Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9 Games Left - Loan Striker?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The root of the argument really is that we're second with this squad. It hasn't done so drastically bad that there should be in desperation to change it for the last 9 games. I don't disagree that any strengthening of our forward line for the run in would be a positive, but then neither I am so disparaging of our current forward line that I believe our season is dependent on it.

Fair enough. BTW I have not slagged off our current strikers just given my brief assessment of each. I called one of them average (at our level). Hardly a slag-fest, is it!?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
So it's personal but you don't believe it will happen anyway?

Yup. Opinion and gut instinct at the moment.
Worth noting that I don't think any less of people who believe he will join or want him here (except Mellotron). All about different viewpoints and that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I may not have been as clear as I needed to be.

Same hypothetical, all of the above, however you are the Manager and the Chairman has agreed to spend on 1 emergency loan transfer for the rest of the season if required.
The Chairman has also expressed his desire to get promoted this season.

What do you do?

How is that question any different to what I have answered?

I'd get a striker in if there was one available. Pretty sure that is what I answered before. One being available is of course a completely different hypothetical scenario.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Squad seem to be a real unit and all together. Why upset that by bringing anyone in. Look in the past what has happened to teams who've done the same.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
A hypothetical, you're TB, it's Saturday the 19th March and BHA have 8 games to go (MK Dons was a 1-1 draw).
You've got the cash to bring in someone on loan for 6-7 weeks if needed.
You've no new injuries and Zamora played 60 minutes and scored in the 1-1 draw against MK.
The transfer window closes 5 in 5 days.
What would you do?

Who is this someone. Have they been playing regular football to as high a standard as.the players I already have. With just 8 games to go will they have to spend time getting up to match speed, will it take time to gel with the players in the team?
Alternatively I could always stick with the team that has worked bloody hard this season, battled against a crippling injury list, had to answer the doubters who don't think we score enough, yet are 4th highest scorers in the division!
Personally I'd keep the faith... But then I'm not a professional gambler!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yup. Opinion and gut instinct at the moment.
Worth noting that I don't think any less of people who believe he will join or want him here (except Mellotron). All about different viewpoints and that.

I guess you and Mellotron are in dispute on the subject.

So if you take the personal issue out and it was Peter Crouch for example, would you be happy to strengthen the squad with him?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I guess you and Mellotron are in dispute on the subject.

So if you take the personal issue out and it was Peter Crouch for example, would you be happy to strengthen the squad with him?

Gentle ribbing after he called me out based upon a tweet from a bullshit account.
Crouchy? I'd love to see him play in the stripes. Just for the comedy really. But no: imagine how we'd have to change our approach with him in the team? Forget counter-attacking and pace - just lump it up to Big Pete.
IMO it would be a mistake to add another body to a squad that's: already plenty big enough, and that is currently playing for each other.
Maybe it would work: maybe not. Feels like an unnecessary gamble to me. But I'm just a nobody on a forum so my opinion isn't worth all that much :)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Personally I'd keep the faith... But then I'm not a professional gambler!

:thumbsup: Just interested in other's opinions.

I wish I was confident that our current strikers will do the business for the last 8 games, but I'd be much more confident knowing we have extra firepower and/or an injury replacement.

I guess we'll see what TB/CH think in the next 8 days.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From Murray's point of view his choice will be training in Bournemouth but not making the bench, or training in locally with a good chance of playing. I would play him on his own merit from what he is like in training.

What would you choose if you were he?
Sorry just seen your reply....tbh that's impossible to answer :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I must have missed that ..who confirmed BZ is injured? (Out of curiosity)

That's why he didn't make bench last night. I believe it was confirmed on radio Snooze...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
:thumbsup: Just interested in other's opinions.

I wish I was confident that our current strikers will do the business for the last 8 games, but I'd be much more confident knowing we have extra firepower and/or an injury replacement.

I guess we'll see what TB/CH think in the next 8 days.

I guess back-up wouldn't hurt, but to be honest CH appears to have several variables. In recent games we have played BZ & TH, JW & SB, TH & SB, JS & BZ - granted if we had two injuries to any of those it would limit our options, but how far down the pecking order do you cover, just in case?
Where dO you find someone who is available, prepared to play second, third or even fourth choice, but wil be capable of stepping up when required,
Glen Murray who appears to be everyone's choice, has played 5 minutes of league football in the last two months, not really match ready is he. Difficult to find someone at this late stage who will actually help...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Glen Murray who appears to be everyone's choice, has played 5 minutes of league football in the last two months, not really match ready is he. Difficult to find someone at this late stage who will actually help...

GM is a difficult one, as you've said he's likely not 100% match-fit.
However, if he was to come to us for the last few games, he'd be playing out of his skin for a permanent contract with us imo.

I can't think of anyone else who is available and could hit the ground running. Lambert perhaps?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Gentle ribbing after he called me out based upon a tweet from a bullshit account.
Crouchy? I'd love to see him play in the stripes. Just for the comedy really. But no: imagine how we'd have to change our approach with him in the team? Forget counter-attacking and pace - just lump it up to Big Pete.
IMO it would be a mistake to add another body to a squad that's: already plenty big enough, and that is currently playing for each other.
Maybe it would work: maybe not. Feels like an unnecessary gamble to me. But I'm just a nobody on a forum so my opinion isn't worth all that much :)

I don't buy the gamble excuse, love him or loath him the fact remains he would be a cost effective insurance policy :)

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I don't buy the gamble excuse, love him or loath him the fact remains he would be a cost effective insurance policy :)

He isn't going to come to be an 'insurance policy'. He'd want to play games, which would in turn knock Wilson, Baldock, Hemed or Bob out of the squad permanently.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He isn't going to come to be an 'insurance policy'. He'd want to play games, which would in turn knock Wilson, Baldock, Hemed or Bob out of the squad permanently.

We can have a debate about hindsight and expecting the unexpected, or not, at the end of the season but IMO it would be right to get him.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
We can have a debate about hindsight and expecting the unexpected, or not, at the end of the season but IMO it would be right to get him.

I look forward to doing so with a reasonable chap (or chapette) like yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here