Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A&E

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
One of the problems is the number of people who rock up to A&E because they can't get an appointment with their GP. You wouldn't believe the number of people who turn up with trivial issues but who, as they can't get to see their GP for 3 days, think they should go to A&E. They all get seen regardless. If you spent a day working at an A&E reception you would despair at some of the things people turn up with. Utterly ridiculous.

Agreed, but that's the same with anything though isn't it. I saw Birmingham Emergency services last week were playing some of the 999 calls they'd had, and one woman rang 999 to complain she'd forgotten her laptop password. You always get people either too stupid, too lazy or whatever who abuse any system.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
One of the problems is the number of people who rock up to A&E because they can't get an appointment with their GP. You wouldn't believe the number of people who turn up with trivial issues but who, as they can't get to see their GP for 3 days, think they should go to A&E. They all get seen regardless. If you spent a day working at an A&E reception you would despair at some of the things people turn up with. Utterly ridiculous.

Same arguments can be attributed to GP's surgery's too.

The utter wastage of time, money and probably NHS staff's motivation.

D

Deleted member 22389

Have Eastbourne hospital improved service? I remember how my dad was treated and my wife's relative.
I actually had a very good case at the time to take matters a lot further, after what happened to my dad. I didn't take it any further, because I didn't want to see people getting struck off.
The place was a joke. What with this staffordshire hospital enquiry and this thread, it is all bringing it back to me.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Have Eastbourne hospital improved service? I remember how my dad was treated and my wife's relative.
I actually had a very good case at the time to take matters a lot further, after what happened to my dad. I didn't take it any further, because I didn't want to see people getting struck off.
The place was a joke. What with this staffordshire hospital enquiry and this thread, it is all bringing it back to me.

Eastbourne have cancelled a lot (if not all) routine operations and moved nursing staff to the medical wards because they ran out of money to pay the agency nurses whilst at the same time appointing another manager.

Agree he should stop moaning but FREE HEALTH CARE. Where did you get that nugget from? Its hardly free, free at the point of need but we all pay a hefty bill for it in taxes.

Well obviously, I was merely implying that at no point was cash or insurance details given nor will there be any demands for reimbursement.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
No, just stretchy ligaments and no knuckle casings left.

I was advised the only way to stop the issue is to get the bones fused. This was after I enquired about amputation for one.

Is it just in your hands or is it in other parts of your body too?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
When I broke my tib and fib and got taken to a&e they had to straighen the bones without any sedation as they couldn't even find the gas and air!

Well. You won't do it again now, will you?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed, but that's the same with anything though isn't it. I saw Birmingham Emergency services last week were playing some of the 999 calls they'd had, and one woman rang 999 to complain she'd forgotten her laptop password. You always get people either too stupid, too lazy or whatever who abuse any system.

Par for the course. I'd love to sit & look through all the 999 calls Sussex Police get in a week. Drunks in West Street asking for a lift home after a night out on the piss (they usually ring three or four times before finally getting the message). People complaining that someone else's kid has called their kid a slag on Facebook (not nice, I appreciate, but hardly a police emergency). People who want to know what time Tesco shuts. People who have pre-scheduled hospital appointments and have tried calling an ambulance to take them there but been- quite correctly- refused. People who have been scammed by their friendly local heroin dealer into paying over the odds for a couple of wraps & want to complain. Someone whose teenage son has failed to come home on time for the 50th night in succession & who can't be arsed to go & look for him themself.

Meanwhile, 98 year old Mrs Miggins has been lying on the bathroom floor with a broken hip for 18 hours and won't pick the phone up & dial 999 because she doesn't want to be a nuisance :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it [MENTION=13726]Marc1901[/MENTION] hasn't been back since? :lol:

Take it like a man, big boy! :lol:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I am sorry I still cannot see why you felt it necessary to go to A&E for something that was always likely to be a sprain.

Surely manage the initial pain, maybe ice and an ibuprofen.

If you wake up during the night in severe pain and throbbing ( yeah I know ) then of course this is a likely indication of something A&E was needed for but until then it was always likely to settle down and although uncomfortable for a couple of days nothing within the NHS could actively progress your recovery.

But again you were clogging up the system, wasting taxpayers money and wasting a vital resource which is the NHS.

He wasn't to know it was a sprain. Might have broken it. That's why he went to A&E.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

Only 3 days to see a GP? At my practice, it's a week before you can get an appointment. But I think you're right. The waiting time to see a GP could be one of the reasons so many people clog up A&E.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

I took Mum to Eastbourne A&E a couple of years ago. She was seen, assessed, treated and out within half an hour.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I take it [MENTION=13726]Marc1901[/MENTION] hasn't been back since? :lol:

Take it like a man, big boy! :lol:

I'm back! Been at work.

I can understand people taking the piss and obviously I was expecting it :lolol:

I know it may of only been a dislocated finger, which to be fair does sound a bit OTT to go the hospital for. As soon as I done it I went to my GP who saw it at a glance and he told me to go up there because it was so mangled he thought I'd done a lot more to it, he said that to me today when I went down to see him.

I understand these doctors and nurses work hard and can't see you straight away but when I was sitting there and about 20 people come in after me and get seen before me only for me to be told " Oh, seems like you've been taken off the list " was a bit of a pisstake.

All in all, after having 2 x-rays, it being put back in and having a splint put on it would of took about half an hour. So, why 3 hours?!

That's the point I was trying to make, afterall as most people keep saying, it was only a finger..

Edit : Not also forgetting they sent me to the wrong part of the building and was sat in there for an hour without being told anything.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
How shit! Sat up there yesterday for 3 hours for a dislocated finger, it was bad too!

X-ray followed by being told I've been took off the list after an hour, sat in another room for an hour, popped back into place after another half hour, x-ray then a splint on my finger.

3 f***ing hours! To be honest, that's a joke.
Go private!

Pay for your check ups!

Pay ridiculous money for medication! f*** yeah.

A&E works on priority, you were not going to die.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He wasn't to know it was a sprain. Might have broken it. That's why he went to A&E.

Yes he could, bloody hell, he hurt his ankle and there was some swelling and it was painful etc, but if firstly he had just managed it at home, he would have found that it gradually improved and although uncomfortable it had become obvious it was not broken or his ligaments not ruptured, just a sprained ankle and he wouldnt have had any impact to NHS resources, they could offer little in terms of treatment that might progress his healing any quicker anyway.

If the severity of the pain worsened, then of course get to A&E to get it checked out, this is to me is the correct way to use A&E, but unfortunately it seems that you are yet another that thinks its a valid pattern of behaviour to use A&E as some sort of emotional crutch.

A twisted ankle is no more than just that, it neednt follow that we should get it checked out 'just in case' it might be broken, ligaments ruptured or is the onset of bone cancer, its a waste of time and effort for those within the NHS whose time could be spent better elsewhere.

To me it is just a responsible way for adults to behave towards such an important resource.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Yes he could, bloody hell, he hurt his ankle and there was some swelling and it was painful etc, but if firstly he had just managed it at home, he would have found that it gradually improved and although uncomfortable it had become obvious it was not broken or his ligaments not ruptured, just a sprained ankle and he wouldnt have had any impact to NHS resources, they could offer little in terms of treatment that might progress his healing any quicker anyway.

If the severity of the pain worsened, then of course get to A&E to get it checked out, this is to me is the correct way to use A&E, but unfortunately it seems that you are yet another that thinks its a valid pattern of behaviour to use A&E as some sort of emotional crutch.

A twisted ankle is no more than just that, it neednt follow that we should get it checked out 'just in case' it might be broken, ligaments ruptured or is the onset of bone cancer, its a waste of time and effort for those within the NHS whose time could be spent better elsewhere.

To me it is just a responsible way for adults to behave towards such an important resource.

It is accident and emergency. At the end of the day if someone has had an accident and hurt themselves they have every right to go to the A+E provided they do not mind waiting, obviously better to go to an urgent care centre but not everyone is near one or are even aware they exist.
My son had a bad temperature one night and I took him to A+E, now you might say that oh you should have waited, it was only a temperature etc but it turned out he had pneumonia and needed oxygen treatment for five days solid. Now if we took your advice it could have been a lot worse.
People pay for this service so have every right to use it but should not expect to be seen quickly unless you are unconscious, cannot breathe, having a heart attack/stroke or are in serious pain.
You seem to be able to find an excuse of why everyone should not go to A+E

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here