supporters but I repeat it ha never as a rule been sung by Ulster loyalists and the further point being that a pro- English song is not critical of Catholics and therefore not sectarian;
2. The add-on abot no surrender is not sectarian either.
There is no 'splitting of hairs' it is a simple fact!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
"Derry's Walls" also features the words "No Surrender" but it is not banned from being sung in Scottish grounds (unlike "Billy Boys" or "Glasgow Celtic IRA").

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Surely the question is whether the song was sung at the passenger in question if it was known they were Irish. In that case there's clear reasons why it's an issue. If not then certainly its a bit weird but not offensive.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's sung by Unionist and Loyalists in NI and is the no surrender bit is the chorus. I know the start of it has something about St. George and the cross etc. I'm not sure of the full verse or song. But a friend of mine did 3 tours of NI in the 90's it was sang along with many many others in Protestant pubs and bars. It's a sectarian song. I don't really understand why someone would sing it at an Albion game. I've heard it following England along with the cringey 'German Bombers' song.
It is what it is, I can understand if you were Irish it might be a bit corncerning. Not because the people singing it hate the IRA, that's fair enough, but because the song has a sectarian history. If you hear that song and you're Irish, it means the people singing it are anti Catholic, anti Irish and as a result a sectarian. However I'm sure the people Irish people in question, realised they were just pissed up twats and not sectarian in any way.

A logical explanation of why the song was disconcerting or confronting for Irish people. No-one has suggested that anyone WAS 'offended' by it (its always good to suggest that people are offended by something and then bang on about it endlessly) but I would suggest this is the reason that the OP felt the need to post about it.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
There does seem to be a group of people on the thread who appear to be 'offended'. The permanently offended. Ive not seen many, if anybody on the thread suggest they were 'offended' by this chant particularly. OP suggested it was not a nice experience, and If he was with Irish relatives, I would think understandable, particularly if it was aimed at them on the basis of their nationality. That isnt exactly clear though.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There does seem to be a group of people on the thread who appear to be 'offended'. The permanently offended. Ive not seen many, if anybody on the thread suggest they were 'offended' by this chant particularly. OP suggested it was not a nice experience, and If he was with Irish relatives, I would think understandable, particularly if it was aimed at them on the basis of their nationality.

since the song is aimed at terrorists and not Irish people in general and given his relatives are not i presume IRA,im so not sure why they should be even the slightest concerned.... has anyone even suggested these people broke out into this particular song because they realised there was an Irish person in the vicinity.......i dont think so.........thats a massive "if" presumption you have made

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
No surrender to Ghandi would look pretty daft in this day or age, or maybe the same chant for George Washington.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No surrender to Ghandi would look pretty daft in this day or age, or maybe the same chant for George Washington.

Not sure how you can compare those two to a vile cowardly organisation that orchestrated a deliberate targeting of civilians in a terrorist bombing campaign, but carry on with your view that Ghandi and Washington were terrorists the same as the IRA but just from a long time ago…….i don’t think it’s a view that will win you many friends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here