Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A business idea...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A bit like a community pub. It's a shame we don't all live within a few miles of each other and could pop down to our own pub and plow our spending back into the business.

It would probably be a bit lively towards the end of the evening though.

Will there be a 1901 snug?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Something to squash the contents of your recycling bin down. Maybe that you could fill with water to increase the weight and then easily take water out again?

I can't be alone in struggling to get two weeks worth of recycling squashed into a bin, especially with so much being delivered now and all the cardboard that generates.

I like it! I'll give you 25% of the money, for 95% of the company.

A cautionary tale
Circa 18 months ago, Mrs Fats was on a shift in A&E, and yours fatly was 'looking after' the children. At some point, I took the rubbish and recycling out, into the rain and loaded it into the correct wheelie bins. It turns out that Mrs Fats - or perhaps more likely, Fats Junior - had been out a few days previously and dumped some recycling into the bin. Some of you may recall, that both of these people apply no logic whatsoever to any aspect of their lives, so the bin was of course entirely full with unfolded, non-crushed cardboard. Not a problem for the Fat one. I simply climbed into the bin and started stamping it all down. A few moments later, I was exiting the bin when I slipped in the wet, and landed sideways on top of it. The one millimetre thick, rigid plastic smashed into the underside of my ribs, the other side of the bin meeting my leg. I flipped out of the bin and onto the concrete. I quickly jumped up, concerned that my neighbours might have seen this move. I fell down again. I grabbed a nearby car wing mirror (mine) and hauled myself to my feet. Took one step and fell again. My leg wasn't working. I also couldn't breathe properly. Something was definitely wrong.

I had to drag myself from the back and into the house... "Hi Jackie", I said cheerfully, to my confused and worried looking neighbour as I crawled by. I slumped into the lounge, and was immediately jumped on by an excited four-year old and a labrador. I screamed in pain and they screamed with joy and this game. After a few very difficult moments, I managed to get them off me and went and lay on the kitchen floor to recover. Five minutes later I was up and breathing with difficulty, checking out my injuries. My leg was working again and felt reassuringly solid, despite the strange colour. Something was not right with my ribs. I took two paracetamol, assuming this would fix everything in due course. It did not and I ended up tucking my metaphorical tail between my legs, and heading off to A&E. Where my little kids spent the waiting time telling everyone "Daddy fell in the bin" and laughing their stupid heads off.

After some scans and sage advice about jumping around in bins, I was given medical attention (consisting of ice FFS) and headed home with some stronger pain relief. That's a different story, because it turns out my body really doesn't like co-codamol, or whatever that poison is called. Always good to find that out on a packed train into London

In short, I endorse this bin crushing idea.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Something to squash the contents of your recycling bin down. Maybe that you could fill with water to increase the weight and then easily take water out again?

I can't be alone in struggling to get two weeks worth of recycling squashed into a bin, especially with so much being delivered now and all the cardboard that generates.

Could you inflate it with a foot pump rather than fill it with water which would be heavy?

Two plates with a rubber 'balloon' inside, you put it on the rubbish and close the lid, start pumping and the bottom plate would lower crushing the rubbish below as the balloon inflates. Once it is to a decent level, you remove the stopper, release the air and bob is your fathers brother.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Could you inflate it with a foot pump rather than fill it with water which would be heavy?

Two plates with a rubber 'balloon' inside, you put it on the rubbish and close the lid, start pumping and the bottom plate would lower crushing the rubbish below as the balloon inflates. Once it is to a decent level, you remove the stopper, release the air and bob is your fathers brother.

Isn't it more likely that the top plate would rise, thus opening the lid of the bin rather than crushing the recycling? I think you've just invented the internal bin lid opener. Patent the idea, quick.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Isn't it more likely that the top plate would rise, thus opening the lid of the bin rather than crushing the recycling? I think you've just invented the internal bin lid opener. Patent the idea, quick.

Hmm....maybe add something to clip the top plate to the top of the bin so it doesn't rise up.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Small children can't be put up a chimney nowadays, so you use them to jump up and down on the recycling to compress it, obviously some children are better, in fact the ones who wouldn't fit up chimneys are probably the best.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Small children can't be put up a chimney nowadays, so you use them to jump up and down on the recycling to compress it, o

Wouldn't it be better to use large children?

OfficialAgedHedgehog-size_restricted.gif

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When I worked at a college the caretaker used to walk from bin to bin crushing them down when they were full of packaging ( the bins were big.) we set up a false top of thin polystyrene and watched him drop to the bottom:.. He fractured his arm so we couldn’t really laugh ��

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pitta Pockets. Like a Ginster's pasty, but a small, filled, microwaveable pitta.

"You've gotta Pitta Pocket or two!"

(Basically I worked from the jingle backwards.)

I'm asking for £250,000 for 10% of the company. I'm up for Deborah Meaden. She seems alright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here