Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A&E

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
How shit! Sat up there yesterday for 3 hours for a dislocated finger, it was bad too!

X-ray followed by being told I've been took off the list after an hour, sat in another room for an hour, popped back into place after another half hour, x-ray then a splint on my finger.

3 f***ing hours! To be honest, that's a joke.

I once went to A&E at the Royal Sussex at 7 on a Monday evening. There was one other person in the waiting room. After 4 hours a nurse gave me an initial look, 2 hours later I saw a doctor. I was sent down to the x-ray department that was closed, and asked to come back 2 days later. The doctor made the injury worse which resulted in me not being able to write for 2 months.

It's known as triage, I bet you were seen as soon as you walked into A&E. The triage nurse would then asses what injury you had and place you on a priority list.

7 hours I was in HH A&E once, it was a Friday night and I'd cut my knuckle off with a broken glass, a washing up accident, by the time the walking wounded from all the fights and pissed up people had been seen it was my turn.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Generally at any given time, at least half the people sitting in the waiting room at A&E don't actually require hospital treatment & could easily be seen by their GP or a nurse practitioner at their local surgery, or at one of the NHS walk-in centres.

If people didn't call ambulances or present themselves at A&A for the most ridiculous stuff then things might speed up a little.

That said, I don't particularly think 3 hours is much of an issue. I've spent much longer than that waiting around hospitals before.

Perhaps the O/P should have gone to the 1901 entrance at the RSCH & he might have received the service he evidently felt was more appropriate to the status of his hurt finger.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Top Tip - When you check in tell them you are a nurse.

I guarantee you won't wait so long.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Generally at any given time, at least half the people sitting in the waiting room at A&E don't actually require hospital treatment & could easily be seen by their GP or a nurse practitioner at their local surgery, or at one of the NHS walk-in centres.

If people didn't call ambulances or present themselves at A&A for the most ridiculous stuff then things might speed up a little.

Yes this does seem to be a large part of the problem, there was a story on the news about it the other week and some of the things people consider an emergency are hilarious. I think a lot of people don't realise the procedures that can be handled at their local GP surgery.

But 3 hours, I'd be quite happy with that!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Although it is nice to have a unifying thread on NSC.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
How shit! Sat up there yesterday for 3 hours for a dislocated finger, it was bad too!

X-ray followed by being told I've been took off the list after an hour, sat in another room for an hour, popped back into place after another half hour, x-ray then a splint on my finger.

How did you dislocate your finger?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

If your life s not in danger A&E will always stick you to the back of the queue. That's how it works.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
That's how mine mostly dislocate. I've got lax joints and I've had 30+ dislocated fingers over the years.

Ever since I got stuck with a dislocated finger for 36 hours I've learnt to just pull them back in as soon as it happen.

do you have very stretchy skin Tyrone?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I have to say, I posted my first response after seeing the OP. Now I have read the rest of the posts I am very chuffed indeed.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

Oh bless.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I agree.

I was up there a couple of weeks ago with my elderly Father, he was in some pain and remains in hospital at present.

I looked around the waiting room and I could only see one person that obviously needed hospital attention, the others maybe had bumps and scrapes or nothing of any significance, why oh why they chose to sit up A&E for hours clogging up the system god only knows, made me extremely angry TBH.

I have friends that seem to take their children up to the doctors or A&E at the slightest ailment, shame on them really.

Camicus

Whilst you were sitting there whining some poor fucker was dying. A+E dont keep you there waiting for giggles its because someone who is in a worse situation than you is being seen to accident +EMERGENCY the clues in the name

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Some dislocations can be pretty f***ed up so an emergency ward is a good place to go. Finger blocks if required are horrendously painful, but in time delightfully wonderful and a GP can't do them.

I've visited a GP for a dislocation and he couldn't do what was required to put it back in.

In the past I have gone to the walking wounded centres. There is one at Lewes vic hospital and another down from Brighton station. the waiting times shorter than a&e and they can bandage up broken bones.
This. There should be more of them. But folk always demand that their "local" A&E should be kept open as a fully functioning "centre of excellence". That way, it will ALWAYS be the case that a chap with a dislocated finger will be kept waiting while major trauma cases are seen first.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Don't blame the OP for going to the hospital for the finger but get real. The downside of A&E is the boring wait. The upside is that the boring wait means you're definitely not dying. Long live the NHS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here